• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

It was bound to happen...spam rage

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I used to think those were bad until I started getting tons of disturbing e-mails about "girls on the farm." Now they should be threatened.

I can barely leave my cell phone on anymore because I get lots of pre-recorded telemarketer calls. I'll also get lots of mysterious calls for a "Raphael." Hopefully I don't have some druglord's cell phone number.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I never publish a personal e-mail address in a location where the spambots can grep it. For Web sites requiring an e-mail address for registration, I create a new address specifically for e-mail from that site. I tell friends to NEVER send me Internet post cards, "forward this page to a friend" type links, or enter my e-mail address into a Web form unless it's Web-based e-mail that they use.

Even without filters, my spam count is almost zero.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
My work email address is on my business card -- anybody gets honked off with me -- which never happens, me being a public official and all ;-) -- and they can just load me up with spam. Our ISP has a pretty good blocker, but they are always emailing me to check what they've quarantined as "suspicious mail". I usually just hit "delete all" and go on about my business.

I get zero spam at my home email address.

donk

Cyburbian
I get almost zero on my home account.

My work one I get a bit. The main reason was a bad date last year, I met someone at a work function, gave her my card, she ended up being a pyscho and subscribed me to tons of things.

I'm the spam queen. It comes at me from all directions. I think I only have one email addy that is presently spam free (knock-on wood, of course).

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
My home account gets like 1 spam mail a day or so, sometimes less. And incredibly, my hotmail account recieves none! (i've had others that recieved like 10 a day)

BKM

Cyburbian
At work, I was beginning to get "inappropriate" spam at work (I can blame only myself) so our IT Department changed the address for me.