• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

It's Michelle Zone's Birthday

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Happy birthday!!!!

Buy yourself something nice:

:-D

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Before humans had a way of keeping time, no one paid much attention to the anniversary of important events, such as birthdays. Only when ancient peoples began taking notice of the moon's cycles, did they pay attention to the changing seasons and the pattern that repeated itself over and over. Eventually, the first calendars were formulated in order to mark time changes and other special days. From this tracking system came the ability to celebrate birthdays and other significant anniversaries the same day each year.

Evidence of birthday observances dates back before the rise of Christianity. In pagan cultures, people feared evil spirits - especially on their birthdays. It was a common belief that evil spirits were more dangerous to a person when he or she experienced a change in their daily life, such as turning a year older. As a result, birthdays were merry occasions celebrated with family and friends, who surrounded the person of honor with laughter and joy in order to protect them from evil. Instead of gifts, most guests brought positive thoughts and happy wishes for the upcoming year. However, if well-wishers did bring gifts, it was considered an especially good influence for the birthday person.

Although historians are certain that people have observed their birthdays for quite some time, there are few records of such celebrations that still exist. Of these few descriptions, only those birthdays of kings, high-ranking nobility, and other important figures have been documented. Common people and especially children never celebrated their birth when the idea came about. This trend has been explained by a theory that nobility were the only people wealthy enough to throw such celebrations, and quite possibly were the only ones deemed important enough to have been written about or remembered. Some historians believe these early birthday bashes resulted in the custom of wearing birthday "crowns" as time went on.

Eventually, birthday celebrations became a tradition around the world with young and old, rich or poor. Although birthday customs are quite similar in some countries today, not everyone celebrates in the same way. Different people have incorporated their own rituals into the birthday celebration, based on spiritual beliefs and ancient cultural traditions. While you may find some of them odd, or even humorous, each one is unique.

Happy birthday, MZ!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Before humans had a way of keeping time, no one paid much attention to the anniversary of important events, such as birthdays...

[snip]

While you may find some of them odd, or even humorous, each one is unique.

Happy birthday, MZ!
You beat me to it Cardinal! Too funny!

Happy birthday MZ... enjoy it with all the fervor you put into your posts here on Cyburbia! :) :)

Thanks, Everyone!

And with Mendelman's generosity, I can now afford that building I want -- if I can only get it to print off properly. :p

Wanigas, you will have to explain to me the use of the present you left for me. What can I do with infrasonic sound? Does that mean my pathetic lungs might start working properly? :-D

Cardinal, your generosity (of time and words) is noted and appreciated. :)

I think this is the biggest birthday bash I have ever had -- 23 Cyber-guests so far and the day isn't over. (I was such a nerd in high school I couldn't bribe people to attend my parties. :-0 )

Cardinal said:
I was wondering if anyone would get it. ;)
Okay, now I feel like I have missed something. Please, let me in on the joke. :)

I also wanted to say earlier (but forgot) that I figured Rem would start this, what with that Time Zone Advantage that he and a few others have. Thanks, Rem. :)

And thanks again to all those who decided to drop by this Party and send their birthday wishes.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Hey - Happy Birthday Michelle - Your the best long-form pontificator ever! :-D

Cardinal said:
Just poking fun of your penchant for lengthy posts. :)
Oh, duh. lol.

I was REALLY tired all day. I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was. :-D

And thanks eG. Although I think you and Dan sometimes post longer stuff than I ever have. You just don't do it as often -- probably cuz you two have actual jobs. :-D ;-) :p

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Hope you had a great day Michele.
Belated wishes to you.
I read in another post of your that it's your son's birthday too.

So hope you are having a full week or so of celebrations. :)

Oh, thanks. Yes, I have had a good day. And we already did a "bah, humbug" style gift for the kid (where he picks it out, I pay, and in the car I crack jokes about "now, act surprised when you open it!" and "I hope you got exactly what you wanted!") and we might go see Harry Potter this weekend. He hates suspense, and is none too keen on surprises. He likes really, really low-key "celebrations" where we don't bug him too much. :-D I am cool with that. :)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Cardinal said:
Before humans had a way of keeping time, no one paid much attention to the anniversary of important events, such as birthdays. Only when ancient peoples began taking notice of the moon's cycles, did they pay attention to the changing seasons and the pattern that repeated itself over and over. Eventually, the first calendars were formulated in order to mark time changes and other special days. From this tracking system came the ability to celebrate birthdays and other significant anniversaries the same day each year.

[snip]

Happy birthday, MZ!
I thought I was the only one who got the joke ... until I scrolled down a bit.

Happy birthday, MZ. :)

Attachments