• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

It's Monday, man!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So this weekend Junior contrived to get himself grounded. Told me he was going to a friend's house to pick up a book and would be back 'as long as it took him to go there and back.' Three hours later he comes strolling through the door. No excuses, just tells us their friend's dog had a litter and he was playing with the puppy. :-@

gtpeach

Cyburbian
So this weekend Junior contrived to get himself grounded. Told me he was going to a friend's house to pick up a book and would be back 'as long as it took him to go there and back.' Three hours later he comes strolling through the door. No excuses, just tells us their friend's dog had a litter and he was playing with the puppy. :-@
Eh. I probably would've done the same thing. #worthit

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
this belong in the never ending thread raising children thread.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Did anyone watch 'Star Trek: Discovery' after the Packers game? I liked it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Did anyone watch 'Star Trek: Discovery' after the Packers game? I liked it.
IMO, it freaking sucked. I expected it to TBH. As much as CBS has made it clear that the show is not "New-Trek", it is. There was nothing familiar besides the various Trek sounds (red alert, communication noises, etc.). The Klingons look like crap, the technology is totally out of place if it's supposed to be in the timeline of TOS, the whole ship looked dark and scary, the acting was absolutely abysmal, the main character is a complete jerk, the ship looks weird, and there wasn't a single freaking shot that wasn't at some weird angle. This is just a much worse version of Enterprise...

I guessed in one of The Orville Reddit threads that The Orville will be more Trek than Discovery, and it was spot on. The Orville is a MUCH better show and is far better than Discovery at continuing the general Trek message.

I'm protesting because I don't want to pay to watch it online.
I was considering getting CBS All Access to watch it, but I'm not going to bother now. I'll pirate the show if it starts to get good reviews later on. I suspect this show will be an afterthought in a year.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I guessed in one of The Orville Reddit threads that The Orville will be more Trek than Discovery, and it was spot on. The Orville is a MUCH better show and is far better than Discovery at continuing the general Trek message.

I definitely get the updated, snarky Star Trek vibe from The Orville. Now, they just need shirts. The Orville is getting better after the misstep of the premiere.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I would suggest you invest in something like THIS if you are near a metro area. We get all the major channels for free and it is AWESOME!
I'm curious about this. Where I'm moving, I'll have high-speed broadband and my contract will be for about $50 per month just for internet. I was thinking about doing something like Sling instead of cable, but Sling doesn't come with a lot of the local channels. Is this to be installed inside or outside or either? It looks like the available options I would have would mostly be in the moderate to weak category, so I don't know if this would really be all that helpful or not.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I would suggest you invest in something like THIS if you are near a metro area. We get all the major channels for free and it is AWESOME!
That wouldn't work, the show is literally available ONLY though CBS All Access, their proprietary online streaming service. It will not be broadcast through network television. Dumbest thing ever. They did the same thing to "The Good Wife" spin off "The Good Fight" and I hear daily complaints from my mom about it.

I'm curious about this. Where I'm moving, I'll have high-speed broadband and my contract will be for about $50 per month just for internet. I was thinking about doing something like Sling instead of cable, but Sling doesn't come with a lot of the local channels. Is this to be installed inside or outside or either? It looks like the available options I would have would mostly be in the moderate to weak category, so I don't know if this would really be all that helpful or not.
I use both an antenna and Sling. I have the Blue package for Sling because it gives me access to Hurricanes and Hornets games through Fox Sports South. The antenna covers locally broadcast channels. I don't live in a super metro area, but I pick up most channels fine, I do not get NBC though, but they stream most shows through Roku for free anyways. In addition to Sling, I have Netflix, Crunchyroll (streaming anime), and HBO. I'm around $60 a month for all that, although I can easily drop HBO since GoT is over for the year.

There are a few different types of over the air antennas. The indoor one that Mskis posted is the most common. That's what I have and it works fine. I had a little trouble getting clear signal with it against the wall. I taped it to a window and it works great now. Eventually I want to upgrade to one of THESE but first I need access to my attic. That should cover me for just about anything really.

DVD

Cyburbian
I talked to a few people in the area about it. It sounds like these antennas work like crap here. It's not a big enough metro to have its own broadcasting dish. I think everything comes out of Wichita. We're also in a valley so what I'm hearing is the signals just pass over our heads. Either way you only seem to get a couple channels off an HD antenna. Even if you get the nice attic mounted kind. I'm stuck over paying for Cox (which just sounds wrong when you say it out load).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The Las Vegas mass murder story is absolutely depressing. I don't blame anyone for not posting on that 'mass murder' thread I started. Too dark/disturbing of a discussion to have here today.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I've been sick or borderline sick for a week now. Started as just a bit of a cough, and then escalated into full-blown congestion/cough/drainage/aches over the weekend. Now it's back to some congestion and a little cough.

I'm sick of being sick. And on a Monday? This had better be the end.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The Las Vegas mass murder story is absolutely depressing. I don't blame anyone for not posting on that 'mass murder' thread I started. Too dark/disturbing of a discussion to have here today.
I applaud and appreciate people not getting all political on here yet. We don't know what happened yet, why this guy did what he did, how he got the guns, or how long he was planning it. All we do know is there are hundreds of people who's lives will be changed forever and at least 50 families who received the worst news possible.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
And the great thing about it is that since it wasn't a Muslim who did it we as a country won't spend like 50B on some sort of "security" plan that doesn't work. We'll just offer "thoughts and prayers" to the victims, have some talking heads on TV drone on about mental health and gun control and absolutely nothing will change. That's not political by the way. It's just the facts.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
And the great thing about it is that since it wasn't a Muslim who did it we as a country won't spend like 50B on some sort of "security" plan that doesn't work. We'll just offer "thoughts and prayers" to the victims, have some talking heads on TV drone on about mental health and gun control and absolutely nothing will change. That's not political by the way. It's just the facts.
You are right, and that's the second reason why it is so depressing (the first being the catastrophic loss of life). Hotels and venues will add more security, costs to private sector and individuals will go up (time and financial costs). But nothing else will be done, we'll just wait for the next event to occur. And the next one.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
You are wrong... I am not watching TV so I see no talking heads!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
You are wrong... I am not watching TV so I see no talking heads!
YOU may not see it on tv, but rest assured MD Planner spells out quite accurately what will (and won't) publicly transpire following this tragedy.

Planit

Cyburbian
Catching up on a week's worth of stuff after being at the state planning conference. UGH!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It was in the upper 80's yesterday. Tomorrow morning it might be in the 30's when I wake up. :-c

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Drove to work today with the driver's side window down. First time in the new car and the first time since April

Got recognized at work for an award I won in planning.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Feeling very chatty today. Like want to talk a lot today. Don't know what's up with that.

Anyone want to write my weekly comments memo for the CM? Anybody?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Two good things to register for this past weekend:
1) we got the house decorated for Halloween
2) found out we can get a copy of our car key (has a chip) at a local hardware store for about $80, as opposed to the dealership (where they'll want several hundred)

kms

Cyburbian
The office building is under renovation. Jack hammers have been hammering the floor below mine all day. If someone here calls from their desk phone, I hear it in stereo.

One of my directors kept me here for two additional hours on Thursday. He plans on coming in today, and I told him that I'm leaving at two for a meeting. He's still not here, so I'm leaving.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The leaves have been clinging to the trees unusually long this year. Thanksgiving is this week and I'd guess 30-40% of the leaves are still attached. That's not entirely a bad thing.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I have not pinpointed why, but I am feeling freaking awesome today. I have not accomplished everything on my to-do list and it has been busy.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
We got maybe 4 inches of lake effect snow. They're calling for a couple more this week. Kind of a nice intro to the Christmas season (remember we're still in that 'snow is charming and picturesque' stage of the season).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It's safe to say the world is no longer basking in the kind, considerate, peace to your fellow man glow of the holidays. The phone won't stop ringing and everybody wants whatever they want yesterday.

kms

Cyburbian
I used part of my holiday to drive to State College in order to avoid driving up here in the snow.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So a week ago while shopping my favorite indie book store I ran into a guy I used to associate with back in high school. I don't recall him being an obnoxious idiot back then, but his behavior certainly warrants that description now. The conversation started out nice enough with the expected catching up on each other's lives... to the point I made the mistake of exchanging some contact information (email). Then after 10 minutes he shifts gears and starts up about he's now Born Again and that basically I really need to get right with Jesus or else I'll spend eternity in HELL. I tried to be nice about it and offered a gentle rebuff by letting him know about how I've actually thought about this matter a great deal but after consideration absent some new data/experience I'm remaining staunchly agnostic and thanks but no thanks. But he would. Not. Let. It. Rest. No, he considered himself much too good a friend to let me make the kind of foolish mistake that would cost me my eternal soul. ad nauseum.

Finally, I had to pry myself out of the conversation with an awkward glance at my watch and 'just look at the time' excuse to get the heck out of there. It was an upsetting experience and I thought it was done. But it turns out it wasn't. Now he's sending me freakin' email screeds filled with pages of Bible quotes (I hate to break it to him but I am probably far more knowledgeable about the Bible's contents than he is) and of witnessing kinda crap and how he's praying for me blah blah blah. Yeesh! I haven't sent him a STFU I never want to hear from you again response but I'm only one email away from it. How the heck do you maintain an egalitarian/reciprocal association with someone when one the parties feels you're morally inferior to them? I'm sure the guy means well in his own way but I don't think he recognizes how obnoxious he's coming off. So that's my Monday, man! Hope yours is going better.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
So a week ago while shopping my favorite indie book store I ran into a guy I used to associate with back in high school. I don't recall him being an obnoxious idiot back then, but his behavior certainly warrants that description now. The conversation started out nice enough with the expected catching up on each other's lives... to the point I made the mistake of exchanging some contact information (email). Then after 10 minutes he shifts gears and starts up about he's now Born Again and that basically I really need to get right with Jesus or else I'll spend eternity in HELL. I tried to be nice about it and offered a gentle rebuff by letting him know about how I've actually thought about this matter a great deal but after consideration absent some new data/experience I'm remaining staunchly agnostic and thanks but no thanks. But he would. Not. Let. It. Rest. No, he considered himself much too good a friend to let me make the kind of foolish mistake that would cost me my eternal soul. ad nauseum.

Finally, I had to pry myself out of the conversation with an awkward glance at my watch and 'just look at the time' excuse to get the heck out of there. It was an upsetting experience and I thought it was done. But it turns out it wasn't. Now he's sending me freakin' email screeds filled with pages of Bible quotes (I hate to break it to him but I am probably far more knowledgeable about the Bible's contents than he is) and of witnessing kinda crap and how he's praying for me blah blah blah. Yeesh! I haven't sent him a STFU I never want to hear from you again response but I'm only one email away from it. How the heck do you maintain an egalitarian/reciprocal association with someone when one the parties feels you're morally inferior to them? I'm sure the guy means well in his own way but I don't think he recognizes how obnoxious he's coming off. So that's my Monday, man! Hope yours is going better.
Dude. Just turn up the heat and throw it back. Start sending him crazy, nonsensical Cult rants about the Black Hebrew Israelite's or the Manson Family or something to scare him away :lmao:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Dude. Just turn up the heat and throw it back. Start sending him crazy, nonsensical Cult rants about the Black Hebrew Israelite's or the Manson Family or something to scare him away :lmao:
I seriously considered doing something like that, but nah, if it's possible I'll take the high road here. Just cuz he's a schmuck doesn't mean I have to be one too.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
It was 12 degrees outside on the drive in this morning, but it somehow felt colder. Supposed to get up to 40 on Weds. which won't be enough to melt all the snow but might take the 6 foot snow piles down to four and a half.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So after the time change I can't help but notice the mornings are like December again and it's dark out on the commute in. I suppose the plus side, though, is that because it's light later it's possible to do more grilling dinners after work.

Planit

Cyburbian
It started snowing here during the morning "rush" - it's sticking to the grass and cars but not on the roads.

There are a few here freaking out (& I'm amused). The Girl is still in school right now, but 2 of the 3 school districts are now closed.

Throw in the time change too for fun.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a little gloomy this morning. I think half of Bella's school was late. We got there at 8:10 and there were like 3 kids so she refused to get out of the car until more showed up.

Jammed out to AC/DC's Back in Black album on the way to work. I could do it because RT wasn't riding with me :D

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Junior is coming into possession of moderate amounts of cash (e.g. $8) and has no allowance. He also hasn't walked any dogs or shoveled driveways for anyone like he's done in the past for well over three months. I'm fairly sure he already spent his Strategic Cash Reserve over a month ago. Which makes me wonder where he's getting the money.:smirk:

kms

Cyburbian
I made it through winter without getting sick. Until today, and someone's cold caught me.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Junior's spring break ended today. He didn't go anywhere or do anything remarkable at all. He did, however, have a friend over for a sleepover on Saturday. The last time this kid got invited to Junior's sleepover, he spent 75% of his time on the damned phone and this frustrated Junior to no end. He didn't do that this time. So that's good.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have allergies and a chest cold at the same time. I wish I could have stayed home.