• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

It's Monday, man!

Michele Zone

BANNED
I'm really derptastic today. I was blaming it on sleeping only 3 or 4 hours or something stupid like that, but, hey, let's go with your theory and blame it on Mondays. I like that.

"It's not me. It's the universe/calendar/some random outside force I have no control over."

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I have allergies and a chest cold at the same time. I wish I could have stayed home.
My day started out with an asthma attack, then progressed to burst ear drum and ended up with a visit to the doc in a box with a bronchitis diagnosis complete with a shot and meds.:r::not::wall:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
So this weekend Mrs. Maister's allergies went into overdrive. Lots of unpleasant things usually follow.

kms

Cyburbian
I'm the only person in the office: most of staff is picking up litter on our adopted road. Part-time admin isn't here yet, and another admin called off.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
A local cidery wanted to put in a huge processing building. I was somewhat suspicious of it, and asked them to provide a copy of their farm winery license, which they did. I just found out we have access to the ABC database showing all the active ABC licenses. Turns out, this cidery has two licenses - one is a farm winery license (which is allowed), and the other is an unlimited production winery (which is not allowed). Both licenses were issued for the same property. I just caught it on a fluke - I wasn't looking to bust them. This is going to be fun to figure out...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
A local cidery wanted to put in a huge processing building. I was somewhat suspicious of it, and asked them to provide a copy of their farm winery license, which they did. I just found out we have access to the ABC database showing all the active ABC licenses. Turns out, this cidery has two licenses - one is a farm winery license (which is allowed), and the other is an unlimited production winery (which is not allowed). Both licenses were issued for the same property. I just caught it on a fluke - I wasn't looking to bust them. This is going to be fun to figure out...
So let's say they're allowed to open a farm winery in your county. I gather there's a limit on the volume of alcohol that can be manufactured and distributed. An unlimited license presumably doesn't have the same restrictions. So how would enforcement work if they got approved for the farm winery but then started selling jillions of gallons beyond what they're permitted. How do you monitor or prove it?

gtpeach

Cyburbian
So let's say they're allowed to open a farm winery in your county. I gather there's a limit on the volume of alcohol that can be manufactured and distributed. An unlimited license presumably doesn't have the same restrictions. So how would enforcement work if they got approved for the farm winery but then started selling jillions of gallons beyond what they're permitted. How do you monitor or prove it?
I'm relying on using the state definitions and licenses for monitoring, which I think is legitimate since the state has codes for allowing these in ag areas that pre-empt local government regulations. These have not been monitored closely in the past, but one of our Board members has been raising a lot of concern about them taking advantage of the system, so it's something the Building Official and I have decided to take on. Basically, once the operation exceeds the farm winery license, they're out of compliance with the zoning ordinance. I'm trying to get some clarification from ABC before I raise the issue with the county admin and attorney.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I'm relying on using the state definitions and licenses for monitoring, which I think is legitimate since the state has codes for allowing these in ag areas that pre-empt local government regulations. These have not been monitored closely in the past, but one of our Board members has been raising a lot of concern about them taking advantage of the system, so it's something the Building Official and I have decided to take on. Basically, once the operation exceeds the farm winery license, they're out of compliance with the zoning ordinance. I'm trying to get some clarification from ABC before I raise the issue with the county admin and attorney.
I'd get that clarification from ABC, but I gather the State is ultimately in charge of enforcement here. They're the entity with access to all the accounting and presumably the resources for tracking/enforcement. If the applicant meets the criteria necessary for operation of a farm winery, I don't see how the County could put brakes on just because some commissioner thinks an applicant is going to break the law at some point in the future.

EDIT - I do think the county is obligated to ask if they are applying also to operate an unlimited production facility at this location. If they answer yes, they could be denied on that basis (but could still operate the farm winery).

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I'd get that clarification from ABC, but I gather the State is ultimately in charge of enforcement here. They're the entity with access to all the accounting and presumably the resources for tracking/enforcement. If the applicant meets the criteria necessary for operation of a farm winery, I don't see how the County could put brakes on just because some commissioner thinks an applicant is going to break the law at some point in the future.

EDIT - I do think the county is obligated to ask if they are applying also to operate an unlimited production facility at this location. If they answer yes, they could be denied on that basis (but could still operate the farm winery).
Yes - the farm winery is allowed regardless. It's what they're doing under the umbrella of the unlimited winery that's the problem. The worst case is that they would have to scale back to the limited farm winery use at that location. It gets sticky, though, because this is a major industry/tourism attraction here. I'm going to be very careful with how I proceed.

kjel

Super Moderator
Got to the office only to leave about 15 minutes later to be on a site inspection where everyone else was late and generally a waste of time.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Yes - the farm winery is allowed regardless. It's what they're doing under the umbrella of the unlimited winery that's the problem. The worst case is that they would have to scale back to the limited farm winery use at that location. It gets sticky, though, because this is a major industry/tourism attraction here. I'm going to be very careful with how I proceed.
So could they open a B&B Wedding Venue and call it Agritourism?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
So this weekend I grilled kebobs using pork, and a whole chicken. Both meals were unqualified successes.

Planit

Cyburbian
The CM was out of the office the last 3 days of last week. Today he's here with a sense of panic trying to catch up on the things that piled up on his desk.

I've had to deal with one such item 4 times now because he wouldn't sit down and let me explain it to him first - when 10 minutes would have saved an hour or more.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
The CM was out of the office the last 3 days of last week. Today he's here with a sense of panic trying to catch up on the things that piled up on his desk.

I've had to deal with one such item 4 times now because he wouldn't sit down and let me explain it to him first - when 10 minutes would have saved an hour or more.
A stitch in time saves nine.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
It's like I have a revolving door today. Seriously, people have actually been lined up in the lobby waiting to talk to me without an appointment. I'm all for drop-bys; really I am. But if they could coordinate with each other and not all pile up on one day (a Monday, no less), that'd be better.

^o)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
So I had a crappy night's sleep last night. Naturally, that means I've got a night meeting with a long agenda this evening.:-{

michaelskis

Cyburbian
It is hot and sunny today and I am loving it. Today is actually a terrific day despite having to more somewhere between 13 and 15 hours today.

Planit

Cyburbian
Didn't sleep well last night and this morning went to a 5-hour DOT workshop.

kms

Cyburbian
I’m sitting in a Speedway store waiting for my coworker to show up with the spare key. I have no idea where it is, but I can tell you without a doubt that’s it’s not in the trash can where I tossed some things on my way into the store. :-@

Maister

Chairman of the bored
We're getting slammed in every direction at work. There was a huge influx of complaints, building permits, variance applications, staff reports and plan reviews submitted all within the space of three business days.8-!

terraplnr

Cyburbian
My timing belt blew this morning but it had the decency to do it after the kiddos were safely at school. My youngest really wants me to replace my 1997 Camry with a "Batmanmobile" but unfortunately for him I'm coughing up the money to keep old Bessie on the road for as long as possible.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
My timing belt blew this morning but it had the decency to do it after the kiddos were safely at school. My youngest really wants me to replace my 1997 Camry with a "Batmanmobile" but unfortunately for him I'm coughing up the money to keep old Bessie on the road for as long as possible.
I did that with my 2006 Camry until I managed to total it.

kms

Cyburbian
Just once, I’d like to ask, “If you’re worried about water, why do you live at the bottom of the hill?”

Doohickie

Cyburbian
This is basically the worst Monday of the year. It's the first time my wife doesn't have to go to work for the summer (she's a teacher). So it's just me getting up, feeding the animals, etc. ALL ALONE. :-c

kms

Cyburbian
This is basically the worst Monday of the year. It's the first time my wife doesn't have to go to work for the summer (she's a teacher). So it's just me getting up, feeding the animals, etc. ALL ALONE. :-c
Wow. No one can top this one.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
I have to try to re-write a small area plan that the guy before me started that formatted in some complicated format assuming it was finished before it ever got approved by anyone. It didn't have any actual recommendations. The recommendations were "decide which of these growth strategies would be preferable for the area." In my mind, the purpose of the plan should be to state which of the growth strategies would be best for the area.

The PC spent several months doing workshops to redline some of the goals and objectives and I think overall we're in good shape. But now I have to go back and actually review the full text to make sure everything is consistent.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Me: Yay, I survived the hectic travel out west Client A wanted me to spend the first half of the year on.

Client B: You know that work you did for Client A? I want you to do that at a bunch of sites for me by the end of September, but it's totally all on the eastern seaboard.

Me: Okay, gimme a week to recover and plan and we'll be all over that.

Client A: Um, yeah, when you're done that, I'll have more western sites for you starting in October.

Me: (crawls into desk fort)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Welcome back to work after a week off....112 unread emails greeted me this morning. Actually, that's not too bad for a five day period.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Grilled pizza didn't work out this past weekend. I intend to rectify this black mark on my grilling reputation by grilling some porterhouse steaks to perfection tonight.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
So I overslept this morning. The alarm when off, I apparently shut it off instead of snoozing it. My wife is in Austin at a training class, so she wasn't there to nudge me. Suddenly I popped up and went, "OH IT'S MONDAY!" Jumped out of bed, fed the animals, took a shower and dashed off to work... actually got there earlier than usual, although I didn't eat breakfast at home (thank goodness for the cafeteria at work).

gtpeach

Cyburbian
My secretary's brother (20) was in a motorcycle accident over the weekend and is now paralyzed from his upper abdomen down. They had to fuse several of his vertebra together, so his quality of life just shifted significantly. She's here for a few hours this morning, but will be leaving for the afternoon to hang out with him at the hospital. Their dad died earlier this year unexpectedly.

Anyway, there were a few things she wanted to come in and get done. Thankfully, she's close enough to the hospital that she can kind of come and go as needed, which I think will be helpful since we're all pretty close and can provide support. And also, they were able to get their dad's estate in order before this happened. But this has been a terrible year for them and I wish so badly that I could do something to ease the pain and help them, but unfortunately, nothing changes the events that have happened.

Michele Zone

BANNED
A case of the Mondays

I thought of these videos a few days ago and waited until an actual Monday to post them to this thread. I am so proud of my patience and self restraint! :h:

gtpeach, I'm sorry to hear that.

There were a couple of quadruplegics with jobs at the corporation I worked at for over 5 years. I met them briefly. I attended a talk they gave.

I also had to deliver a file to one of them for review once. He was a former surgeon who worked very part time. I think he came in once a week to read the insurance files that we were having a serious problem making a decision on. We had to print out paper copies and hand deliver them to him and an assistant turned the pages for him. But he had unique expertise and the company hired him for that.

Stephen Hawking is probably the most famous wheelchair bound person with a serious career, though his actual medical diagnosis was different from the one you are talking about. I'm also fond of Helen Keller quotes.

Right afterwards, people often wish they had simply died because they think life is simply over. And it's not. Life as they knew it is over.

Though, it's easy for such a point to go over poorly or be taken the wrong way. Even though I'm significantly handicapped, that isn't obvious to other people and I get a lot of negative reactions when I try to sincerely express certain things. I get a lot of "You just don't understand" and "Yeah, get out my face" type reactions.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Right afterwards, people often wish they had simply died because they think life is simply over. And it's not. Life as they knew it is over.

Though, it's easy for such a point to go over poorly or be taken the wrong way. Even though I'm significantly handicapped, that isn't obvious to other people and I get a lot of negative reactions when I try to sincerely express certain things. I get a lot of "You just don't understand" and "Yeah, get out my face" type reactions.
Yes, this is such a huge point. She's clearly very upset, and after he gets stable enough, he'll be transferred to a rehab facility (probably 8 or 9 hours away, but closer to some family members than the other option). That sounds daunting, but I think it will be helpful because he'll be around others that are going through the same thing, and the professionals there should be able to work with him on the mental health side of things in addition to just the physical rehab that he'll have to go through.

But he needs some time to grieve the loss of his former life, and I'm sure most of us would probably be feeling similarly to how he does right now.

Michele Zone

BANNED
Yes, this is such a huge point. She's clearly very upset, and after he gets stable enough, he'll be transferred to a rehab facility (probably 8 or 9 hours away, but closer to some family members than the other option). That sounds daunting, but I think it will be helpful because he'll be around others that are going through the same thing, and the professionals there should be able to work with him on the mental health side of things in addition to just the physical rehab that he'll have to go through.

But he needs some time to grieve the loss of his former life, and I'm sure most of us would probably be feeling similarly to how he does right now.
Yes, he needs to be allowed to be Mad As Hell (or whatever he is feeling) and to express that. Other people shouldn't be trying to shush that for their comfort.

I spent time bedridden. Like 3.5 months. And it took me years to be able to be physically on my feet for long periods (though I have since gone through periods where I walk for hours a day, so I'm pretty recovered).

Anyway, I am really fond of music and music videos for expressing big feels and it was a great way to live vicariously when I was very physically limited.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
My secretary's brother (20) was in a motorcycle accident over the weekend and is now paralyzed from his upper abdomen down. They had to fuse several of his vertebra together, so his quality of life just shifted significantly. She's here for a few hours this morning, but will be leaving for the afternoon to hang out with him at the hospital. Their dad died earlier this year unexpectedly.

Anyway, there were a few things she wanted to come in and get done. Thankfully, she's close enough to the hospital that she can kind of come and go as needed, which I think will be helpful since we're all pretty close and can provide support. And also, they were able to get their dad's estate in order before this happened. But this has been a terrible year for them and I wish so badly that I could do something to ease the pain and help them, but unfortunately, nothing changes the events that have happened.
After things settle down, you may introduce the secretary's brother to John Callahan's work. He was in an auto accident and ended up in a similar situation. He ended up as a cartoonist whose work highlighted his disability. In the interview I linked, he related the following cartoon which was the inspiration for the title of his book:

...a bunch of horsemen, a posse in the desert. They've come upon a abandoned wheelchair, a broken down and abandoned wheelchair that they've been tracking. And one of the horsemen is saying to the other, don't worry, he won't get far on foot.
Definitely gallows humor, but at some point he might enjoy it. Or not.

kjel

Super Moderator
Our admin is back after her father passing away last week. He's been ailing for some time but it wasn't altogether unexpected. She seemed in decent spirits but now both of her parents are deceased.

Spent the weekend at the beach house. It was lovely, spent most of Saturday at the beach itself and Sunday running errands and helping RT install rods & curtains in all the rooms. While I fret about housework and laundry not being done at my own house, I decided to take the laundry with me and it worked out great-got 4 loads washed and folded. I think I will just do this from now on and the rest of the house can be dealt with during the week so I can leave Friday evening instead of Saturday morning to maximize time there.

Just two more things to do in the short term at the beach house: replacing the front door and the missing door between the dining room and the converted garage (the prior owners literally just removed the door and hinges, the holes are still there!).

It's hot and humid, everyone wants something, and I am not interested.

Happy Monday!

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
In the wee hours of this morning, I became a grandfather for the fourth time. :) :balloon: :thumbsup:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Pizza grill box is working great. Too bad it rained most of this past weekend.

kjel

Super Moderator
Had to be an asshole to a developer this morning. Didn't want to go there.

Michele Zone

BANNED
Well, fuck, I just realized it's Monday. I"ve been up for over an hour and basically thinking it was Sunday the whole time. :r:

Good thing I am currently a freelancer and don't have to report to an office and keep certain hours, though I do have a meeting today that I need to attend. It would be a problem if I thought that was tomorrow instead. :-x (Fortunately, I knew that Monday meeting was today --- while thinking today was Sunday. Cuz logic.)

I was wondering why the hell Maister was commenting on it being slow on Cyburbia today. I mean, hell, it's always slow on a Sunday.

Oh, wait...today isn't Sunday. Frack. :s:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
So this weekend was fairly productive. Managed to clean the garage, which is something I'd been putting off since June. Also made bread and a killer lasagna. We're going to try to make bread most Sundays going forward. It's very cost effective and produces better tasting bread. Because it has no preservatives it doesn't last beyond three days, but given the rate bread gets consumed at our house that's a moot point.

DVD

Cyburbian
Why is it when I tell someone no I get the feeling they look like this and are saying never give up.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Hit the ground running today. This is after responding to texts and emails after work on Friday. Responded to texts and emails on Saturday. Welcome to Monday in a growing suburban area.