• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

It's Monday, man!

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Dropped the kindergartner off at school this morning. While her sister was wrestling her out of the car, I realized she hadn't put undies on under her dress. Lucky for me, kindergartners are required to have a change of clothes at school, but I feel like I'm really killing this parenting thing at the moment!

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The cat decided 2am was a great time to start giving me a bath. I didn't fall back asleep until 3am which of course caused me to hit the snooze buttons one too many times. Thankfully both of my children are gone this week so I only had to worry about getting myself out the door and feed the cats. I made it to work on time and even stopped at Dunkin for a sandwich and coffee. My boss took an extra day for vacation as well :D

kms

Cyburbian
Dropped the kindergartner off at school this morning. While her sister was wrestling her out of the car, I realized she hadn't put undies on under her dress. Lucky for me, kindergartners are required to have a change of clothes at school, but I feel like I'm really killing this parenting thing at the moment!
Oh we’ve all done something like that.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
When my soon-to-be-college senior was in Kindergarten, he got himself dressed one morning in the spirit wear sweatpants they always wore for Family Friday and it was all good to go. I pick him up after school and he told me he had a good day. So I don't think anything of it.

Fast forward a few weeks, to parent/teacher conference. His teacher asks if he said anything about this particular Family Friday and I reply "Nope". She chuckles and tells us that in the middle of the presentation, he gets up and yells "Mrs. Stein! I'm not wearing any underpants!!" Loud enough for EVERYONE to hear. Hilarity ensues.

He still cracks us up, 17 years later.:lmao::D:h:

Michele Zone

BANNED
Re kids: Yeah, they do all kinds of socially inappropriate stuff. When my toddler thought that beating his head on the floor when he was exhausted and having trouble sleeping was a good idea, I spent some months living in fear that someone would call CPS on me because he constantly had bruises on his forehead. (Yes, I read up and found some ways to deal effectively with his sleep issues. But some kids are just tough to raise.)

There was also an incident where my preschooler felt that it was appropriate to announce to a houseful of guests that he was going to his bedroom to play with his PEEEPEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Thanks, child, for the update. We appreciate that. :not:

(Then it got even betterer: He came out of his bedroom and loudly announced he was DONE playing with his PEEPEEEEE. :not::r:)

Edit:
(My Monday moment: I thought this was Random Thoughts where we were discussing kids and initially included my link to a humorous article. Cuz, yeah. Need Moar Cofffee.)

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
Dealing with local contractor who repeatedly makes changes on the fly during construction without approval. We've caught him a few times and even made him relocate a set of stairs back as in the approved plans.

Had to go down to his present job, measure a whole lot of areas on the façade, recalculate & determined he was barely in compliance.

One of his workers saw what I was doing and was contacting him. We have left a message to call us. It was after 3:00 so he was probably "refreshing his thirst" already. He'll probably call or come in first thing tomorrow morning.

kms

Cyburbian
I don’t feel like I had enough sleep, and I dreamed that a bat was flying in my room and bit me. I hope it was just a dream.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Last Monday I had a dream I was on a walk and a jet made an emergency landing/crash in the mall parking lot I was walking through. Everyone kept asking me what to do what to do. I didn't know what to tell them.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both of my girls are home. It's nice having a full house.

Planit

Cyburbian
First day of school & The Girl barely made it on time (she was lollygagging this morning).

gtpeach

Cyburbian
5 year old likes to pretend she's asleep when we go to drop her off for school. By the time I (physically) got her out of the car and on her feet to go into school, there were probably eight cars behind me waiting. Fun times!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
The Toyota has been running smoothly for over a year. Last week the check engine light comes on. My mechanic tells me the error code indicated a transmission problem:(:r::-{

I got three hours of sleep last night. I even took a Benadryl at 2:30 hoping it would make me sleepy. It had the opposite effect.

Junior starts school today. It's a half day.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Junior outgrew his fencing garb. All that fencing gear cost us around $400 a couple years ago and it looks like we'd have to spend nearly that much (minus the cost of the foil) to keep him in the sport. Thing is, he didn't seem very engaged the last couple courses at the Y. He said he thought he had nothing left to learn from this group and would only be interested if he could participate in the fencing club... located an hour drive to the north. I doubt he has nothing left to learn from the local group, but I'm inclined to go along with his contention now, cuz I have no desire to spend that kind of money again if he's not going to be passionate about the activity.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Junior outgrew his fencing garb. All that fencing gear cost us around $400 a couple years ago and it looks like we'd have to spend nearly that much (minus the cost of the foil) to keep him in the sport. Thing is, he didn't seem very engaged the last couple courses at the Y. He said he thought he had nothing left to learn from this group and would only be interested if he could participate in the fencing club... located an hour drive to the north. I doubt he has nothing left to learn from the local group, but I'm inclined to go along with his contention now, cuz I have no desire to spend that kind of money again if he's not going to be passionate about the activity.
If he's not interested, don't push him and save your $400 unless you are going to schlep him to the fencing club. Is used an option? Kids grow so fast. Is he interested in something else?

It rained this morning and you'd think people forgot how to drive.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This entire week is all jacked up thanks to mother nature with the potential of next week being that way too.

Michele Zone

BANNED
I got my notice that they will spray my apartment tomorrow. :not:

I need to suddenly come into money and move. I loved living here initially, but the thrill is gone and the announcement that they are spraying is just one more reason to wish I could teleport out of here and live elsewhere already.

Maister, I concur with your wisdom to save the dough. Sounds like a plan.

(Insert A Team quote here about "I love it when a plan comes together.")

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
So this past weekend I manage to make it to the other big box home improvement store over on the other side of town that I seldom get out to. One thing I usually like to get while I'm there is a big bag of salted in-shell peanuts. I got the item I came for and also got the big bag of peanuts......got home and discovered I accidently bought a 5 lb. bag of UNSALTED peanuts. Yuck, I have no use for UNsalted peanuts. Can't stand 'em. But it's clear across town and wouldn't be very cost effective to drive all the way over and back just to return/exchange a $6 purchase.:(

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Is it really so far that it's that big of a deal? The aggravation of not having what I wanted would outweigh any perceived cost incurred.

Bubba

Cyburbian
A conversation about training your goats to stay in the front yard - this is why I come into the office...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I may prefer watching news on YouTube now over watching it on regular tv. It allows for very easily indexed/organized ways of watching only those stories I'm interested in.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I may prefer watching news on YouTube now over watching it on regular tv. It allows for very easily indexed/organized ways of watching only those stories I'm interested in.
I think I spent 2 hours watching woodworking videos yesterday on You Tube. (off week for my NFL team)

Bubba

Cyburbian
Not sure how to take a client replying to an early Monday morning e-mail with a gif of Mr. Burns...

Planit

Cyburbian
Found out this morning that a former work colleague & friend passed away late last week. Not fully unsurprising due to his health issues, but still...RIP DP.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
My daughter's school decided that parents are no longer allowed to drop their kids off in the parking lot loop and didn't bother to notify anyone. The school sits on a dead end street with limited on street parking (maybe 20 cars tops) that doesn't have a sufficient turnaround and 90% of the traffic comes in from one street. I found a place to park on another little dead end street and walked up the abandoned railroad trail to the access point to the school which we have to double back down alongside the building because the little kids use the rear entrance. The school has 900 students and kids in our district don't attend neighborhood schools plus there is no busing.

Basically I need to add an additional 10 minutes for the drop off now all because the principal doesn't want to coordinate a staffed drop off system.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
My daughter's school decided that parents are no longer allowed to drop their kids off in the parking lot loop and didn't bother to notify anyone. The school sits on a dead end street with limited on street parking (maybe 20 cars tops) that doesn't have a sufficient turnaround and 90% of the traffic comes in from one street. I found a place to park on another little dead end street and walked up the abandoned railroad trail to the access point to the school which we have to double back down alongside the building because the little kids use the rear entrance. The school has 900 students and kids in our district don't attend neighborhood schools plus there is no busing.

Basically I need to add an additional 10 minutes for the drop off now all because the principal doesn't want to coordinate a staffed drop off system.
Funny, I dealt with the parent drop-off debacle this morning too. Normally Junior walks to school, but since he was home sick all last week Mrs. Maister decreed he should be dropped off at school this morning.

Ho. Lee. Crap. was there a traffic jam. It took over 15 minutes to get through the drop off point (separate from the bus loop) in front. It was insane, and lots of parents were taking unconscionable amounts of time stopping to let their kids exit the cars. This is middle school, not pre-school and there should be no child safety seats to unbuckle or other related delays. Anyhoo, I figured it takes Junior only 12 minutes to walk to school. It would have been quicker if he walked.:-{

gtpeach

Cyburbian

That seems like it would also potentially lead to safety issues. I'd probably call my school board rep and reach out to the principal myself if it was me. If that doesn't work, maybe the superintendent of the school district.

DVD

Cyburbian
and lots of parents were taking unconscionable amounts of time stopping to let their kids exit the cars.
What is wrong with parents? Have fun in school, love you, bye bye, get out of the car. And what's wrong with kids? Why would they want to be seen with parents?

So glad this is no longer my job.

dw914er

Cyburbian
The school has 900 students and kids in our district don't attend neighborhood schools plus there is no busing.
I hate that there is a strong trend away from bus service for schools. It makes the congestion near schools much worse, and I can't imagine trying to coordinate with my wife for accomplishing the school dropoff/pickups.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Having one of those random anxiety mornings even though everything is basically fine beyond normal and manageable levels of work/life stress.

Sometimes you just have those days. Should pass by afternoon.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
That seems like it would also potentially lead to safety issues. I'd probably call my school board rep and reach out to the principal myself if it was me. If that doesn't work, maybe the superintendent of the school district.
Drop offs and busing are the least of the superintendent's worries. We are a low income, urban school district. The interest will be exactly zero.

I hate that there is a strong trend away from bus service for schools. It makes the congestion near schools much worse, and I can't imagine trying to coordinate with my wife for accomplishing the school dropoff/pickups.
Our district has a waiver for busing requirements because it's urban, and therefore walkable. This was the case when kids were zoned to their neighborhood school (there's one 2 blocks from my house) but school assignment is based on a lottery system. Parents select up to 8 schools and submit a ranked list for the lottery for Kindergarten, 5th grade (if not at a K-8 school), and 9th grade years or if they want a different school the following year. Transportation to school is entirely the parent's responsibility. The district does operate a fixed route shuttle but you have to drop your kid off to a designated pickup point and then the bus drops off at various schools along the fixed route-maybe that's ok for an older child, but not a 6 year old.

I do feel bad for a fellow mom I know, she has a 1 year old and a 3 year old in addition to her first grader and now has to get all three out of the car and into the stroller/carrier so she can walk her son up to the door.

Planit

Cyburbian
Cold and wet is not the best way to start the week. High 41 with 1"-2" of rain expected. Similar conditions all week we're told.

The heat was set at 62 in the office (hadn't needed really yet) so it was chilly in here too. That has been remedied, but outside - not.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have made french toast and bacon for breakfast, watched two episodes of The Man in the High Castle, booked an old car tour of Havana, and two loads of laundry. Better than being in the office.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Waking up was hard today after such an epic car weekend.

I scored soooo many parts on the cheap through my Volvo club for my Wagon Build :D

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Not one but TWO knock down drag out court cases today. FML....:-o

Planit

Cyburbian
UGH! They are working on the office right above me. So far it's been the reciprocating saw for the last 30 minutes.

Also, I think my niece gave me her cold over the weekend...

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Nice to be done with the cold that afflicted me part of last week.

kms

Cyburbian
I made two purchases at the vending machine today. Both times, I selected the item to the left of the one I wanted.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Received a habitability complaint in the office today. I get to play inspector tomorrow or Wednesday and probably for the next week or so as I am going to look at all 18 units. There's no reason a 5 year old building should be looking like it does in the photos I was sent.

kms

Cyburbian
Two coworkers had it out at 7:00. One accepted responsibility, but this could be bad for the team.

I made something good for my lunch, and it’s sitting at home on my counter. The milk for breakfast was sour, so I put buttermilk on my grape nuts. It wasn’t as bad as it sounds, but far from what I expected.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Today started off rocky but the sun will be out today and it will be warmer than average this afternoon. I don't have a crazy schedule but there is one meeting this afternoon that is not going to go well and will likely result in a lawsuit or a court ordered injunction.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Received an email from HUD that Cheetolini's party planner will be in attendance at a ribbon cutting for one of my projects tomorrow :not: