• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

It's Monday, man!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Back from holiday in Colorado, and I already miss the mountains terribly.

I missed the roll-out and tutorials for the new phones/phone system. Trying to catch up reading the PP they used. Not good.
Four separate files on my desk with post-it notes reading "see me" or "we need to discuss" from the city attorney.
Two summer employees have worked a few hours a day two days a week for weeks without having been paid from my office. We think we have it fixed due to a Parks Dept snafu, and can expedite a check for these kids who start college in a few weeks. (You think they'd have said something sooner, but they are very shy and very quiet.)
New plotter/scanner/copier arrived. They claim the outlet where the previous one was doesn't work, but something's fishy. Trying to get the landlord to address this.

At home, the mower wouldn't start yesterday. I have to stop by a big box store to buy a new air filter and spark plug (but I don't have a plug puller, so it might take more than one trip).

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Working from home today. Having trouble staying focused. I didn't sleep well/much last night and I fear that's the problem.

Because if the problem is the fact that I'm not in the office, then I fear losing my day from home privilege. I am at my home office desk, with said office needs around me, plenty of light, background music (today it's classical), and the opportunity to get up to take care of the dog when I need to stretch my legs, yet I can't focus.

I may have to take a small steps approach. For every small step/task completed, I celebrate.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
"If a guy wanted to park his vehicle on the street and put a sign on it saying that his wife is a cheating whore, do we allow this? Does he need a permit?"
What if he just taped it inside the window? Had is professionally silk screened on the door panel? Our rules say that as long as it's a resisted vehicle in a drivable configuration and legally parked, it's not a sign.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
In other news, it is a beautiful Monday. I am two unread Planning magazines deep at this point.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Working from home today. Having trouble staying focused. I didn't sleep well/much last night and I fear that's the problem.
I'm in the office but have the same problem, for the same reason. Mondays and Wednesdays start with a 7 am meeting for me (my boss is a time zone over and it's 8 am for him). Sundays are when the Night Riders do their pub crawl ride. I got going late yesterday but met them at their second stop. Didn't get home until 11, wasn't cooled down enough to go to bed until midnight. Then my son's dog jumped up on our bed last night and decided to curl up on my legs which work me up at 3:30 am.

Good news though: I bought a new (used) wheelset for my fixed gear bike from a friend of mine who is retiring to South Padre Island. He's a professional level bicycle builder and the wheels look brand new and are perfectly true. I picked them up Friday and did my first fixed gear rides of the year Saturday and Sunday. Made me realize how out of shape I am but it was great riding fixie again just the same.

dd6zda5r3wrNDnsJmvdj3mdlOkag0VAy4H2s7flM-2048x1152.jpg

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Don't know why but your photo didn't show until I went to reply to it. Nice bike! Looks like a riot to ride. I'm a 40-somethinger who still rides fixed and plan to until I can't ride anymore. Having the one gear and being so connected to it makes you uniquely aware of being in/out of shape, headwind/tailwind, etc. for sure!

Good news though: I bought a new (used) wheelset for my fixed gear bike from a friend of mine who is retiring to South Padre Island. He's a professional level bicycle builder and the wheels look brand new and are perfectly true. I picked them up Friday and did my first fixed gear rides of the year Saturday and Sunday. Made me realize how out of shape I am but it was great riding fixie again just the same.

dd6zda5r3wrNDnsJmvdj3mdlOkag0VAy4H2s7flM-2048x1152.jpg

Doohickie

Cyburbian
That's a friggin excellent bike. I have a 1966 Raleigh Roadster, but it's down for maintenance at the moment.

YGpZzcDvI7NQyTkVvbVF1EgyQ33XgFTEbS8vu7Zo-2048x1152.jpg

Reactions: kms

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
1325547760.jpg

We should probably take this over to the Neverending Bicycle Thread at this point- here's one of mine. Sadly I sold this a couple of years back and now freebie dumpster frames with semi-horizontal drops are few and far between. It was a hoot to ride fixed or free.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Heard from a friend earlier today that her father had been placed in hospice care this morning (I knew his heath had been generally declining - he'd been in and out of the hospital over the last year). Such an awful way for her to start the week.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
My 2nd oldest goes to college tomorrow. My feelings are surprising me. He is very ready for college, but I will miss the regular contact with him greatly. I put so much into it over the years, and fighting for time in my divorce. It all kind of comes rushing back and is a bit overwhelming, and then throw in just being 2 weeks into a new job. I just need to breath.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am now signed up for two obstacle course races for 2020. Now I just need to find time to train. I did 2 miles this morning, but that was out walking the dog.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Updating project timelines today - of which none of the delays are the result of issues from this department.
Always good. A developer yelled at me that I was delaying their project. I pointed out that HUD has a required NEPA review, they are changing from industrial to residential use and are in a flood zone which complicates matters, and that the consultant will take up to 30 days to complete the review plus an additional 20-25 days public notice and HUD review time.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Out Thursday and Friday last week. Out from under the email pile now. Staff mood seems dark. Various property owner/neighbor issues trickling in under the guise of zoning complaints. Typical Monday stuff.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Working from home. Trying to clean out emails, but they don't seem to want to go away.

I have plenty to do today, so I don't know why I'm focusing on such a back-office task. Procrastinating I guess.

My speaker for next week's committee meeting just backed out. I don't have time to get another one. I wish I could call him a jerk, but he's really juggling his chainsaws as best he can.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Mandatory safety training in 40 minutes.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
This Monday marks the beginning of a tough stretch. Down a staff person for the foreseeable future, night school picking back up this week, launching a new citizen committee tonight.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Pretty good day, so far.

The wards meeting is tomorrow night, so.... ;)

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Just 2 days in the office for me and then off to a conference to which I'm really looking forward. I'm optimistic about this week...

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 meetings on a Monday was enough for me. I want to go home and put my PJs on.