• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

WTF 👽 Ivermectin

Would you take the horse pills?

• Yes

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Hell no

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • If its good enough for Mr. Ed, it's good enough for me!

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Soooo, with all this talk of quackery related to this specific horse and dog dewormer, are you willing to take the risk?!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210828-233849_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210828-233849_Instagram.jpg
    671.3 KB · Views: 9

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I won't even dignify your poll with an answer. Per Merck, the maker of Ivermectin:

• No scientific basis for a potential therapeutic effect against COVID-19 from pre-clinical studies;
  • No meaningful evidence for clinical activity or clinical efficacy in patients with COVID-19 disease, and;
  • A concerning lack of safety data in the majority of studies.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I don't get it. The same people who won't take a vaccine that the world's best scientists developed, something that's been through extensive clinical trials -- often because "I don't want strange things in my body" or "I don't know what it's going to do" -- are enthusiastic about untested, unproven, and often dangerous miracle cures that they learned about from Karen or Ted on Facebook. That, or drinking Clorox.

unbiased_science_projct_ivermectin_01.png

unbiased_science_projct_ivermectin_02.png

unbiased_science_projct_ivermectin_03.png

unbiased_science_projct_ivermectin_04.png

unbiased_science_projct_ivermectin_05.png

I have an idea, and I"m probably not the first to think of something like it. Start spreading a rumor that ... oh, let's say canine parvo vaccine, "builds up the antibodies that help fight COVID in humans" or something like that. "Have you ever seen any dogs with COVID-19?" Supply J&J COVID-19 vaccine with parvo vaccine labels to certain MDs and NPs, to give to those that show up at "secret parvo shot parties". Charge a "stupid tax" of $50 or $100 a shot.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I think this is just like why people want "someone who isn't in politics!" as a President. For whatever reason right now, our country just won't believe those who actually know what is going on and experience is considered bad instead of good.

We used to utilize the expertise of people who knew better than us, now we just assume they are lying and look for other answers. Generally those answer come from some fringe kookery group who are FINALLY able to let us know the truth...

When it comes to medicine we have had the anti-vax / natural diet / no medicine people for a while, but generally everyone still goes to the hospital when you are sick, because most people know vitamin B isn't going to save you and that is just some placebo effect BS that just makes you think you are better, not real medicine or science. Now though, it seems so much more of that is "mainstream" because of the internet and we can have kookery groups support other kookery groups, which makes them louder. And in the end we get people drinking chlorine and taking horse dewormer instead of a vaccine and wearing a mask.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I will also add that these crazy theories are now good business for the far right. Ask Rand Paul, who for a period was an actual doctor, who likely knew better than his political idiocy. His dad at least stood for something. I feel bad for Kentucky, and that is hard for me to do.

"The hatred for Trump deranged these people so much that they're unwilling to objectively study it," Paul said, per the Cincinnati Enquirer. "So someone like me that's in the middle on it, I can't tell you because they will not study ivermectin. They will not study hydroxychloroquine without the taint of their hatred for Donald Trump."

Paul told the Cincinnati Enquirer that he does not know if ivermectin works but that he will "keep an open mind."

From the same article:

"Last week, the US Food and Drug Administration urged people not to self-medicate with ivermectin because it is intended for horses and other livestock.The FDA also noted in a statement that it received reports that people were being hospitalized after using the drug. It acknowledged that initial research is being carried out on the drug's efficacy but that the formula used for animals differs greatly from what humans are supposed to take."
Which means they ARE studying it. So, Rand Paul is lying again? Super surprised.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I will also add that these crazy theories are now good business for the far right. Ask Rand Paul, who for a period was an actual doctor, who likely knew better than his political idiocy. His dad at least stood for something. I feel bad for Kentucky, and that is hard for me to do.

Ron Paul is/was nothing more than an old racist with better branding and soundbites. He was impressively ineffective as a congressman because people on both sides dismissed him as an automatic no vote. He did nothing for his district and it remains a mystery how he kept getting reelected, much less became an almost-viable Presidential candidate.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Moderator note:

New forum rule.

2.14 Misinformation and woo 👽
Don't promote or spread misinformation, obvious falsehoods, conspiracy or tinfoil hat theories, woo, and the like. (Examples: COVID-19 miracle drugs, Agenda 21 conspiracy theories, Capitol insurrection false flag theories, Holocaust / Holodomor / Armenian Genocide denial, and so on.) You may discuss misinformation in a meta sense, but not imply they're true

Leaving this thread open for now.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...dummies.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Love Bag Balm. Been using it for over 30 years. When I worked part-time at UPS the cardboard would dry out my hands something fierce. I'd put BB on my hands and then put baggies around them and hold them on with rubber bands so I wouldn't make a mess when I slept. That was in the days when I was struggling and working three jobs. I'd get to UPS at 3:45AM and work until about 8:30 AM. Come home and nap and then typically work a double at Red Lobster. When I didn't have a double I'd make deliveries for a gift basket shop. You do what you have to do I guess. I still remember the message on the answering machine offering me my first (part-time) planning job. I finally felt like the tide was shifting. I still worked at the restaurant but it seemed easier. I went about 2.5 years only having off Christmas and Thanksgiving.

***sorry, I just meant to pop on and extol the virtues of Bag Balm and went down memory lane!

dw914er

Cyburbian
I don't get it. The same people who won't take a vaccine that the world's best scientists developed, something that's been through extensive clinical trials -- often because "I don't want strange things in my body" or "I don't know what it's going to do" -- are enthusiastic about untested, unproven, and often dangerous miracle cures that they learned about from Karen or Ted on Facebook. That, or drinking Clorox.

People are incredibly strange. With COVID, we see people first dismiss it as nonsense and "just a flu," to peddling very strange snake oil to cure it. Meanwhile, we have a vaccine shown to actually work, and those people can't be bothered with it. I just can't understand the line of reasoning being used in any of this.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Neigh. We're more of a Bag Balm family. (external use only!!)

View attachment 54968

We used to have big tubs of it in the dairy barn that my parents would put on the cows udders periodically. My mom was also a pharmacist and I still remember when she brought home a little tin of it when her store started selling it. My dad couldn't believe it was real and thought it was some sort of joke. :ha:

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Florida

Polk Co. commissioner drafts letter asking Gov. DeSantis to make ivermectin widely available

would ask him to make drugs, such as ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine, widely available to residents in hopes of providing what one commissioner calls possible live-saving therapeutics against COVID-19.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Judge rules hospital cannot be forced to give ivermectin

"The FDA, CDC, AMA and APhAA and the doctors of West Chester Hospital do not believe that ivermectin should be used to treat COVID-19," Oster wrote.
Common Pleas Court Judge Michael Oster Jr.

spokeswoman for UC Health which operates West Chester Hospital,
We do not believe that hospitals or clinicians should be ordered to administer medications and/or therapies, especially unproven medications and/or therapies, against medical advice."

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian

The horse paste supporters are in a no-lose situation, spin-wise:

If the patient does not receive the Ivermectin they want and then they die, they die because they received it.
If the patient receives the Ivermectin and they recover, it was because they received it.
If the patient receives the Ivermectin and the still die, it was because the doctors waited too long to give it to them.
If the patient does not receive the Ivermectin but they still recover, they would have recovered much quickly and stronger had they received it.