• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Japan is Weird: Hello Kitty Taxis Target Children

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
My daughter would be all over that like a fat kid on a cupcake...(sorry fat kids).

Her whole room (TV included) is Hello Kitty...

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Japan is weird and they have a fascination with things American. They also use the english language in intersting ways. I spent a couple of months in Japan and have first hand knowledge of this.
www.engrish.com

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
What is this Hello Kitty you speak of? I am so out of the loop.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have seen Hello Kittly vibrators on the internet...I hope those aren't for children.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Chet said:
What is this Hello Kitty you speak of? I am so out of the loop.
It's a cute little white kitty that they put on everything... I had a bunch of stuff with hello kitty on it when I was a little girl, so I know it's been around awhile.

BTW... if all the hello kitty cabs are non-smoking, I'd have no problem with the kitty thing if I didn't have to smell leftover cigarette raunchiness. Go kitty go!

Jeff

Cyburbian
After creating the most incredible item on this planet (sushi) I can forgive them for Hello Kitty and Beauty Saloons.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Wow that is the ultimate in Glurge. NHP how could you let that into your house?!

HMMM I wonder what killing Hello Kitties amounts to...

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I don't understand its popularity since as far as I know its just a picture of a kitty stamped on everything. Its not even a cartoon or anything.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
LOL I just signed up for a hello kitty email account. You can reach me at

killingkitties[at]hellokitty[dot]com

I signed up before Planderella tagged it. ;)

NHPlanner

Staff member
Seabishop said:
I don't understand its popularity since as far as I know its just a picture of a kitty stamped on everything. Its not even a cartoon or anything.
How wrong you are....it's a cartoon too....she has the DVD to prove it....

Seabishop

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
How wrong you are....it's a cartoon too....she has the DVD to prove it....
AAAAHH! I have failed as a parent! :-C

If it makes up for it I'm going to both Monsters Inc on Ice and Dora the Explorer Live in the next 2 months. :) I can't wait to feel the adrenelin rush of 20,000 people yelling "Swiper no swiping" at once.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I too have never understood why girls love Hello Kitty so much. I remember my sister had all kinds of Hello Kitty products when she was little and I think remember one time seeing a Hello Kitty wallpaper on my fiance's desktop.

Chet That is just so, so wrong :)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Those kids probably have a better chance of getting a taxi in Japan than most adults do anywhere in the U.S. ;-)

NHPlanner

Staff member
Chet said:
Wow that is the ultimate in Glurge. NHP how could you let that into your house?!
If you had Kylie for a kid....she'd probably get most everything she wants out of you too....she's too damn cute, and plays the whole sad, pouty face thing too well for me to resist.

So in short her room now has:

Pink walls
Hello Kitty sheets and pillowcases
Hello Kitty fleece blanket
Hello Kitty bedspread
Hello Kitty Clock/Radio
Hello Kitty CD/Boombox
Hello Kitty TV
Disney Princess DVD Player (no HK DVD player, so she ended up with the pink Disney Princess one)

Note: This is where my child tax refund check went this year....all birthday presents (except for repainting her walls).

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:

Note: This is where my child tax refund check went this year....all birthday presents (except for repainting her walls).
Holy crap! Will will be my daddy? Oh wait, that didn't come out quite right...

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Ummm....no self-respecting small boy would be caught dead in a Hello Kitty cab. Where's Bob the Builder? Or Yu-Gi-Oh?? No Hello Kitty in my house!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Ummm....no self-respecting small boy would be caught dead in a Hello Kitty cab. Where's Bob the Builder? Or Yu-Gi-Oh?? No Hello Kitty in my house!
It's spider man mania in our house... but over half is probably attributed to the 7 y.o. and half to his dad.

NHPlanner

Staff member
nerudite said:
Holy crap! Will will be my daddy? Oh wait, that didn't come out quite right...
Elmo might have a problem with that.... ;)

BKM

Cyburbian
Japan is the absolute capital of sicky-sweet glurge. I understand that ADULTS buy this stuff in Japan, not just pre-pubescent children?

After creating the most incredible item on this planet (sushi) I can forgive them for Hello Kitty and Beauty Saloons.
But what do you do if your favorite sushi restaurant has a gigantic, nodding Hello Kittie on the counter and plays the world's worst popular music (Jap-Pop) at an audible volume? :)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Duke jumps into the cockpit of his 100 ton ATLAS mech, fires up the atomic moter and heads the "Hell Fire and Brimstone" toward the evil art warehouse that created "Hello Kitty".

Upon arrival at the unwholesome pit of art, Duke fires his weapons until there is nothing but smoking debris and blasted ruble. Not a single of the heinous artists survives his ...........

Beep Beep Beep Beep.....

Damn alarm clock, right when it was getting good! :)