• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Jessie-J's design project

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I have a design project that I would like some input and feedback on. We've discussed it a little in the Neverending Bike Thread, but the details have changed.

The goal is for Company X to provide appropriate equipment and support for women taking part in adventure sports. The departments in this space will be:

Bike sales/service
Watersports (swimming and diving)
Running
Travel (an on-site travel agent/consultant for women only
adventure tours)

The store is located in Downtown St. Louis in a loft building on Washington Ave. The target demographic is 18-34 yo affluent educated women). (They can be lesbians.) :)

At this point, I like the idea of appealing to the commuter- walkers, cyclists. I have a brainstorm to accomodate that. But in all seriousness, I'd like a little input from you wonderful Cyburbians. We're an active bunch and I know we participate in many sports. Bring it on, ladies and gentlemen.

If you help, I might buy the next round of beer.

Thanks dudes!!
Jessie

Wulf9

My daughter is a bike enthusiast. She owns a road bike, a tandem recumbent (with her husband), a custom built delivery bike, and a Brompton folder. Her favorite bike shop is a little place where the owner chooses the bikes and accessories for high quality, attractive design, social appeal, and excellent components. She likes items that are obvious high quality, where people will acknowledge that the choice to purchase was a good choice -- and with the assurance that no knowledgeable bike person would diss the components. She also likes the owner's philosophy of searching out and finding items based on appearance, good color choices, philosophical bases for the choice to put an item in the shop, etc.

The store would be worthless if it considered women's equipment to be lesser quality because the purchaser is a woman or if the reason for putting any item on the floor is that is is "cute."

I think high quality custom built frames in interesting colors would be an attraction (probably not a profit center but certainly an "advertising" ploy.)

It would be a good business practice to offer things that could only have come from the shop. The shop she likes sells some used Swedish army bikes painted in distinctive colors and also some used Japanese city bikes (distinctive step throughs). Here is an example. She has ridden her road bike to some custom frame shops and not gotten any recognition, but she has ridden the Brompton to the same place and the owner was willing to talk to her. There are bike people in town who know about the delivery bike, even though they have never met her. If those bikes were also associated with the bike shop, it would have a good advertising component.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
My observation is that you will be most successful when you offer the customer an opportunity to try the equipment and provide a social setting. Let them take a bike for a test drive or practice on the climbing wall. Put together social bike rides on the weekend. Offer classes, demonstrations or presentations from experts. Maybe have a slumber party and invite all the girls to show up in their little nighties and see where it leads.... ;) But seriously, people will be more willing to take up something new if they have an opportunity to do it with others.

donk

Cyburbian
You may want to look at the model the running room uses. Lots of free clinics and group runs. Helps to guarantee a market.

Remember the design of the storage/work space is almost as important as the design of the sales space. Bike mechanics need room to work and be able to swear at barked knuckles and parts that are broken, without offending the polite clients. (from personal expereince)

martini

Cyburbian
Why limit yourself to the 18-34 age group. I know you're going for a youthful demographic here, but the real money lies out side, in the 35-50 age bracket. I think that this age is also more willing to try the 'alternative' "thing" since they've got more life experience under their belt. It also goes with out saying that they have more money to spend as well. Personally, I don't know many women in their 20's that do much that may 'hurt' their looks. Of course I could be hanging out with the wrong females too. Of all the more adventuresome women I know, they're in their 30's and early 40's.

Everyone else is offering good ideas as well. Especailly the community aspect. The shops that have organized 'team' events all seem to be real tight with eachother and other teams.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
The demographic is set- that's part of the program. It's the client's desire. Not up to me.

I appreciate all your ideas. I was hoping for more input. Anyone else got anything?

Otis

Cyburbian
Are the specific sports set (i.e. a given)? I think it would be wise to braoden your appeal a bit. It seems like you're missing a lot of good sporting opportunities, such as kayaking, canoeing, snowboarding, etc. A climbing wall is as much a social setting as a physical testing site. I've seen indoor ski slopes that are the equivalent of personal lap pools where people can test their skiing equipment. Gonna have a pool for scuba instruction?

If you want to make it a real social setting, how about a little coffee cafe area? And why not massages and whirlpools? "Women, come here, work yourself, and then pamper yourself."

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Sounds like you are trying to recreate a REI store.
Have you been in one?
Even better anyone who has been to the REI flagship store in Denver remember their layout?