• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Jitters, anyone?

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
As inspired by the breakfast thread, I was wondering how much caffeine everyone ingests in a day.

I usually have a can of pop or cup of coffee in the morning, then maybe one more some other time through the day, and then (30-50% of the time) again with dinner. I try to take no caffeine after dinner, at least on "school nights". An exception to this would be my (more than) occasional chocolatey evening snack.

Ugh, seeing it here in writing makes me feel pretty bad about my eating habits. Guess I'll go console myself with some [drool] smooth, creamy chocolate [/drool]

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Usually 2 cups, sometimes a third if I come home dead-tired and have to take care of the kids. I cannot skip that first one though. Big Coffee has me I don't "drink," do drugs, gamble, or engage in other vices, so my coffee addiction is OK by me.

SGB

Cyburbian
I'm down to only two cups a day.

The first cup is vital; the second most days is optional.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I don't drink a lot of coffee, but what I do drink is very strong. And no caffeine past 1:00 pm

The building commissioner's office used to be our coffee supplier and they drank brown water. Ughhhhhhhh. Now I supply my own and brew it the way I like.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Diet Coke substitute for coffee. I have 3-4 before lunch and about 6 a day. After dinner I switch to caffeine free Coke and have 1-2 of those. I have given up soda twice, but have come back every time so far.....Other than soda, I do not consume much caffeine.

Bangorian

I don't drink coffee or soda, so not much caffeine here. :-#

Though I do have quite a taste for black tea, which does contain some caffeine...

Habanero

Cyburbian
Iiii ddddonnn't gggggeeettttt jjjjitttttterrrrsssss! :p

I've cut back almost completely, although sometimes in a pinch I brew regualar tea if I ran out of my herbal tea.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I started drinking coffee at around age nine and have had a cup or four almost everyday since. I still love the taste of coffee but have recently done something I swore I'd never do... I switched to decaf. :-c As per doctor's suggestion I recently went cold turkey with the caffeine. It wasn't near as hard as I thought it would be to quit and now I feel better for it.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
No coffee. I drink water much of the day, and get my caffiene from cokes during lunch and dinner ususlly, though, I'm even cutting down on the soda consumption.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have a thermos that I fill up at home It holds 2 1/2 mugs of coffee and I usually drink the whole thing down to the last drop. On occasion I will bring coffee with me in the car on the wat to work and if I am super tired in the afternoon, I will swing by our local coffee joint and get some.

I was at the Dollar Store at lunch and scored up 2 packs of Cafe Intense brand Cafe Mocha candy with X-Treme Caffene....maybe I can give up the coffee :-\

Oh wait, I just tasted one...nevermind. Bleeech

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Three or four cups before I leave the house. That's my caffeine for the day.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
3-4 cans of Diet Dew at work, another couple glasses in the evening, an occasional Diet Coke at a restaurant. Coffee maybe twice a year (if I have more than 1 cup in a sitting I get nauseous and practically have a panic attack)

Wulf9

I roast my own, so I can have decaf that tastes as good as caf. Home roasted decaf tastes better than any commercial coffee -- caf or decaf.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
1 large strong coffee with milk in the morning, optional coffee later. Husband has become addicted to mochas, so sometimes we'll go out in the evenings for coffee. Rarely keeps me awake; I've been drinking the stuff since I was 12. 8-!

Since I started breastfeeding I've cut back to the very occasional cup of half caf, because I'm dehydrated almost all the time as it is. I usually spend the day chugging hot decaf tea as a sorry ass replacement for my sweet, hot coffee. By the time Jack's old enough to wean, he'll probably be sleeping the night through and I won't as desperately need the caffeine. :)

BKM

Cyburbian
Espresso drink in the morning (RIP Caffee Bacci), maybe 3-4 soft drinks per day, on bad days. I usually drink diet root beer, though, which has no caffeine.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
3-4 cans of Diet Dew at work, another couple glasses in the evening, an occasional Diet Coke at a restaurant. Coffee maybe twice a year (if I have more than 1 cup in a sitting I get nauseous and practically have a panic attack)
Slightly OT: Mountain Dew (and Diet Dew) has no caffeine in it in Canada. Kind of weird.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Are you kidding me? I once tried to give up caffeine. Not such a good thing, if I try again, I will go into detox!

I am slowly working towards that again. This morning I had 2 cups of Coffee (my coffee cup holds almost 4 cups though, so I guess it would be around 8 cups of coffee today)

Before Lent started, I would also drink 4 to 6 cans of soda a day. Now it is none! Little steps! Little Steps!

martini

Cyburbian
I used to be addictied to the stuff. Working in the coffee shop will do that to you. Too many punk shows has lead to tinnitus though, and the caffine exacerbates it, so drink as little as I can. I still love caffine and regular coffee though, but I mostly drink Tazo chai tea now.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Thanks to this thread, I had to go and get a nice, fresh cup of hot coffee. I'll be twitching all the way through a neighborhood meeting.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I usually just have one cup in the morning, and once in a great while another in mid-afternoon. I gave up pop/soda/coke a couple of years ago. I drink either water or iced tea (not the southern kind) when I eat out.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I keep a 2-liter bottle of Diet Coke on my desk, and finish it in about three days. I found I would drink less if I poured it into a coffee cup, rather than drink from a bottle or can. When I would spend evenings in Madison, I often grabbed a mocha on the way to work in the morning. The coffee shop liked to give away free extra shots of espresso. On those mornings I really was jittery by the time I walked through the door. Now if I get a mocha or cappucino I ask for decaf.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
2-3 cups or I'm bouncing off the walls and shaky. I do keep decaf in the house for those cold night Kahlua night caps. :)

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
Since I started breastfeeding I've cut back to the very occasional cup of half caf, because I'm dehydrated almost all the time as it is. I usually spend the day chugging hot decaf tea as a sorry ass replacement for my sweet, hot coffee. By the time Jack's old enough to wean, he'll probably be sleeping the night through and I won't as desperately need the caffeine. :)
In a very similar boat with Mac and I have come to not even want any cokes or anything of that sort anymore, including my favorite tea. Occasionally, I will take a sip of my husband's coke and realize that it just doesn't taste the same anymore. I think the most hardcore beverage I have now is a Sprite or hot chocolate.

kms

Cyburbian
Many days, my caffeine intake is zero. I do drink chocolate milk sometimes, and taht would be my most regular intake of caffeine. We drink decaf tea.

The More, The Merrier

I drink diet coke constantly. Due to my genetic disorder and the drugs I take for it, I am ALWAYS thirsty and I have a drink at hand at all times, almost always diet coke. I noticed years ago that on days when I drink "more than usual" of the caffeinated stuff, I was also having more-than-normal trouble breathing. In recent years, I consciously consume great quantities of caffiene as a means to stay off the many inhalers I have in various drawers around the house. I hate that stuff, with a passion. So, when I have real trouble with breathing, I supplement my sodas with chocolate. In this way, I manage to avoid using my albuterol inhaler more than a handful of times per year (except in years where I stupidly go visit The Smog).

Dr. Michele sez:
Chocolate: for medicinal purposes ONLY. Take daily and "as needed". (My chronic illness group Loves me. :-D )

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I started drinking coffee as kid - Dad was a Merchant Marine Chief Engineer.
I usually drink at least 3 mugs worth before lunch.

JNL

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
I don't drink a lot of coffee, but what I do drink is very strong. And no caffeine past 1:00 pm
Me too. One cup every morning and that's it. Am very caffeine-sensitive, and a second cup or a can of Coke and I'm bouncing off the walls. Don't seem to build up a tolerance. My cutoff is midday or I won't sleep.

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
I didn't drink that much soda until someone ;-) came into my life. I've cut back again to maybe one coke when I eat out. Otherwise it's milk (yummmmm) or water.

tsc

Cyburbian
4 cups... back to back... gets me through the rest of the day... usually.

donk

Cyburbian
No coffee for me, it upsets my stomach.

Try to drink some water during the day, and some days I need a "shot of sugar" (Dr. Pepper or Coke) in the afternoon.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
At least one, maybe two Pepsi's or Mtn. Dew's a day. Don't drink coffee; really can't stand the taste. Even though there is a water cooler right outside my office, I can't drink water straight. I will more often then not go downstairs to the vending machines or in our kitchen to the get some Coke from the soda fountain. I have to have something flavoring the damn thing. The only time I love to drink water is when I am on the golf course or working in the yard and I put a little lemon in it. Sometimes some honey as well. Cold (or hot) honey lemon is a popular dring when I was visiting Japan. Wilson (sporting goods) even bottles and cans the product.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
At least one, maybe two Pepsi's or Mtn. Dew's a day. Don't drink coffee; really can't stand the taste. Even though there is a water cooler right outside my office, I can't drink water straight. I will more often then not go downstairs to the vending machines or in our kitchen to the get some Coke from the soda fountain. I have to have something flavoring the damn thing. The only time I love to drink water is when I am on the golf course or working in the yard and I put a little lemon in it. Sometimes some honey as well. Cold (or hot) honey lemon is a popular dring when I was visiting Japan. Wilson (sporting goods) even bottles and cans the product.
Finally, another person that can't drink water! Everybody thinks I'm odd that I don't like the stuff, but except for some fresh well water, I just don't.

donk

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Finally, another person that can't drink water! Everybody thinks I'm odd that I don't like the stuff, but except for some fresh well water, I just don't.

mmmmm, well water. I also really like perrier and other mineral waters.

The water in my former town was rotten, everytime I went to my families I would pound the water as it was so good.

unfortunately, the town I am moving to has probably some of the most famous water in NA.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I have a cup at my 10:00 a.m. break that I take with the other planners and development officers... it's our one social tendency. Otherwise, I don't usually do any other caffeine during workdays. On the weekends, I give up coffee and head straight to the Diet Pepsi (probably four or five glasses on weekends :( ).

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
donk said:
mmmmm, well water. I also really like perrier and other mineral waters.
Cardinal said:
My wife grew up on well water from a 410 foot deep well. Provides decent water. I have only had mineral water and that was in the former USSR in 1988. Nastiest stuff I ever tasted. But is was necessary to drink or you could get some really nasty things from the regular water suppy, at least while were were in Leningrad (now St. Petersburg).

Floridays

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
I drink diet coke constantly.
Ditto. Hopelessly addicted. I get chewed out by family and friends and co-workers about it..."it's not good for you." :-0

Doitnow

Cyburbian
I was a tea addict in college. During the tough transportation semesters i could go upto ten cups a day/night. That affected me badly.
But that was many years ago.

Now I Have three cups of tea( with the milk). Start off with the early morning cuppa while scanning the numerous morning papers.

I drink coffee rarely and that too when some client/friend offers me some.

I try out fruit juices/ honeylemon/ lots of water whenever i can during the day.

Floridays said:
Ditto. Hopelessly addicted. I get chewed out by family and friends and co-workers about it..."it's not good for you." :-0
You probably don't have this excuse, but I blow people off with "Yeah, 'not breathing' isn't good for me either.". :-D