• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Joint zoning arrangements in Pennsylvania

SGB

Cyburbian
Under joint zoning arrangements, which are permitted by state law, some participating municipalities may serve as the repository for development while others can host a concentration of open space.

The theory is that the joint planning area as a whole will provide for all types of land use - from single-family homes and apartments to commercial and farmland. In the absence of such a planning arrangement, every municipality in Pennsylvania is required to provide for each type of land use within its borders.
Are there incentives in the enabling statutes for such arrangements, such as allowing property tax or other intermunicipal revenue sharing?

Tom R

Cyburbian
ohio

This sounds cool and is something Ohio needs IF it works.

RobGuru

SGB said:
Are there incentives in the enabling statutes for such arrangements, such as allowing property tax or other intermunicipal revenue sharing?
There is a revenue sharing option available - see PA Municipalities Planning Code Section 1105(b)(1). I'm not sure if any municipalities have used this option - nor do I think many will.

I think the bigger incentives will be those found at Section 1105(a)(1) - state agencies give funding priority to those projects consistent with multi-municipal plans - and at Section 1103(a)(4) - removes requirement of individual municipalities to provide for all uses provided that all uses are provided somewhere within the planning area. Municipalities will take advantage of these provision moreso than the revenue sharing provisions, I believe.