• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Junkyard help!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Anyone have minimum acreages required for a scrap/salvage or towing operation?

boiker

Cyburbian
hmmm

i just dealt with this stuff.

they can only be located in our I-3 General Industrial zones W/ special use.

10 acre min on all new I-3 developments

Mastiff

Gunfighter
mike gurnee said:
Check with your state DOT so that your definitions and standards are consistent.
The defintions are easy... I pulled them straight from the state statutes. The minimum size varies from place to place, if addressed at all...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Mastiff said:
Anyone have minimum acreages required for a scrap/salvage or towing operation?
Yup. Banning 'em! :)

307.3 Junkyard

307.3.1 Intent
Junkyards, automobile recycling facilities, scrap yards, and similar uses can create major disruption to the area around them, even when carefully regulated and buffered. Dust, dirt, noise and unsightly conditions can be anticipated. Because of the town's small size and geographical constraints, such uses would have a disproportionately large impact on the Town.

307.3.2 Definition
Junkyard -- facility for display, storage, collection, processing, purchase, sale, salvage or disposal of used or scrap materials, equipment, appliances, junk vehicles or other personal property whether of value or valueless.

307.3.3 Permitted locations
Junkyards are prohibited in all zoning districts.