• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Jury duty: Have you done it?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
So, I recently got called up for jury duty on March 23 for criminal court, and I was wondering if anyone has been on a jury and if you have interesting ancedotes.

BTW, the criminal court here in Chicago is at 26th and California, which from what I understand is not the best neighborhood.

Go where the market is, I guess. ;-) (just a joke; I don't want to ruffle any feathers)

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Jury duty, no. I have gotten pretty used to receiving court summons' to provide testimony, though. I spent a whole morning on the stand last week and it looks like I'll be doing it again in a couple weeks. That one might turn out to be interesting. I am much more sympathetic to the plaintiff's position than to that of the defendant, who is requiring me to appear.

SGB

Cyburbian
I've never been called for jury duty.

Now I've done it: better watch my mail......

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
The haven't caught up to me yet. I think moving every other year throws the feds off.

If you don't feel like going through with it, just tell them the defendent should get the chair ;-)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm actually really interested about doing this. Since this will be my first time, I'll see if I like it after it's done.

Isn't this the one of the priveleges and rights of a citizen of a democracy?

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
Isn't this the one of the priveleges and rights of a citizen of a democracy?
If you like getting paid 5 bucks a day and like having to worry about the convicted criminal hunting you down after getting out of prision to shimmy your dogs head down the toilet, then I guess it could be fun;)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Rumpy Tunanator said:
If you like getting paid 5 bucks a day and like having to worry about the convicted criminal hunting you down after getting out of prision to shimmy your dogs head down the toilet, then I guess it could be fun;)
Well....if you put that way.......... ;-)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I received notice for jury duty a few years ago while in college. My excuse not to serve was exams. I haven't been called for it since then. Damn, I hope I didn't just jinx myself! 8-! :-D

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Well I got called for jury duty once. My wife is an attorney and because of all the state and county bar functions we have attended I happen to know quite a few of the attorneys in the area. At one such an event a certain lawyer misinterpreted the 'bar association' meaning and I found him yacking in a urinal at the restaurant we were at.....three days later I am undergoing a jury interview. guess who the defense attorney is. Needless to say, he used up his last peremptive challenge (one given without cause) on moi... :-D

ludes98

Cyburbian
I just did it for the first time last month. It is pretty tame. Nothing like sitting in a jury room the size of your office/cube with 25 other people. While we sat in the jury room, the cases all settled with pleas. Go figure. Then the judge sat us down to tell us how it is because we did our duty and showed up that they plea bargained. Whew and I though I had just drooled on myself for no reason.

BKM

Cyburbian
Yep. Jury foreman for the drugs and weapons trial of Vallejo resident "Big Kev." Big Kev and his crew, upon being arrested and released on bail, decided the best way to help their case was to attempt to blow up the Vallejo Police Department's evidence storage room. They may have been expert rappers and true veterans of the narcotics industry, but they were not very knowledgeable about explosives :)

Unfortunately, my trial was the boring standard weapons and rugs part, not the explosives! The ADA was one of the most boring individuals I've ever had to listen to, but I really have to say I felt sorry for the defense attorney. The hopelessness of his case shone through his eyes like the face of doom.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Because my father is a lawyer, I have been excused by the defense attorney every time I have been called for jury duty. One time the defense attorney said "We thankfully excuse Mr. . . . " Which had a wonderful double meaning - was he thanking me or was he expressing relief at being rid of me? Too bad too, because I could tell his client was guilty as sin. ^o)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
lol maybe i need to start saying im invovled with a lawyer. *steve isnt but im still close to the ex who was*

biscuit

Cyburbian
Was called up once when I was 19 but got out of it because I was about 250 miles away at school.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Just did it...

Drove 90 miles just to waste all morning waiting, and then have the case dismissed...

JNL

Cyburbian
I got called up last year and after much waiting around (take a book to read!!), almost got on a case. But there was a last minute guilty plea. So out we go again. Next day, same thing. Not nearly as interesting as I'd hoped :-\

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Called once, about 5 years ago. Sat in the courtroom from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and did not get chosen (OK, I had an issue with one of the loud-mouth defense attorneys). They would not let us read magazines/books, we had to listen to the lawyers' questions. It was the most boring day of my life.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Rumpy Tunanator said:
The haven't caught up to me yet.
No since I move to IN.

Back when I lived in Denver, CO was called and seated on a jury.
Good exprience, case - unmarried domestic abuse, poor judgement by a parent mixing drugs and alcohol, and a child was involved - very stupid behavior.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Called a year ago September. Served on 2 juries during my monthlong "period" of jury duty. Was foreman of the jury on an assault case against a police officer, and also served on a statutory rape case. Not much fun to experience the last case, especially when my mother told me that she had had the 2 girls as students in 4th grade.

Budgie

Cyburbian
No, I haven't had the honor (I'm sincere) to serve as a juror. However, I've testified in a couple zoning cases and an armed robbery.