• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Jury Duty - Receiving the call!

BKM

Cyburbian
I was jury foreman for the trial of "Big Kev" a self-defined "rap producer," and all around "fun buncher." Big Kev and his crew, upon being charged with the usual panoply of drug dealing and gun violations, tried to reduce the strength of the prosecution's case-by attempting to jury rig a bomb outside the evidence storage room. It didn't work, of course.

My trial was just the drugs and gun violations, not the conspiracy/explosives charge. Too bad. I actually felt sorry for the defense attorney-what a hopeless case. (It would have helped if the assisstant DA had a little personality. His presentation would put Sominex out of business.)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I believe and know this to be among our many rights and privileges.
I have not been called since I moved here 10 yrs ago - what a disappointment.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I have been a registered voter since I was 18 and I have never been called. Bummer.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Called once a year, religiously. Kicked off the panel every time.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I've never served on a jury. I did get a notice once, but happened to have moved from the county a month before. I have been called to testify in both civil and criminal cases, though.

Rem

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
I've never served on a jury. I did get a notice once, but happened to have moved from the county a month before.
Strange coincidence - I have been called once also but received the notice about 2 weeks before I moved to the City I now work in which in turn made me unavaliable. I would have readily done it if I wasn't starting a new job 200 kilometres away.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I served on 2 juries last September, was foreman for one trial. Interesting experience, but I don't like the recollections from the 2 cases (assault on a police officer, and a statutory rape case).

PM me if you want meore details on my experience......rather not put them out there for general consumption.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Jeff said:
Called once a year, religiously. Kicked off the panel every time.
Couldn't have been that you were wearing your Metallica-Kill 'em All
t-shirt each time, could it?

I have only been called once for jury duty, but it was in my home county while I was away at college so I didn't have to serve. Just as well because nothing interesting ever happened there anyway other than traffic violations and the occasional arrest of a Crank dealer that I probably went to high school with.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Never been called. Of course, having now said that I bet I know what's going to be waiting for me in the post when I get home...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I made the list for Federal duty but they don't like to go to trial so nothing materialized.

I have testified in civil cases, one of which led to a guy spending a weekend in jail for refusing to conform to the Zoning Code. He was sentenced to 90 days for contempt of court but was "shock probated". Ended up losing his lease and moved downtown where he is still violating various ordinances. The Mayor-elect promises we'll go after him again. Oh, boy!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Called once, about 5 years ago. After the first defense attorney outlined his browbeating strategy for questioning victims and witnesses and asked if any of us had a problem with that, I was the only one to raise my hand and tell him what an arrogant, insensitive moron he was. Needless to say, I wasn't picked for any juries, but I still had to sit there all day and be rejected over and over.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Never been called... I've moved around too much in my life for anyone to track me down.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I've been called for jury duty five times. As soon as they find out my father is a lawyer the defense counsel always excuses me. One time the defense lawyer used the word "thankfully excuse", which to this day I am not sure meant that he was thanking me and excusing me, or that he was really glad not to have me on the jury.

Of course if you don't want to serve on a jury you can always say, "Oh yeah, I can tell if a person is guilty just by looking at him."

donk

Cyburbian
Where I currently live I have the perfect out, I have spoken to/approved documents for/drank with just about every lawyer in town.

Many petty criminals and even big ones tend to go for trial by judge alone here.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
Called for the first time this year and had to serve. It was a DUI trial where the prosecution was trying to convince us that a 300-lb man was too impaired to drive after 3 beers (the guy refused the breathalyzer). Right. Anyway, I sat through a mind-numbing day of trial only to be excused before deliberations because...I was the alternate. Ugh!

ludes98

Cyburbian
I just got my first summons in 11 years of eligibility. Bummer part is, it is on call. So I am on call for the month of January 04. They will call if needed. Sucks.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I received notice to serve a few years ago while in graduate school, which was my excuse not to. I haven't received notice since then.

Jeff

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Couldn't have been that you were wearing your Metallica-Kill 'em All
t-shirt each time, could it?

Every panel I have been on, its the losers they keep. If you have a family or a brain, goodbye ;)

JNL

Cyburbian
Called for the first time this year. Was looking forward to it, but after many delays, both trials were cancelled due to late guilty pleas! So the trials never even started :(

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Found in AP Off-beat News
Related to topic and involves our favorite store

Sheriff Sorry for Misinterpreting Order
By The Associated Press

GOLDSBORO, N.C. (AP) -- The Wayne County sheriff has apologized for misinterpreting a judge's order that he originally said forced him to send deputies to Wal-Mart to find potential jurors.

The order simply required Sheriff Carey Winders to send deputies to a public place. Their search at the discount store on Nov. 26 - the day before Thanksgiving - resulted in confrontations with people shopping for Christmas gifts.

"I will accept the responsibility for them going there," Winder said Tuesday. "But we would've had to go to Target, the mall or a public place, like the library, to get them. The bottom line is that he didn't say for us to go to Wal-Mart but to a public place."

"I apologize to the judge," the sheriff said.

Superior Court Judge Ripley Rand issued the order when not enough potential jurors could be found for a murder trial. Deputies found 50 candidates at Wal-Mart, and at least one of them was seated for the trial, which began Tuesday.