• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

just a wanna-be for now

de-bug

I'm not a planner, but some days when I'm testing yet another piece of software, I swear I'll go back to school and switch professions. But before I dive in and get another degree, I figure I'd better find out what the water's like first. That's mainly why I'm here, though I hope to make an occasional contribution in the process.

Despite my current techie bent, I have a B.Arch degree and did my thesis on a urban-scale project in Cd. Juarez, Mexico. But then I veered off, got an MIM (master of international management) degree, went into consulting and ended up in IT. What a long, strange trip it's been.

What has really stirred up my interest in planning, though, is that I recently designed and built my own home in an area of downtown Indianapolis that's undergoing the process of revitalization. It was a really cool opportunity...the neighborhood basically took it upon themselves to develop an edge that had long been neglected. Originally they tried to get funds to rehab an isolated house, but the bank said no because the area was too precarious. So they decided a critical mass of properties were needed, and eventually made it happen. I happened into it just as the lots were made available for sale.

If you want to check it out, here's some info on the project, and some pics of my house, too.

http://www.kibi.org/monumental/Old_Northside.htm
http://www.theoldnorthside.org/onsf.html
http://photos.thesapps.com/thehouse

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Welcome to the Forum

de-bug said:
But before I dive in and get another degree, I figure I'd better find out what the water's like first.
This is a pretty good place to not only find out what the water's like but get all wet in the process. Also your IT skills might come in handy
when you spray you pop all over your monitor and keyboard laughing at some of the many hilarious posts.

Welcome again

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
That would be so cool to build your own house in a downtown-ish location...you'd have to be uber-rich to do that around here!

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome and cool job on the house! I wish I could do that here in DC but as Tran said you have to be Uber Rich to do that in these parts

PG

donk

Cyburbian
Welcome aboard, and thanks you've given me a new idea for doing an addition to my house (if I ever decide to).

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I'm not a planner either, but am going back to school for it this Fall. This site is indeed a great resource to learn more about planning. The people are all extremely helpful.

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome.

Enjoy the forums. You have one of the most diverse and active group of international ('though with a decidedly American flavor) professionals at your calling here.

BKM

Cyburbian
Welcome! I'm an ex-Hoosier from Fort Wayne (now living in between Sacramento and San Francisco).

The house is great, clean and modern in design, but fitting right into the victorian neighborhood. Congrats!