• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Just Another Music Thread

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
OK, so this Bear is stuck in his den, still somewhat gasping for air when I walk across the room, living life on the edge of the couch, remote in hand, letting the stem cells slowly rebuild an immune system that is registering "empty".

My fuel is TV......cable shows, old movies.....and, so important to an old cat who digs music from all decades and all participants, music videos.

My cable system has about a dozen different music video channels. The one (1) I spend the most time with is VH1-Classic. I especially like the vids from the 1960's and 1970's.

OK, young'ens......we didn't have music videos back then. But, some acts were recorded, perhaps via an old TV show show as Hootenany or bad black and white film clips. Some of the vids they present are classic.....such as Eric Burdon and the Animals doing "House Of The Rising Sun" or a very-very young group of brothers' Gibb (The Bee Gees) doing "Massachusets". Neato stuff for a sheltered life oldster.

They also present some of the older bands, back on tour again, playing their older stuff. Great example, Allman Brothers rejuvinated, doing a kick-ass version of "Whipping Post". I crank my tube ( :-c ), much to Katie's despair.

(She didn't mind REO or Journey being cranked, though. We really are generational products.)

When not tuned to VH1-Classic I drift toward VH1-Mega Hits. Some of today's bands are pretty decent.

Bear With Lysoled Remote

Tom R

Cyburbian
Jh

Hendrix at Berkley is pretty good. Not quite what I remember it. Trouble is, there's a lot about it from when I first saw it in the 70's that I, eh..don't recall. But it's good.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
The Beatles were pioneers in the music video genre back in the 60's. I think Help!, for instance, is nothing more than an hour long series of videos featuring the Fab Four getting chased by rabid female fans. And let's not forget that the Monkees used to regularly integrate a 'music video' into every episode, too.
I can't think of the name of the club but they used to film alot of their acts and you can still see clips of Yardbirds, Animals, Vanilla Fudge from time to time. Usually theyre included in documentaries or band retrospectives, but folks with cable tv are probably more knowlegable than I about where to see these things.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
I mentioned the Allman Brothers doing "Whipping Post" in a video. Wrapped around the microphone stand of the lead singer (Greg Allman) was a flag from the old south (Confederate).

I wonder if there are people who are upset with that?

IMHO, back in the Civil War, the Confed flag DID represent (or "hint" to represent) racism. IMHO, the Confed flag NOW represents a "pride" in the south.....perhaps a knee-jerk reaction to all of us who have over-the-years bashed the south.

Bottom-line.....the flag doesn't bother me. If it would, change the channel.

Bear's Gonna Do It Again

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
One (1) of my all-time fave tunes is Sinead O'Connor's version (of the Prince tune) "Nothing Compares 2 U". Watching the video, even though she was nearly bald, she is (was) a very pretty woman.

She is (and continues to be) a "space cadet"......lost somewhere.

Nothing Compares To Bear ;-)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Watching VH1 Classic again on Friday night. They had a concert with Foghat doing the rock and roll. It was good!

I always liked Foghat. Katie was watching and didn't remember the first couple of songs. (She was a teenager in the 1970's, she should have!) I mentioned to her that Foghat did "Slow Ride". She said, "Oh, I love that song!" Go figure.

These cats are either my age (1948 child) or older. The lead singer was actually in the old British blues group, Savoy Brown. Many years ago I had a Savoy Brown vinyl album. Not sure which wife got that one (1). :-c

Slightly-on-topic.....

Does anybody recall seeing rock and roll genealogy charts? I have seen a few in my days, including a huge chart that was included in the Yes big box set. Yes is a good group to have a family tree chart.....there were about ten (10) different versions of Yes. Folks who played in Yes also played in King Crimson, Asia, The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, The Nice, Genesis, The Moody Blues, Emerson-Lake-Palmer, and others.

The above example is just Yes. There are so many others from all of the rock and roll eras.

Bear Is A Fool For The City

mgk920

Cyburbian
One 1960s piece that got LOTS of play at a then cutting edge video/dance nightclub here in Appleton that I frequented when it was open back in the late 1980s/early 1990s was a video version of Nancy Sinatra's These Boots Were Made For Walking. They got constant requests for that one.

Mike

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
A Couple Random Music Thoughts And Notes

RMTAN # 1
The lead singer of the cool 1960's hit "Judy In Disguise (With Glasses)" died over the weekend. His band name was John Fred and the Playboy Band. His full name was John Gourrier. If I remember correctly, at least one (1) of his band members went on to play in YES for awhile.

RMTAN # 2
Does anybody recall the version of "Pictures At An Exhibition" done by Emerson, Lake & Palmer? I have that on vinyl. I like the classical versions and I have at least two (2) different vinyls (Berlin Philharmonic and Philly, I think). But the prog-rock version by ELP is fun, too.

Bear At The Gates Of Kiev

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
On Friday late afternoon I was waiting for Katie to get ready, so we could go out on the town. While waiting I flipped on my favorite cable music channel, VH1 Classic. They were just starting a "Headline Act" block, with Kansas in the spotlight.

I liked Kansas when they arrived on the scene......probably about 1980. I bought a bunch of their vinyl......I still have them. I also bought their first box set. When you watch them play and really give it a good "ear"......they had great harmonies, some good individual musicians, and came across as very tight, very good, in their live performances. I especially liked the violin.....they were one (1) of the first to use violin in rock and roll.

The live version of "Carry On My Wayward Son" is outstanding. Oddly enough, I have never been a great fan of "Dust On The Wind". I always enjoyed playing "Death Of Mother Nature Suite" very loud.

Good band. I have work to do out in the garage today. Kansas is going with me. :)

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Kings Of Leon

I sent for a Kings Of Leon CD this weekend. Need to broaden my perspective. ;-)

Slightly-on-topic.....

Anybody remember the group "It's A Beautiful Day"? They did a couple good albums back in the late 1960's, early 1970's. A song that did get a lot of airplay (by IABD) was "White Bird". Good tune.

San Francisco band, I would guess, judging by their looks and their music.

Bear's Creed Of Love

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Bear Up North said:
RMTAN # 1
The lead singer of the cool 1960's hit "Judy In Disguise (With Glasses)" died over the weekend. His band name was John Fred and the Playboy Band. His full name was John Gourrier. If I remember correctly, at least one (1) of his band members went on to play in YES for awhile.
Bear At The Gates Of Kiev
Who ?
ANDREW BERNARD bari-sax
RONNIE GOODSON trumpet
CHARLIE SPINOSA trumpet
JIMMY O' ROURKE guitar
HAROLD COWART bass
TOMMY DEGENERES organ
JOE MICELI percussion
HAL ELLIS guitar
BILLY JOHNSON bass
LESTER DODGE drums
http://home.att.net/~bubblegumusic/fred.htm

Bear Up North said:
RMTAN # 2
Does anybody recall the version of "Pictures At An Exhibition" done by Emerson, Lake & Palmer? I have that on vinyl.
I did too, but you are not surprised are you.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
JNA said:
Who ?
ANDREW BERNARD bari-sax
RONNIE GOODSON trumpet
CHARLIE SPINOSA trumpet
JIMMY O' ROURKE guitar
HAROLD COWART bass
TOMMY DEGENERES organ
JOE MICELI percussion
HAL ELLIS guitar
BILLY JOHNSON bass
LESTER DODGE drums
http://home.att.net/~bubblegumusic/fred.htm
None of those names looks familiar. Now I am not so sure. Of course, I wasn't too sure before. Maybe I am confusing Yes with another prog band from that time, If. Most of If's guys went on to jazz careers.

Dang, I killed too many brain cells. think I'll go have a beer and ponder that awhile.
:b:

Bear

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Oh, I love old music videos. Ever watch that "Legends" infomercial hosted by that guy from The Who. Lots of classic footage of 60s/70s bands.

But what I dig most is 1980s rock bands...Aerosmith, Van Halen, GN'R, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard...so much that I spend money on their old music video collections. I have both live DVDs and tapes as well as the regular music videos. They are great. Man, do I wish I was older back then...there were some of the best bands, movies, TV shows ever.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
The Latest Stack Of CD's At My Desk

Justr brought home a bunch of music CD's from the office. Then, this morning I grabbed a new stack and took them in. Good listening for those times I need to stay in the office and plan how I am going to take over the world......or least how I plan to change a machine layout or something.....

Rainy Day Music - The Jayhawks
Bat Out Of Hell II - Meat Loaf
Tribute To Curtis Mayfield - Various Artists
Ripe Tomatos - Little Feat
Across A Wire - (Live) Counting Crows
Swing - Manhattan Transfer
30th Anniversary Bob Dylan Tribute Concert - Various Artists
Capitol Re-issues - Beatles (First four Capitol releases....finally!)
Arch-Allies Live Concert - Styx & REO Speedwagon
Before These Crowded Streets - Dave Matthews Band

Bear

Margin Walker

Cyburbian
If you like the Jayhawks, Bear, you should listen to "Hollywood Town Hall" (that is if you already haven't). For me it is one of those albums that never gets old. I remember exactly when and where I was when I heard it all the way through the first time and it is never far from my CD player even nearly 13 years later.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Margin Walker said:
If you like the Jayhawks, Bear, you should listen to "Hollywood Town Hall" (that is if you already haven't). For me it is one of those albums that never gets old. I remember exactly when and where I was when I heard it all the way through the first time and it is never far from my CD player even nearly 13 years later.
Margin Walker.....I have seen the CD on internet listings but haven't forked over the cash to bring it on home. Based on your recommendation, it is now on my "must buy" list. Thanx! :)

Speaking of music that is never far from a CD player.....

I was kinda down in the dumps on Saturday. Probably just a little tired. I had to drive to Bowling Green (to the bike shop!) and I grabbed my Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention CD, "Fillmore East - June, 1971". From the first chord, instant "good mood". What a great CD!

Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan were originally members of The Turtles, a very popular pop machine from the mid-1960's. You young'ns have heard their music, you just didn't know who it was:

:8: :8: "Imagine me an you, I do....so happy together....." :8: :8:

They joined Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention. This live performance from 1971 captures the spirit of Frank Zappa.....great guitar licks, weird electric sounds (Don Preston on Moog), and insane and ribald lyrics. This concert attacks "groupies" and "pop music" like nothing ever heard before. It may seem tame today.....but in that time and place.....our socks were knocked off!

"We are NOT groupies!"
"I told Robert Planet...."
"Would I lie to you, just to get in your pants?"
"Ever been to a Holiday Inn?"
"Mud Shark....do the mud shark baby....."
"Not until I hear the big hit record.....with the BULLET!"

I strongly recommend that you put on your headphones and listen to this album. It will put you in a great mood.

Bear & The Lonesome Electric Turkey

Margin Walker

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
Margin Walker.....I have seen the CD on internet listings but haven't forked over the cash to bring it on home. Based on your recommendation, it is now on my "must buy" list. Thanx! :)
I don't think you will be disappointed. You will see immediately where Rainy Day Music came from. If you like it, look for "Blue Earth" their first album.

Mark Olson has continued to put out work similar to Hollywood Town Hall since he left the band, recording lots of stuff with Victoria Williams and some other musicians as Mark Olson and the Original Harmony Creek Dippers.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Another Stack Of CD's At My Desk

This morning I grabbed another tall stack of CD's, to take in to the office on Monday morning. Usually I can listen for the first hour or so, until all the soldiers start arriving and the fire-fighting begins. As I have said before, I don't usually take anything really hard into the office, because I can't do the tunes justice when playing at a low volume. Here's the latest stack.....

How Long Has This Been Going On - Van Morrison (With Georgie Fame & Others)
Top Ten Hits - Elvis
Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette
Test For Echo - Rush
Keep It Like A Secret - Built To Spill
Blind Faith - Blind Faith
Supernatural - Santana (& Others)
Open Your Eyes - Yes
Pictures At An Exhibition - Slovak Philharmonic
Deer Hunter - Soundtrack From The Movie "Deer Hunter"
Best Of - Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks
Reveal - R.E.M.

What's in your latest stack?

Bear Rushes Blindly To Pull Trigger At Gates Of Kiev

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
sisterceleste made me listen to a CD of Hawaiian songs on the way to the FL APA conference. Um...but I don't think I'll be purchasing that....;-)

safege

Cyburbian
I checked what I don't have at home, so they better be at work.

The Radiators from Space, Live in London 1978 (later studio tracks, bonus)
Brave Combo, The Process (recommended for Bear)
Lee Wiley (forgot title, it's a compilation though) 1940's torch singer
Rockabilly Essentials (compilation)
Davie Allen and the Arrows (compilation with Cycle-delic on it)

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
safege.....I listened to some small cuts (CD Now) from The Process. Very interesting and I will probably follow-up. You obviously figured out my "taste". (Some would say, "No taste.".....but what do they know? ;-) )

I heard that Brian Setzer dumped his big band for his latest CD effort and is releasing another rockabilly disc. Perhaps going back to Stray Cat roots?
_____

At CD Now I was reading the reviews of Chicago's first two (2) albums, released in 1969 and 1970. Every review gives outstanding marks to the rock and roll horn band from the Windy City.....and especially guitarist Terry Kath (who died in the mid-1970's).

These reviews say the same thing that I have been trying to tell you music geeks.....IGNORE all of Chicago's pop stuff, that started around 1972. Listen to the first two (2) albums. Play them loud. You will be amazed at the tightness, the incredible blend of guitar rock with horns, piano,. and drums.....the precision stick work of Danny Seraphine on drums.....the vocal harmonies of three (3) lead singers. Critics at that time referred to Blood, Sweat & Tears as a horn band that played some rock and Chicago a rock band that played some horn. Do not listen to anything other than the first two (2)......they slipped into pop after that.

Bear

Boru

Cyburbian
safege said:
I checked what I don't have at home, so they better be at work.

The Radiators from Space, Live in London 1978 (later studio tracks, bonus)
Brave Combo, The Process (recommended for Bear)
Lee Wiley (forgot title, it's a compilation though) 1940's torch singer
Rockabilly Essentials (compilation)
Davie Allen and the Arrows (compilation with Cycle-delic on it)

Safege, excuse my ignorance but are the Radiators an Irish band? Bear, hope you like the Kings of Leon (is it Aha Shake Heartbreak?). I saw them live a few weeks ago and they certainly exuded attitude. It would almost inspire me to put on sterility inducing tight jeans and a dont-give-a-s**t attitude.

New Cds.
The Roots-Things fall apart (a few years old now but worth the purchase)
Super Furry Animals-The singles collection.
Sufjan Stevens-Come on feel the Illinois. (Excellent-I highly rate it).
Nouvelle Vague (the album just appears to be called Nouvelle Vague as well. Its an album of covers but done in a bossa-nova lounge style. 5 stars.)

zman

Cyburbian
I picked up U2's Greatest Hits (1980-1990) and Joss Stone The Soul Sessions the other day.

I have always liked U2, but never bought an album. They are pretty popular, but their songs are good. I like the CD a lot.

As for Joss Stone... well, someone who looks that good and sings like that... I don't have to say any more...;-) 8-! :-b :k:

safege

Cyburbian
Boru said:
Safege, excuse my ignorance but are the Radiators an Irish band? Bear, hope you like the Kings of Leon (is it Aha Shake Heartbreak?). I saw them live a few weeks ago and they certainly exuded attitude. It would almost inspire me to put on sterility inducing tight jeans and a dont-give-a-s**t attitude.

New Cds.
The Roots-Things fall apart (a few years old now but worth the purchase)
Super Furry Animals-The singles collection.
Sufjan Stevens-Come on feel the Illinois. (Excellent-I highly rate it).
Nouvelle Vague (the album just appears to be called Nouvelle Vague as well. Its an album of covers but done in a bossa-nova lounge style. 5 stars.)
Sorry for the delay. Yes, a punk rock band, a pop band, an Irish band, a political band, and a group of teenagers. All this and more, here is a link:

http://www.pogues.com/PastPogues/PChevron/Rads.html

For a quick listen, try #22 or #23 for normal people, try #11 or #12 for punk rock, or try #9 for my favorite. :8:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000001BFW/qid=1126658574/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-5201703-6638455?v=glance&s=music

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
jread said:
It's about doing the four-knuckle-shuffle.
A related question. I've read that the lyrics to Beck's "Girl" are supposed to be pretty disturbing. Has anyone actually seen the lyrics and what are they. That is, if they are printable in this family friendly forum.:cool:

SGB

Cyburbian
Whose Yur Planner said:
A related question. I've read that the lyrics to Beck's "Girl" are supposed to be pretty disturbing. Has anyone actually seen the lyrics and what are they. That is, if they are printable in this family friendly forum.:cool:
I've seen 'em, and they ain't pretty. I wouldn't print 'em here, for fear of the nightmares Rumpy might get from 'em.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Those Opening Chords

Cleaing up a few ditties.....

Boru.....Yes, this Bear likes Kings Of Leon. Yes, it is AHA SHAKE HEARTBREAK.

Z-Man.....Joss Stone is a great performer. You are soooo right, she is really nice to look at.
_____

Say, "gang".....

What about those famous opening chords? Do you have a chord or two (2) that knocks your socks off when you hear it, signalling the beginning of a tune you dig?

Perhaps the most famous opening chord in music.....the chord at the beginning of "It's A Hard Days Night" by The Beatles.

A very telltale chord start...the six (6) chords at the beginning of "Aqua-Lung" by Jethro Tull.

What say you? Anything grab you within the first chord or so?

Bear On The Park Bench :-c

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am going to be in Grand Rapids this weekend to see one of my favorite bands, Domestic Problems. It should be a good time.

The One

Cyburbian
By the way....

michaelskis said:
I am going to be in Grand Rapids this weekend to see one of my favorite bands, Domestic Problems. It should be a good time.
After I went to the Weezer/Foo Fighters concert a couple weeks ago......I got temporary hearing loss and my ears were ringing for fully 36 hours!!!! That part of the concert SUCKED! The MOSH pits were ok until they started knocking people over.....:-{ :-@ :-c :cool:

BKM

Cyburbian
The One said:
After I went to the Weezer/Foo Fighters concert a couple weeks ago......I got temporary hearing loss and my ears were ringing for fully 36 hours!!!! That part of the concert SUCKED! The MOSH pits were ok until they started knocking people over.....:-{ :-@ :-c :cool:

I have a bit of a phobia with being crowded. Mosh pits really creep me out. I am way too old for them now, anyway :) (42).

Heck, with bad feet and a iffy back, I am almost too old for standing in a club for a 2-hour concert period. :-c

NOW, FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT (AND BRITISH):

This is amazing. The local city sponsors pellet gun battles for rival youth gangs.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=845&ArticleID=1129740

Those Brits sure are "innovative" in their social programs. :-D :-c :-D

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
The Meaning Behind Aqualung & Locomotive Breath

OK, rock and roll fans.....especially those that have visited prog-rock land.....

What exactly is the meaning behind the two (2) Jethro Tull tunes that are always getting airplay on classic radio?

Aqualung
Locomotive Breath

Both of these songs are from an album that many consider to be among the best ever, AQUALUNG......issued about 1971. Both have incredible opening riffs. "Aqualung" opens with six (6) chords that are among the most-recognizable in rock and roll history. The soft melody that opens the hard rocker "Locomotive Breath" is, as many have said in reviews, just the softness of the slow start pulling out of the train station.

Ian Anderson, head dude for Jethro Tull since its' inception, claims that AQUALUNG was not a concept album. Some reviewers dispute that, seeing some strong connections from song to song.

The single "Aqualung" appears to be about a homeless ephebophile, down on his luck, hooked to an artificial breathing machine.....but still "eyeing little girls with bad intent". Incredible lyrics if you can force yourself past the sickness (and sadness) of the old man on the park bench.

"Locomotive Breath" appears to have some religious meaning. This train won't stop, it has no way to slow down. I am not sure I ever GOT it. But it is an incredible rocker.

Both of these tunes REQUIRE maximum volume.

I encourage young'n's to give these a listen. Check out the lyrics and listen at the same time. See if you can figure it out.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Another Day, Another Stack

This morning this Bear gathered up another stack of CD's to take to the workplace. I do get a chance to listen when I arrive early and before all the "fires" start. Here's the latest stack:

Wilco (Being There)
The Commitments (Soundtrack)
Kings of Lean (Aha Shake Haertbreak)
Brian Setzer (Ultimate Live Collection)
Asleep At The Wheel (The Wheel Keeps On Rollin')
Rascals (The Ultimate Rascals)
Etta James (Love Songs)
Beach Boys (Endless Summer)
Chris Duarte Group (Texas Sugar)
Bob Dylan (Highway 61 Revisted)
Tower Of Power (Live & In Living Color)
Uncle Tupelo (Still Feel Gone)
Electric Light Orchestra (Greatest Hits)
Tragically Hip (Live Between Us)
Various Fiddlers, Banjo Pickers, Etc. (Hillbilly Jazz)

This stack makes me almost want to gop into the office today (Sunday). Well, almost.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Concerning The Electric Light Orchestra

Anybody who digs The Beatles.....especially their later stuff.....is probably also a fan of The Electric Light Orchestra. The structure of late Beatles' music is similar to the structure of ELO's music.

Jeff Lynne, the lead singer for ELO, was also great friends with The Beatles. He even recorded and produced with George Harrison, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan and others. (See Traveling Wilburys...)

This Bear is NOT a good dancer.....but I still can do a great "bump" to EVIL WOMAN. :-c ;-) :-D :)

Bear

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Hey Bear or anybody else -
Have you listened to the CREAM - Royal Albert Hall (Reunion) double CD yet ? :)

BKM

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Hey Bear or anybody else -
Have you listened to the CREAM - Royal Albert Hall (Reunion) double CD yet ? :)
That sounds cool (payday today!). I was just listening to Disraeli Gears this afternoon!

Also: Jello Biafra has teamed with The Melvins. Kalifornia Uber Alles for the 21st Century is awesome! :)

You thought the Bush Cheney Regime was bad...Wait 'til you see what's next!

I am Governor Schwarzenagor
Soon I vill be Dictator
Ven you make me Pres-i-dent

Democracy will soon go 'vay
Hasta La Vista, Baybay
Kindergarten Cop in Ev-ery School

Now it iz two thousand und four
Knock Knock Knock on your bedroom door
It's the Homeland Security Secret Police
You're a Terrorist
and so is your Niece

Come quietly to the Secret Camp
Where we keep all the Girlie Men
Don't worry, it's for a good cause
Feeding Halliburton's Claws!
Also continuing to play the latest Silver Mount Zion album, and Neurosis

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Hey JNA.....

Thanx for the directional hint. I will check it out.

One (1) of my favorite albums of all time is BLIND FAITH, the first real "super group". I listen to this CD all of the time. I also have, out on the porch in vinyl, a double Ginger Baker album. That album contains some of the tunes done by Blind Faith. (I have to find it and convert it to CD. :-D )
_____

Speaking of converting vinyl to CD, the device I use to convert is about six (6) years old and quite cumbersome. Not being a true electronic geek, are there newer and better ways to convert? Technology changes so fast.

Hexx, just last week I finally threw away the crank for my truck. ;)

Bear Had To Cry Today

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Like A Rolling Stone

A couple years ago, Rolling Stone Magazine, in a poll that used the votes of many influtential rock and roll folks, named Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" the number one (1) song of all time. This pixxed off quite a few young'n's. (Where's the rap, yo?)

Tough to make a call on the number one (1) of all time. This tune would certainly be in this Bear's Top 5, though. It is an incredible work of poetry. In the mid-1960's this song slammed head-on into the youth of America.....and we were never quite the same afterward.

Originally an acoustic tune, Bob Dylan added electric guitar to his own composition and the world shuddered. (You had to be there.)

For you young'n's.....try to get past Bob Dylan's voice. Print off the lyrics from a site such as Lyrics On Demand and follow along with the song.

And try to fgure it out. Some say it was about an Andy Warhol model. Others claim it was really Bob Dylan trashing (oh the introspect) Bob Dylan. Whatever it was, it was a song that this Bear has played in the jukebox in his head thousands and thousands of times. I never get tired of this song.

BTW.....I had it in the CD player in the office today. Can you tell? :)

Bear Not Selling Any Alibis

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I just got Bon Jovi's new CD "Have a Nice Day". It's pretty good. The single is starting to take off somewhat. I'm hoping it reaches the Top 40 unlike the single from their last album.

A lot of it is reflective of the struggles in America today, including songs such as "Bells of Freedom" and "Last Man Standing", but it stays mainstream enough and includes enough songs to relate to anyone at any time. I say about half to two-thirds is pretty good. It just show's Bon Jovi's continuing of great musical talent and in-depth songwriting, so if you're expecting "You Give Love a Bad Name", sorry.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Got the iPod going on repeat for Sigur Ros here--2 songs from Takk and two from the Shanti Project. Such beautiful, majestic, and moving music. Before that it was Townes Van Zandt...great '60's era folkie, like Nick Drake but with rougher edges, more interesting.

BKM

Cyburbian
revie the trhead time, as I went to Tower Records tonight.

I may be doomed, but I am really, really getting inmto ANTHEMS TO THE WELKIN AT DUSK by infamous Norwegian Black Metallers EMPEROR. A classic! :-D

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
BKM said:

I may be doomed, but I am really, really getting inmto ANTHEMS TO THE WELKIN AT DUSK by infamous Norwegian Black Metallers EMPEROR. A classic! :-D
Dude, you have weird taste in music.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
BKM said:

BKM.....Reading your continual references to "death metal" (is that what you call it?) and reading the recent post from RJ that indicated you had "weird taste in music".......this Bear has gotta ask.....

Was this your musical direction back in your hometown? Or is this something you picked up out Cal-EE-Forn-Eye-Way way?

Does your home town have an underground death metal culture? The music and your home town don't fit. (Or at least, not to this untrained eye.)

Bear

Mtn Woman

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
RMTAN # 1
Does anybody recall the version of "Pictures At An Exhibition" done by Emerson, Lake & Palmer? I have that on vinyl. I like the classical versions and I have at least two (2) different vinyls (Berlin Philharmonic and Philly, I think). But the prog-rock version by ELP is fun, too.
My husband plays the ELP version on a regular basis. Last summer we couldn't listen to the radio without hearing some version of it (ELP or classical) every @$*&$@ day!!!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mtn Woman said:
My husband plays the ELP version on a regular basis. Last summer we couldn't listen to the radio without hearing some version of it (ELP or classical) every @$*&$@ day!!!
A tip of this Bear's hat to your husband. Good choices.

BTW.....I have not seen an introductory thread from you so allow me to be the first.....welcome to Cyburbia.

Bear