• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Just Another Music Thread

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Day 51

• Karen Dalton - It's So Hard to Tell Who's Going to Love You the Best
  • Los Van Van - ¡Ay Dios, Ampárame!
  • Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

btrage

Cyburbian
Day 51

• Karen Dalton - It's So Hard to Tell Who's Going to Love You the Best
  • Los Van Van - ¡Ay Dios, Ampárame!
  • Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
I had high hopes for Lauryn Hill after this album. It was a classic. I think she just went to jail.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
See my comments above.
I agree on both counts. That Missy Elliot album is a compilation and it has a lot of junk on it. Why they didn't just pick Supa Dupa Fly or Under Construction though is beyond me.

Stevie Wonder has always been one of my favorites and anything he put out from 1972 to 1980 is phenomenal.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Anybody else jump on the computer early this morning in order to download their copy of the new Daft Punk album? I've read a lot of negative and "meh" reviews of it but I've listened through twice now (once while running immediately after downloading it) and I really enjoy it. It's much more laid back, slower, and a bit more mature sounding than any of their previous albums, but hey, I'm a bit more mature since their last album too so it makes a good fit.

Finally hearing some new music from them reminds me of being in discotheques in Italy, Slovenia, and Croatia in the late 1990s and 2000 and hearing Homework and other cuts from them being played nonstop. And then I got to see them live at Coachella in 2006 and my mind was officially blown. Hands down the best live set I've ever seen, which is really saying something since it's just two guys in costumes standing behind computers. I have never seen a crowd get so into a set in my life.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Day 56

• BeauSoleil - Bayou Deluxe: The Best of Michael Doucet and BeauSoleil
  • Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
  • Merle Haggard & The Strangers - Mama Tried

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
Last night, I tried to watch the Boston Strong benefit concert via a live feed on Billboard.com, but it kept cutting out, buffering, and they were just having technical problems all night. I was able to catch some of the performances though, either on the live feed or through videos posted on YouTube. What a great event. I don't know why this was not televised, or at the very least, why they didn't prevent technical problems from happening with the live feed.

Aerosmith, Jason Aldean, the J. Geils Band, Boston, Godsmack, Extreme, New Kids on the Block, Jimmy Buffet, Carole King, James Taylor, Dane Cook...it's hard to get more star-studded than that!!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Day 57

• Les Paul & Mary Ford - The Best of the Capitol Masters: Ninetieth Birthday Edition
  • Pearl Jam - Ten
  • Ramones - Ramones

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Day 58

• Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing
  • Jacqueline du Pré - Elgar: Cello Concerto
  • Bobby "Blue" Bland - Two Steps From the Blues

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Did you know that Sun Ra used to tell people completely straight-faced that he was from the planet Saturn?
I did after reading the excerpt about that album in the book I am using. He sounds pretty interesting. I may have to look into him some more.

I had heard of Sun Ra before but never his actual music or read anything about him either. For some reason I always thought he was an early member of the Rastafarian movement.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Day 60

• John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman - John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman
  • Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
  • Bohuslav Martinů - Julietta

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Day 61

• Dixie Chicks - Wide Open Spaces
  • Phil Ochs - There & Now: Live in Vancouver 1968
  • Henryk Górecki - Symphony No. 3: Symphony of Sorrowful Songs

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Tonight I get to go see The Mountain Goats in Detroit. I've been waiting for them to come around here for about 8 years (I've had to travel to Grand Rapids, Chicago, and Columbus a few times to see them). As an added bonus, they are playing at the theatre next to the bowling alley that I am on a league at and was able to finagle my name onto "the list" from the owner before the end of the season. :h: I feel like a VIP

For the uninitiated, here's a good starting point: Where Do I Start With The Mountain Goats.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Day 62

• Cypress Hill - Black Sunday
  • The Mamas & The Papas - California Dreamin' (single)
  • Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Armed Forces

btrage

Cyburbian
Day 62

• Cypress Hill - Black Sunday
  • The Mamas & The Papas - California Dreamin' (single)
  • Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Armed Forces
Funny, I just heard a song off Black Sunday when I was running last night.

I very much prefer their self-titled debut album though. I assume that it's on your list if Black Sunday is.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Funny, I just heard a song off Black Sunday when I was running last night.

I very much prefer their self-titled debut album though. I assume that it's on your list if Black Sunday is.
Just Black Sunday made the book and I think I like it better than their debut. Both are great though and remind me of high school and doing things I probably should have been doing. :canada: <-- Imagine that maple leaf as a different color and a bit pointier. :a:

btrage

Cyburbian
Just Black Sunday made the book and I think I like it better than their debut. Both are great though and remind me of high school and doing things I probably should have been doing. :canada: <-- Imagine that maple leaf as a different color and a bit pointier. :a:
I'm not sure how anyone could listen to their music and NOT enjoy the maple leaf.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Day 63

• Anita Baker - Rapture
  • Screaming Trees - Dust
  • Benny Goodman & His Orchestra - Live at Carnegie Hall

One of the videos for the Rapture album was filmed at a jazz club that I had my bachelor party at.

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Day 65 is good and all, but Live at Fillmore East is one of the greatest albums of all time. Of all time!

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Day 66

• Aretha Franklin - I've Never Loved a Man the Way I love you
  • Parliament - Mothership Connection
  • Les McCann and Eddie Harris - Swiss Movement

Another very solid day.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Not only was yesterday Martha Reeve's 72nd birthday, but today is the 39th anniversary of her recording of Dancing in the Street.

[youtube]CdvITn5cAVc[/youtube]

Greatest Motown song ever?

btrage

Cyburbian
Not only was yesterday Martha Reeve's 72nd birthday, but today is the 39th anniversary of her recording of Dancing in the Street.

[youtube]CdvITn5cAVc[/youtube]

Greatest Motown song ever?
That's easily one of the tops. Such a damn good song.

As for the greatest, the only other one I would put up there would be My Girl.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Marvin Gaye. But for some reason, I don't equate him with "Motown" like I do so many other artists.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
That's easily one of the tops. Such a damn good song.

As for the greatest, the only other one I would put up there would be My Girl.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Marvin Gaye. But for some reason, I don't equate him with "Motown" like I do so many other artists.
Interestingly, Marvin Gaye was one of the writers of Dancing in the Street composing most of the music for it.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
So this came up on my run this morning:

[youtube]DmY7qgjz0ZE[/youtube]

Whenever I hear this song for some reason I have to play it about 100 times more throughout the day. Today has been no exception so far.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Day 68

• Elvis Prseley - Elvis at Sun
  • Vincenzo Bellini - Norma (1952 Maria Callas recording)
  • Steven Sondheim - A Little Night Music: Original Cast Recording

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
Loaded Molly Hatchet on the iPod yesterday. I'd forgot about them. Good stuff, whiskey man.

Flirtin' with disaster this morning.

EDIT: It ain't for everybody...just a choice few. Ya'll know what I mean. Traveling down that lonesome road.

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Back at it...

Day 70

• Los Lobos - Kiko
  • The Everly Brothers - Cadence Classics: Their Twenty Greatest Hits
  • Ismael Rivera con Kako y Su Orquesta - Lo Último en la Avenida

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Day 71

• The Sex Pistols - Nevermind The Bullocks, Here's The Sex Pistols