• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Just Another Music Thread

Gedunker

Moderating
Back at it...

Day 70

• Los Lobos - Kiko
  • The Everly Brothers - Cadence Classics: Their Twenty Greatest Hits
  • Ismael Rivera con Kako y Su Orquesta - Lo Último en la Avenida
Kiko's Dream in Blue is one of those songs that instantly becomes an earworm for me. But, stylistically, I like The Neighborhood album better. Los Lobos put on a fantastic show live, btw.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Day 72

• Sonny Rollins - A Night at the Village Vanguard
  • Frédéric Chopin - Piano Concertos Nos. 1 and 2 (Polish Festival Orchestra recording)
  • Gram Parsons - GP and Grievous Angel

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
16 years after releasing one of the greatest alternative albums ever, Neutral Milk Hotel finally came to Detroit this week and I was able to go see them last night. One of the best concerts I've ever seen (right up there with lead singer Jeff Mangum's solo show I saw last winter). Photos and recordings were strictly prohibited so I have to settle for this video from a couple weeks ago on the same tour:

[youtube]cFC1ns6PXyo[/youtube]

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Tonight I'm going to go see Ben Folds play with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. This should be interesting.

I'm hoping it's as good as his WASO performances:

[youtube]BeqqkhMpsUI[/youtube]

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
I found an old CD (remember those?) in the back of my car a couple of weeks ago. Crash Test Dummies "God Shuffled His Feet." It's a damn good album!

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
HBO has been repeatedly showing Straight Outta Compton. Fun flick and awesome music.

:8:Cruizin down the street in my 6-4:8: :money:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
For fans of '80s music, FluxBlog.org has an awesome survey of music from the decade available for download. The survey has 8 discs for each year from 1980 through 1989 and each year includes music from many genres and everything from huge Top 40 hits to influential b-sides from obscure bands. It's well worth the bandwidth and time required to download it all.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I worked the AC/DC show Saturday in DC. I have to say, Axl pretty much killed it. He was very good. My first thought when it was announced he would take over vocals when Brian Johnson had to stop was that it would be a shit show. But he nailed it. I also get the impression that Angus wants to keep playing forever. He is still all over the stage. I think he doesn't care who is in the band anymore as long as he can keep playing.

The really cool thing though was sitting backstage during the opening act and I look up and here comes a couple guys walking by. And I look closer and one is Dave Grohl. Because you know, when you're cool like that you just call up and ask the boys from AC/DC if you can swing by the dressing rooms for a visit. He didn't play but he did sit right down front. I saw that Axl was still in his dressing room at 3 am when I left which is actually pretty rare. Most artists leave immediately after the show ends.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
RIP Chris Cornell

[youtube]pBZs_Py-1_0[/youtube]

I will forever be kicking myself for turning down a last minute ticket to last night's Soundgarden show here in Detroit because I wanted to stay home and pull weeds and work in my flowerbeds. My older sister introduced me to them when I was in 7th or 8th grade when Badmotorfinger came out and Superunknown was my absolute favorite album from that era of the big Seattle grunge bands (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden). :(

The Terminator

Cyburbian
RIP Chris Cornell

[youtube]pBZs_Py-1_0[/youtube]

I will forever be kicking myself for turning down a last minute ticket to last night's Soundgarden show here in Detroit because I wanted to stay home and pull weeds and work in my flowerbeds. My older sister introduced me to them when I was in 7th or 8th grade when Badmotorfinger came out and Superunknown was my absolute favorite album from that era of the big Seattle grunge bands (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden). :(
I loved Audioslave in Middle School, Soundgarden too. Rest in Power Chris!

Bumping this thread to post some DDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVOOOOOOOOOO !

[video=youtube;MoblGXW6gS8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoblGXW6gS8[/video]

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
As I was laying in the hammock on the shore of the beach on the 4th smelling the food on the grill, I decided I needed some music and quickly put a playlist together. Being the 4th of July, I needed some music that made me think of 'Murica. I wasn't about to blast the John Philip Sousa, so what to play? For me, when it's outdoors in the summer at the BBQ, it means the Beach Boys, CCR, Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, Santana, Hendrix, Steely Dan, Wilco, Talking Heads, etc...

What's on your go to summer playlists?

Of course, I was reminded of this gem of a commercial:

[youtube]2eGWW8KOQio[/youtube]
(My sister and I used to love when this commercial would come on the TV)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
The rage of 1879

[youtube]zSGWoXDFM64[/youtube]
I am the very model of a modern Major-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;a
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news, (bothered for a rhyme)
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

I'm very good at integral and differential calculus;
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous:
In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's;
I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox,
I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus,
In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous;
I can tell undoubted Raphaels from Gerard Dows and Zoffanies,
I know the croaking chorus from The Frogs of Aristophanes!
Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din afore, (bothered for a rhyme)b
And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinafore.

Then I can write a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform,
And tell you ev'ry detail of Caractacus's uniform:c
In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,

In fact, when I know what is meant by "mamelon" and "ravelin",
When I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin,d
When such affairs as sorties and surprises I'm more wary at,
And when I know precisely what is meant by "commissariat",
When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery,
When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery –
In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy – (bothered for a rhyme)
You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee.e

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Does your fair city carry the Jerry Osbourne Mr. Music Column ?

DEAR JERRY: Having read your column on the top-selling artists who never had a No. 1 single, I am now wondering about the LP equivalent.
Who are some of the artists fortunate enough to make the Top 5 with one or more LPs, but never able to reach No. 1?
-- Peter Sylvester, Boulder City, Nev

DEAR PETER: When researching this topic, the first thing that jumps out is that well over a hundred artists of the LP (i.e., vinyl) era saw their albums peak somewhere in the Top 5, but never at No. 1.
It must have been especially frustrating for those with multiple LPs that rose no higher than No. 2, including: Aretha Franklin; Herman's Hermits; Steve Miller; Joni Mitchell; and Nancy Wilson.
Then there are the Commodores, with four LPs that stalled at No. 3.

Alphabetically by artists, their highest ranked LPs and years of issue are identified. When more than one peaked at the same number, all are listed:

Jeff Beck "Blow By Blow" (1975) No. 4
Dave Brubeck Quartet "Time Out Featuring Take Five" (1960) No. 2
Cheap Trick "Cheap Trick at Bodukan" (1979) No. 4
Jefferson Airplane "Surrealistic Pillow" No. 3
Steve Miller Band "The Joker" (1973) No. 2
Nilsson "Nilsson Schmillsson" (1971) No. 3
Rush "Moving Pictures" (1981) No. 3
Steely Dan "Aja" (1977) No. 3
Traffic "John Barleycorn Must Die" (1970) No. 5
Who "Quadrophenia" (1973) No. 2
These were my selective sampling of his list.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Lou Reed AND Jim Carroll!

[youtube]0oxJmvSpap0[/youtube]
That was the song of my college freshman year. One of the guys in the dorm thought it was the best song ever.

I'm not really a country music fan, at least not in the current sense of the word. I do like some of the older stuff, like Willie, Waylon and the boys. Given that, when our local NPR station did a profile on Paul Cauthen, I was intrigued. When I bought his album I was hooked. My current favorite album. The music mix sounds like a direct descendant of 1970s outlaw country, and at times his voice makes it sound like he's channeling Waylon Jennings.

[youtube]zT4jDn4e9lg[/youtube]

Doohickie

Cyburbian
These were my selective sampling of his list.
Cheap Trick "Cheap Trick at Bodukan" (1979) No. 4. I can't imagine Cheap Trick is too worried about not getting any higher than No. 4. This album single-handedly propelled them into the ranks of major rock and roll bands. It's easily the best thing they ever put out and they no doubt made a healthy profit off the album and subsequent tours. When all else fails, take your tour to Japan.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I've been listening to the Fluxblog survey of 1990s music and cannot stop. '93 to '96 are awesome, but that may just be me being sentimental for my high school years.

If you enjoyed listening to college radio, Top 40 or even country or watching BET or VH1 or MTV in the '90s, and have time to download about 2,000+ songs, I highly recommend it.

They also have an almost equally as awesome '80s survey.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Hal Blaine died yesterday. Not exactly a household name but he was a drummer with The Wrecking Crew, probably the greatest group of session musicians ever assembled. I would say the only other comparable groups were the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section or The Funk Brothers from Motown.

Blaine would have an awesome discography on his own - He's a Rebel, Good Vibrations, Be My Baby, Strangers in the Night, Monday Monday, Eve of Destruction... and probably thousands more (I think I've read that he played the drums on close to 200 songs that charted).

A couple Hal Blaine highlights:

If you have access to it (I know it used to be on the Netflix), I highly recommend The Wrecking Crew documentary.

mgk920

Cyburbian
I am the very model of a modern Major-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;a
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news, (bothered for a rhyme)
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

[snippage]
This makes me wonder if Tom Lehrer will be updating The Elements to reflect the more recent additions to the periodic table (now named up to 118).

:thinking:

Mike

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Listening to Herb Alpert now. Okay, after the brief commercial.
Before I discovered the joys of Punk/New Wave/Grunge/Alternative, I liked Herb Alpert both with the Tijuana Brass and as a solo act. Then again, I also liked Spyro Gyra and Chuck Mangione. Guess my musical taste changed a bit.