• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Subdivision Just different names for flag lots

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Are these just different names for the same lot configuration ?

Flag
Pipestem
Pork Chop

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I live on a martini glass lot in a conservation subdivision. The stem is a shared driveway with my neighbors. All the houses face the stem in each cluster. We share driveway maintenance.

martini_glass_lot.png

Affordable "normal" housing is rare in the area where I work. We saw a normal house, close to town, in our price range, and we jumped on it, despite the conservation subdivision weirdness. It was the "least weird" of the other options we saw.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I live on a martini glass lot in a conservation subdivision. The stem is a shared driveway with my neighbors. All the houses face the stem in each cluster. We share driveway maintenance.
And how is that working out for you? Snow? I know I'd get the neighbor that refuses all winter maintenance.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

View attachment 48071

Affordable "normal" housing is rare in the area where I work. We saw a normal house, close to town, in our price range, and we jumped on it, despite the conservation subdivision weirdness. It was the "least weird" of the other options we saw.
Huh, that's the first time I've seen 'funnel lots'. Doesn't look half bad, IMHO

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
And what would that be?
The shared driveways, somewhat smaller lots than the minimum lot size for the zone (which is still pretty big by outside-of-the-Northeastern-US standards), and inaccessible, useless "open space" hidden behind backyards.

But the house is relatively normal.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Found a few more names Googling around.

Keyhole lot. Doesn't seem very obvious.

Rear lot. Ehh. Too easy to mistake it for "lot rear", or an alley lot.

In Canada, the term porkchop lot means the same thing as alley lot in some parts of the US -- a lot carved from the rear of an existing lot, with alley access only, and no "flagpole".

There's also the carriage lot, which is on a contiguous piece of land surrounded by alleys.