• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Just entering the world of the "planner"

MitchBaby

Cyburbian
Hey all,

Having just graduated from Queen's University in Kingston Ontario, I'm glad to be back on the Best Coast aka the West Coast in Vancouver. Its good to be home.

Any other Vancouverites out there?

Later

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Welcome! I visited Vancouver this past Spring and loved it! Good luck there.

moose

Welcome!

Every so often, I see articles posted here on Cyburbia that talk about how Vancouver, BC is the greatest when it comes to planning (inspiration for Portland, etc.) I'd be interested to know if you agree....?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Hello fellow western canadian planner... I used to live on Whidbey Island (in WA state) and I got to visit Vancouver on a regular basis (usually to go to hockey games). I only get out there about twice a year these days. I envy your weather (as well as your radio stations). Enjoy being back on the best coast.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome to the board. Left coast is always welcome in these bastions of GOP occupied territory. :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
welcome
from one with a thin connection to Canada.

fever

I've been lurking here a while and haven't registered before this because there's a lack of topics that relate to anything near me.. I'm a student (nothing related to planning) at UBC living in North Vancouver. I'm mostly interested in urban transportation..

i may post some photos sometime.. I have a good amount of photos of Vancouver's Millennium SkyTrain Line as well as street level and skyline photos.

It's good to see that I won't be the only Vancouverite on here. May I ask, which municipality will you be in??

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Always good to have another Canuck on board, eh? Just to piss Mike D off at least...

Welcome Vancouverites. I've only visited the east coast, so I'll have to withold judgement on which is the "best" coast. So long as we all agree that Toronto is, and forever will be, the centre of the universe. ;)

Fever - pics of urban transit are more than welcome in the Trains, Planes, and Automobiles Forum. Feel free to start your own threads too if you want to discuss urban transportation...

H

Cyburbian
Never been to Vancouver, but my boss went camping out there last summer. Said it was purty.

Welcome to Cyburbia.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Welcome! I never made it to Vancouver but I'm sure it's beautiful if it looks anything like what little I did see of southern BC.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Welcome. I'm a little jealous of Vancouver. I keep reading articles about how wonderful your waterfront is and how the city has gotten people to live downtown. I hope to visit someday.

MitchBaby

Cyburbian
Thanks for the welcome

Hey all,

Thanks for the welcome - I'll tell you a little about my planning interests and likes etc. As mentioned, I just graduated from Queen's University in Kingston Ontatio just in May with my Master's in Urban and Regional Planning and have been employed with the University of BC's planning department since my return to Vancouver.

Its nice to see a few vancouverites on the list - I do think that we are among the luckiest people to live in a place with great mountains, ocean, and the ability to live downtown... its a great city and for anyone who hasn't seen it, it is well worth visiting... consider 2010 for example, when the olympics come this way!

My interests within planning are pretty broad - I started with transportation planning, namely transit use and universal transportation passes for communities, and have moved towards emergency response planning and planning the recovery of communities after natural disasters, which in the case of Vancouver, is likely to be an earthquake.

Well, that's it... and sadly, I have to start my work day, so later!

donk

Cyburbian
I have to start my work day, so later!
Rule #1 for cyburbia, you must post at least once per day from the office. If you work in the public sector this should be increased 5 fold.

pandersen

Cyburbian
Welcome

Howdy:
Don't feel alone, there are a few of us from Cannuckistan lurking in these here waters.

As for the west coast being the best, I've travelled to all three coasts (east, north and west) even though I'm from the "Centre of the Univers" and decided that I couldn't make up my mind so I'm living in the dead centre of Canada in Manitoba until the "undertow" pulls me one way or the other.

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "surfing the net" don't it!.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Welcome to the group. Enjoyed Vancouver when I visited it a few years back. Actually, I enjoyed a Vancouverite more, and vice versa. But that is a whole 'nother story. And you are probably too young.