• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Just in Time for Halloween : The Airplane Graveyard

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Yeah...especially when you consider there's more airpower parked there than the Canadian Air Force currently possesses.

Wonder if they'd let me borrow one of those B-52s for a couple of hours. I'd bring it back...honest!

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
A graveyard of B52's, A7's,F4's, F14's, and F15's plus many others that must make some dicators drool. Hell, there is more firepower there than most air forces.

That reminds me, maybe I'll put a potato down my pants and go as a dicator for halloween.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
SlaveToTheGrind said:
That reminds me, maybe I'll put a potato down my pants and go as a dicator for halloween.
JOKE GRENADE. That one took me 10 seconds after the pin as pulled. ROTFLMOA

Budgie

Cyburbian
Playground

When I was 5, we lived on Davis Mothan (spelling) Air Force Base in Tucson. Our house was across a strip of desert from the airplane graveyard, it was spooky as a kid to look over at the deserted planes. Growing up on military installations is a trip. SR-71's over the playground, anti-nuke protesters on the way to school, liquored up airman traveling in small packs, foreign gals trying to find an angle to get to the states. AHHHHH, those were the days.

Rem

Cyburbian
Can these things be put back into service if desired or are they really junked?

Budgie

Cyburbian
Rem said:
They're being stockpiled for the Third American Revolution.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
I don't have the will power to stockpile beer.
I can't leave good stuff in my fridge but someone left some Natural Light after a party and I have not touched that!
So the lesson is stockpile the bad stuff!!!!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Rem said:
The web site says they were decommissioned as a part of the nuke stand down with the ruskies, and that they were put here so visibly so that their dismantlement could be confirmed by the commie spy satellites.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Those were other planes. They took them out into the desert and used a giant guillatine machine to cut their fusalage in two so the soviet spy satellites could take pictures of them, after that they were presumably scrapped.

These planes are theoretically still usable, but some of them have been out there for decades and have very old equipment, so they're pretty nearly useless. I don't know if they routenly scrap old planes out of there or not. I know many of them are used for parts for in-service planes, so quite a few are likely in various stages of decomposition. Also, to bring a plane back, it would have to undergo an intensive inspection and overhaul, so it's certanly not like they could just roll it off the desert and fly away.

There's appearently a big commercial airliner graveyard out there too, that's really big right now because of the decline of the airline industry, they mothball planes out there while waiting for a pickup in the industry.

ludes98

Cyburbian
jordanb said:

There's appearently a big commercial airliner graveyard out there too, that's really big right now because of the decline of the airline industry, they mothball planes out there while waiting for a pickup in the industry.
True. There are actually 2 commercial airliner storage areas. One is north of Tucson in the middle of the desert. The other is on the western edge of Phoenix, soon to be surrounded by sprawl.

nerudite

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
True. There are actually 2 commercial airliner storage areas. One is north of Tucson in the middle of the desert. The other is on the western edge of Phoenix, soon to be surrounded by sprawl.
A creative solution to Phoenix's affordable housing problems? ;)