• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Just saying Hi

Helena

Howzit folks

I have just registered and would like to say Hi to everyone.

This forum looks more than useful, and I am sure it will not be my last visit.

I am a Town and Regional Planner working for local government in South Africa, and I will definitely share some ideas with you in future on how we are doing the "planning thing" here in SA.

See you later

el Guapo

Capitalist
Welcome to Cyburbia

Welcome: We are a friendly bunch...a bit focused on North America...but friendly. Keep us informed on how you do things as I am sure we could learn from your planning perspective.

Welcome indeed. I know that a lot of North American planners are eager to get the scoop on planning abroad, so I imagine you'll be quite well received here. One of my good friends just went on a three week vacation to S.A. and I just got to check out her huge photo album from the trip.... so amazing and beautiful. It will be nice to have your perspective.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Helena!

Welcome aboard! I've said this many times before -- we're always looking to expand our virtual community of planners outside of North America. We get a lot of folks from outside NA registering, but unfortunately they seldom post.

I'd like to see more folks from Australia, New Zealand, SA and Namibia here -- the planning systems are superficially similar, but the social and market forces working in the background must be quite different. I know that planners in Jo'burg are grappling with municipal consolidation, informal settlements, gated communities, the decline of the CBD, billboard proliferation, public transportation (or the lack thereof), and so on. We hear less about Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth and the other cities, but they're probably facing similar challenges. What part of the country are you in?

Please -- jump on in, and bring some of your friends. BTW, donations of Castle and biltong are always accepted.

One thing I have to ask ... what's an erf?

Dan

Mary

It's good to see new people here. You may have to tell us a bit about planning in South Africa so that we can see how it differs from planning in the US or in Canada.