• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Kansas City - Country Club Plaza area (even more)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Nice photos. Dan, have you been to O'Dowd's Irish Pub at Country Club Plaza? I was there 2 summers ago and I loved their rooftop deck (and their Guinness!)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
The mix of uses and a lot of the architecture is great but why the Spanish theme - especially next to some of the other styles? Is the area a conventional neighborhood or is it all owned mall-style by one big company? From what I understand this area is a lotmore vibrant than downtown KC.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Dan,

Where in Kansas City does a single man go to find the single ladies?!

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
a friend of mine told me of an awesome steakhouse somewhere in the country club complex..he said it was fantastic and very well known..I don't recall the name he told me.

Stockton

Probably Plaza III, The Steakhouse. They only have two locations, Boston and Kansas City's Country Club Plaza.

MontyP

Explanation

Seabishop said:
The mix of uses and a lot of the architecture is great but why the Spanish theme - especially next to some of the other styles? Is the area a conventional neighborhood or is it all owned mall-style by one big company? From what I understand this area is a lotmore vibrant than downtown KC.

The reason, I am almost certain of since I grew up 40 miles west of KC, is that Seville, Spain is the sister city of Kansas City. It was a concious effort to mix in some spanish style. Another possible or likely reason is that KC was the eastern terminus of the Santa Fe Trail, which connected the Midwest with the Southwest in pioneer times.

At any rate, it is probably the farthest north you will see spanish architecture in the middle of the country..

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
I believe J.C. Nicholls, the developer shose the style simply to have a unified look. It's remarkable how the shopping "mall" has stayed true to his vision. I believe any new construction must follow the style conventions that have been established. When the plaza was built, it was out at the edge of the city, so Nichols could pretty much pick whatever style he wanted.

The country club plaza is one of my favorite places to go in KC. It beats the heck out of seeing the fabulous stockyards on my grandfather's legendary slum tour.

metroboi

Cyburbian
Nice Photos of an interesting neighborhood.

Is that highrise an apartment building in this photo?

1dsc00669-med.jpg

el Guapo

Capitalist
metroboi said:
Nice Photos of an interesting neighborhood.

Is that highrise an apartment building in this photo?

1dsc00669-med.jpg
Yes it is a condo building, and my grandfather was once the doorman there. :)

GRID

Cyburbian
I'm shocked at how many big, solid buildings are in that area. I had no idea central K.C. had that kind of bulky density.