• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Kansas City - Country Club Plaza area

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Some pics taken at sunset a couple of weeks ago. Larger images are in the Cyburbia Gallery.

There really was far more pedestrian traffic than what you'll see in the photos, but for some reason I couldn't capture it.

Attachments

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
More images.

Attachments

BKM

Cyburbian
Nice. Looks like Walnut Creek, CA (Or, since this is THE ORIGINAL, I should say that Walnut Creek looks like Country Club Plaza :) )

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Dan,

It looks like a nice area. What's the story behind the name? "Country club", to me, conjure up golf and tennis and yuppies.

oulevin

Cyburbian
Nice Country Club Plaza

It looks like a beautiful area. It's not too much of stretch to say it a planner's dream (at least community developer's)? Who was behind it, and what, if any, influence did the KC planning department have on it?

Stockton

Greenescapist said:
Dan,

It looks like a nice area. What's the story behind the name? "Country club", to me, conjure up golf and tennis and yuppies.
The Kansas City Country Club, until it moved a couple miles west into Kansas, was directly south of the Plaza. The land is now a public park, Loose Park. It's a nice park, probably Kansas City's nicest, but it isn't signifcantly urban. The area around Loose Park is called the "Country Club District", it is mostly residential.

ablarc

Cyburbian Emeritus
Looks good. Reminds me of Shaker Square. A little bit suburban, a little bit urban. Planning here started in the 1920's?

Budgie

Cyburbian
I've frequently glided around the Country Club Plaza. Studio apartments run around $750 - $900. Renowed land use attorney, Robert Freilich (Bob), lives 1 block south and works 2 blocks north of the Plaza.

GRID

Cyburbian
That Plaza area of KC has always been the "star" of that city. It really is so gorgeous. My parents are moving to K.C. and I have thought about joining them for awhile to be closer to family. It is not exactly my idea of the funnest city, but KC still has a lot going for it...