• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Kansas City, Missouri - Brookside neighborhood (LONG)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Kansas City's Brookside neighborhood is about 2 km south of Country Club Plaza. Brookside was developed in the 1920s by the J.C. Nichols Company, which also developed the Plaza. It's an stable middle and upper-middle class neighborhood that is experiencing some gentrification.

I've found that Brookside residents can be irritating, because so many of them rarely waste an opportunity to say that they're from Brookside. European-style oval bumper stickers reading BKS are a common sight throughout the Kansas City area. Still, though, it's a pretty neighborhood.

Larger images can be seen in the Gallery.

Check out the abandoned streetcar tracks in the first photo!

1brookside_101.jpg

1brookside_102.jpg

1brookside_103.jpg

1brookside_104.jpg

1brookside_105.jpg

1brookside_106.jpg

1brookside_107.jpg

1brookside_108.jpg

1brookside_109.jpg

1brookside_112.jpg

1brookside_113.jpg

1brookside_114.jpg

1brookside_115.jpg

1brookside_116.jpg

1brookside_117.jpg

1brookside_118.jpg

1brookside_119.jpg

1brookside_120.jpg

1brookside_121.jpg

1brookside_122.jpg

1brookside_123.jpg

1brookside_124.jpg

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Trolley Track Trail follows an abandoned streetcar/interurban right-of-way through Brookside and South Kansas City.

1brookside_110.jpg

1brookside_111.jpg

1brookside_125.jpg

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
The homes are fantastic. I'd brag too.

Every corner store looks the same though. Damn awnings.

And I was struck that the outdoor clasroom was fenced to discourage use.

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
GREAT pics!!!!!! wow. I like that neighborhood. its such a huge change from what I have seen in KC - miles and miles of cookie cutter subdivisions.

JNL

Cyburbian
I like - especially all the trees around the houses.

Is it just me or are there a lot of pink cars in those photos??

bwelde72

I can't see the pictures

Hi,

My wife and I are considering moving to Brookside. I'd love to see your pictures but they are not showing for us in your cyburbia post. Is there some other way we can view them?

Brian

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It's an old post, and Gallery image URLs have changed slightly. I edited the image URLs, so they should now be visible,

Tosspot

Cyburbian
As a Kansas Citian, I'll say that technically, Brookside is "walkable," but it's the kind of walkable where you drive to get where you're going there, park, and then walk between errands. The "real city" aspect of walking from residence to destination and in between isn't a reality, and that's just kind of what annoys me about it, and how we've set up American cities lately.