• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Kansas City UNDERGROUND

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The opposite of a skyline ... Parkville Commercial Underground is typical of the many reused limestone mines in Kansas City. About 10% of the office and industrial space in the Kansas City area is underground.

The follwing images were taken today.

1dsc00743.jpg

1dsc00744.jpg

1dsc00745.jpg

1dsc00746.jpg

1dsc00748.jpg

1dsc00749.jpg

1dsc00751.jpg

1dsc00752.jpg

1dsc00753.jpg

1dsc00754.jpg

1dsc00756.jpg

1dsc00761.jpg

1dsc00762.jpg

1dsc00763.jpg

1dsc00757.jpg

1dsc00764.jpg

1dsc00758.jpg

1dsc00760.jpg

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Looks cool, and the idea is quite cool too, but I don't see many vent shafts, people, and lights around there (which can create quite a bunch of problems) :p
Another concern is safety....what's ther probability of the thing colapsing...

The images look nice, but it looks too deserted... I'll pay $10,000 if somebody can show me a person in those pictures (without the help of the photoshop fairy :p)

BTW, it looks like one just goes on with your car into it... wouldn't that create some exhaust problem... cause, as I said before... I don't see vent shafts....

Anyways cool place... :D

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I think it would be cool to have a bar/club down there. Kind of like a rathskellar concept??

I would be concerned of emergency egress - I'm assuming there has to be multiple ways to get out in case of fire, etc.

What do they build above ground - is it just open space?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Interesting and creative reuse. I also noticed the lack of natural lighting within the complex. Could that be a possible health issue? My last office was in a below grade basement without a natural light source and I hated it with a passion.

Also,what about drainage and water retention problems? Are the mines not that deep or is that not a concern with the Kansas City area topography and hydrology the way it is here in Western PA?

H

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner: I think it would be cool to have a bar/club down there. Kind of like a rathskellar concept??

One would tend to think that, but bars/clubs in underground areas with dim lighting and lots of nooks and crannies draw crime. Look at Underground Atlanta. They tried it in the 70’s and had to close down from the drug dealers, prostitutes, thieves and beggars. They reopened again in the 1990’s and I will argue that this has happened again. It is okay to go during the day or during a big event, but outside of that you need to be in a group. The bars themselves are fine, but it’s when you walk around the corner on the way back to the hotel, the train or to your car. It is just too easy to hide.

It might function with offices that don’t cater to loiters, but I would be scared to work there because I would feel “trapped”. But that is just me, and I am weird. But other wise, kudos, cheers, salud for a creative concept. I hope it works and you keep us posted.

Dan, is it fully leased out? What type of companies are there? How far is it from an urban area? The photos seem to look rural, it that the case?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Huston said:
/COLOR]

One would tend to think that, but bars/clubs in underground areas with dim lighting and lots of nooks and crannies draw crime. Look at Underground Atlanta. They tried it in the 70’s and had to close down from the drug dealers, prostitutes, thieves and beggars.

So what's the matter with that? I've bought some of the worlds finest jewelery, colognes and Rolex watches at Underground Atlanta. Well not really 'in' Underground but out of the trunk of Buick and a suit case at the MARTA station.

Last edited:

Jeff

Cyburbian
That really is a neat concept, but like most others, in this day and age it just seems too dangerous to me. But...we are only seeing small portions of the place. Are there interior stairs in each of the "establishments" that lead to the outside?

I'm not worried about ventilation, I'm sure that's the first thing thst was considered, but fire would be bad. Mineshaft fires are nasty, and one here wouldn't be much different. All occupants would probably have to "shelter in place" and wait it out. But, I imagine there is some sort of elaborate sprinkler system?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I like the adaptive use, but the whole concept creeps me out on some clausterphobic level.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I've heard that this concept is very successful in Montreal, where they have dreadful winters. But, I wouldn't think things would be as bad in KC. And yes, it did look pretty depressing.

KCgridlock

I didn't even know Parville had one of those. Ever been in Subtropolis? Now that place is huge, lots of people, cars, trains and trucks. It's also kinda creepy.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
KCgridlock said:
I didn't even know Parville had one of those. Ever been in Subtropolis? Now that place is huge, lots of people, cars, trains and trucks. It's also kinda creepy.
I've heard of SubTroplis, but I don't know how to get there.

SubTropolis is located across the Missouri River from Kansas City, Mo., and is 100 feet underground. Created by limestone mining, it offers 4.3 million square feet of building space and more than 20 million square feet of developed space (roads, for example).

This represents approximately 10 percent of Kansas City's total industrial property and is larger than the city's downtown business district, according to Tom Steadman, vice president of Hunt Midwest Real Estate Development, which manages SubTropolis. Steadman says it's the largest underground business complex in the world.

Around 50 businesses have settled there, primarily distribution centers for such companies as Safeway Foods and Hallmark Cards. New arrivals include Smith St. John, leasing 110,000 square feet for distribution of kitchen equipment, and Stens, leasing 38,000 square feet for distribution of lawn equipment. Light manufacturing also takes place underground.
There's an underground in Lenexa that I'm going to try and check out this week.

KCgridlock

I-435 and 210. It's basically under Worlds of Fun. There is even a yearly 5k there or something. It's huge. I think it's up to 5 million sq ft now. There are also big cave complexes in KCK, Independence, East KCMO and Lee's Summit. Lenexa? Didn't know about that one, kinda flat out there isn't? Did you know there is one in Midtown near fox 4 news?

Anyway here is a site map of subtropolis. notice arrowhead stadium on the lower right to give you some scale of how big it is.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I had heard that the mines were used for warehousing, but was not aware of how much space there was, and how many other uses were going on underground.

As a good Badger, I am not opposed to activities like these occuring underground. In fact, given the alternative of the landscape being chewed up, I think it is a great solution.

KCPowercat

I had to run some cable in another underground storage place on 435 south of subtropolis when I was younger...

it would be depressing to work down there....no natural light...had to run outside antennas to get radios, etc.....but hey, my office doesn't have a window either.

Always the same temperature. I think it's a good idea for a storage type area or industrial space but I wouldn't want to be an office worker there.

They even have a paintball field in subtropolis.

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
me too..I've bought some great things underground, namely under Times Sq. in NYC..the subtropolis idea in KC looks awesome!!! wow. I would love to check it out once it gets going. I also love the underground passages / malls in Montreal. they are great!!!!