• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

    Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Fantasy football 🏈 Keeper Poll - Please REVOTE in the thread!

Keeper League - Vote in the thread!

  • Keepers (3)

    Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No Keepers

    Votes: 4 30.8%

  • Total voters
    13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
Here it is... It seems we have several folks who are hanging around and playing every year. The only problem is this... If someone quits, either the league contracts, or someone fills in and uses their roster to pick keepers. If we need MORE space, it's much easier.

So... Here's the poll.... that didn't work

For Keepers (3 only as six wasn't working):

Mastiff
Gedunker
NHPlanner
Repo Man
Giff57
Donk
Dragon
Boiker

For NO Keepers:

BEK
Planderella
Slave to the Grind
Tranplanner
Plankton

Abstain:

Joe Lliff


Looks like keepers. Even if we wait for two new people, they can't get over 8 with one abstaining...
 
Last edited:

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
9,945
Points
40
[mod hat]
After thinking about it a bit, I changed my mind....and altered the poll #'s accordingly to reflect my change....because I CAN!! ;-)
[/mod hat]
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
NHPlanner said:
[mod hat]
After thinking about it a bit, I changed my mind....and altered the poll #'s accordingly to reflect my change....because I CAN!! ;-)
[/mod hat]
10 teams... 9 votes! Where's our other owner?!
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
NHPlanner said:
[mod hat]
After thinking about it a bit, I changed my mind....and altered the poll #'s accordingly to reflect my change....because I CAN!! ;-)
[/mod hat]

Well, right now it's 6-3 for a keeper league... Just the numbers for 6 or 3 are off. I'm betting we end up with a 3 player keeper league.
 
Messages
5,352
Points
31
I don't want to keep any of those non-performing jerks from last season. Hmm.....I just remembered that I had a couple of special players that I wouldn't mind keeping. I may need to rethink my position, but right now, I'm with no keepers.
 

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
11,487
Points
41
No keepers from last year. But I'd be cool with starting keepers with this season. If that's the case, three is the right number, IMO.

Still Psycho
 

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Messages
1,444
Points
27
My 2 cents:

New draft every year and make it a live draft. Hey, we all obviously have computers and we can make time to use a live draft. I have done it this way many times and it is a lot more interesting and fun - took way too long last time to draft. Also, get rid of the individual defensesive players, go by team.
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
SlaveToTheGrind said:
My 2 cents:

New draft every year and make it a live draft. Hey, we all obviously have computers and we can make time to use a live draft. I have done it this way many times and it is a lot more interesting and fun - took way too long last time to draft. Also, get rid of the individual defensesive players, go by team.
Are you even signed up yet?
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
This will NOT be about keeping last years players...

This is about starting a keeper league THIS year. At the end of the year, I post the rosters, and then before the draft NEXT year, you declare who you'll be keeping.

If that changes any votes, let me know.
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
SlaveToTheGrind said:
My 2 cents:

New draft every year and make it a live draft. Hey, we all obviously have computers and we can make time to use a live draft. I have done it this way many times and it is a lot more interesting and fun - took way too long last time to draft. Also, get rid of the individual defensesive players, go by team.
We can vote on it... Some people can't make a live draft, and they are at a disadvantage.

On individual D players. I think it adds a great deal of fun to the game... Just a small amount of research, and you can pick up solid players. Did people not like it last year? (I've always played that way)
 

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
9,945
Points
40
My 2 cents:

3 keepers, starting this year.

Defensive Players rather than teams....way more fun and challenging!
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
Erm...

How did we end up with 15 votes when we only have 12 teams signed up?

Sheesh... Okay. Let's finish signing up, we have two slots left open, then we'll just sound off.
 

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Messages
1,361
Points
23
I'm against the idea of a keeper league. In fairness, each team should have an opportunity to draft different players each season without being restricted from players that would already be unavailable prior to the draft.

Also, let's have a live draft.
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
Big Easy King said:
I'm against the idea of a keeper league. In fairness, each team should have an opportunity to draft different players each season without being restricted from players that would already be unavailable prior to the draft.

Also, let's have a live draft.

We can have a quick vote on a live draft, too. Some may want days... some nights... some might want to do it one here.

Let's get these three out of the way. I'm going to keep a tally of the votes (it looks like if we do keepers, it'll only be 3) up on my original post.
 

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
5,443
Points
34
If we end up doing a keeper, I hope someone has last years rosters. I know I don't know who all I had.
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
giff57 said:
If we end up doing a keeper, I hope someone has last years rosters. I know I don't know who all I had.
No no... we're starting a keeper league this year. We keep players from this years draft for next season.
 

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
5,443
Points
34
Mastiff said:
No no... we're starting a keeper league this year. We keep players from this years draft for next season.

Am I the only one who didn't know that? Can we vote if we want a keeper after the draft then :)
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
giff57 said:
Am I the only one who didn't know that? Can we vote if we want a keeper after the draft then :)
That's the only option. No way you can start a keeper league after the fact... So, just let me know your preference, and I'll post it!
 

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Messages
2,549
Points
25
Keeper league sounds awesome. I have been trying to implement this in the league I run with friends, but it always gets voted down.

We need to make the decision before the draft because it should impact your strategy...like whether to take a promising rookie that may take a year or so to develop.
 

plankton

Cyburbian
Messages
750
Points
21
Now this is getting serious....

Wow.....this is really getting interesting - so many choices, I feel like I'm at a historic review committee meeting considering 16 different designs for a 19th century carriage house or something.....

Long story short, I am okay with whatever the decisions may be on all of these different choices. Here are my comments though:

An email draft versus a live draft is probably better given the reasons several people have already mentioned. It's only June for pete's sake - if we get going soon, there's no way Mastiff should have to pull another all-nighter getting all of the teams set on time :-c

Let's say we go with three keepers. Whomever gets the first pick has a huuuge advantage over the poor sap picking 14th. Assuming its serpentine, again poor #14 gets the pleasure of picking last in two of the three rounds. I'd knock the number of keepers down to 2 or up to 4 (or, as I voted previously, to none at all). That being said, is that where the one round of Rookie Draft would help provide some equity in that #14 would get to pick first in the rookie draft? I'm not sure I understood that correctly.....

I'd suggest having a Defensive Team. I'm indifferent on the defensive players.
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
plankton said:
Wow.....this is really getting interesting - so many choices, I feel like I'm at a historic review committee meeting considering 16 different designs for a 19th century carriage house or something.....

Long story short, I am okay with whatever the decisions may be on all of these different choices. Here are my comments though:

An email draft versus a live draft is probably better given the reasons several people have already mentioned. It's only June for pete's sake - if we get going soon, there's no way Mastiff should have to pull another all-nighter getting all of the teams set on time :-c

Let's say we go with three keepers. Whomever gets the first pick has a huuuge advantage over the poor sap picking 14th. Assuming its serpentine, again poor #14 gets the pleasure of picking last in two of the three rounds. I'd knock the number of keepers down to 2 or up to 4 (or, as I voted previously, to none at all). That being said, is that where the one round of Rookie Draft would help provide some equity in that #14 would get to pick first in the rookie draft? I'm not sure I understood that correctly.....

I'd suggest having a Defensive Team. I'm indifferent on the defensive players.
Sooooo... yes or no on 3 keepers? (Believe me, the first 3 you draft will probably NOT be the ones you keep.)
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
Only 8 Votes!

Five in favor. If you haven't voted IN THE THREAD, so your vote is listed in the first post, I need to know!
 

Dragon

Cyburbian
Messages
750
Points
21
I voted for 3 keepers.


Edit: I originally voted in poll, but didn’t post.
 
Last edited:

boiker

Cyburbian
Messages
3,889
Points
26
I vote for keepers if the league can remain somewhat competitive and active through the years. If this is going to be a casual league, no keepers.
 

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Messages
7,181
Points
30
boiker said:
I vote for keepers if the league can remain somewhat competitive and active through the years. If this is going to be a casual league, no keepers.
Well, this is year #3, and aside from growing to 14 from 12, It's very close to the same. Jeff "Pimp Dawg" left... and one other team doesn't seem to be around. But out of 12, ten teams are back.

I think there will be some drops and adds, but even if it happens, when you "get" a team, you inherit the former years players. If there aren't 3 players worth keeping, well, I can't imagine that happening. I'm in a 14 team league with six keepers, and I wished I had 10 spots!

So... keepers or no keepers?
 

boiker

Cyburbian
Messages
3,889
Points
26
Mastiff said:
Well, this is year #3, and aside from growing to 14 from 12, It's very close to the same. Jeff "Pimp Dawg" left... and one other team doesn't seem to be around. But out of 12, ten teams are back.

I think there will be some drops and adds, but even if it happens, when you "get" a team, you inherit the former years players. If there aren't 3 players worth keeping, well, I can't imagine that happening. I'm in a 14 team league with six keepers, and I wished I had 10 spots!

So... keepers or no keepers?
keepers.. will work
 

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
9,945
Points
40
My vote is still for 3 keepers, as I posted above.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top