• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Ken & Barbie

Queen B

Cyburbian
So I just hear that Ken & Barbie are breaking up.
What the @%&k is up with that?
They said they are going to cover it on the evening news.
Again I say, what the.....

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well... the Doll world is now following the real world.

She is leaving him for another guy.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
I knew it. Ken is gay. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
You might be correct because the article ends with, "So where does that leave Ken? Said Arons: "He will head for other waves." ;-)

nerudite

Cyburbian
43 years without a proposal and uh.... Ken is missing something below. I'm surprised Barbie made it this long with breaking off the relationship. ;)

ludes98

Cyburbian
Too funny that this ended up posted today, because some fellow co-workers were debating this issue as a sign of the times and messages to children.

Does anyone think that this sends the wrong message to kids?

otterpop

Cyburbian
Ken dolls have been the source of problems between men and women for over 40 years. Parents give little girls Ken dolls and then they grow up to think men are to be dressed and manipulated according to their whims. Plus Ken dresses like a gay guy.

There has been a push for a more realistic Barbie, how about a more realistic Ken? First off, call him Kenny or Cooter. Give him accessories like a big screen TV and a bass boat. How about a place for Ken to hang out with his buds - a strip joint where Skipper can shake her money maker. As far as clothes, Ken needs a pair of jeans, a wife-beater t-shirt, a truckers cap, faded, stinky sneakers and old BVDs with the elastic gone. Make Ken look more like an American male - gone is his "six-pack" and give him a six-pack and a beer belly.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Otterpop... LMAO! :-D
Ludes... what wrong message? people can make mistakes and sometimes they get divorced? Anyways... who cares? It'll be sold separately so Mattel can make more money! Now they'll make a set including a divorce court with judge and all!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
otterpop said:
There has been a push for a more realistic Barbie, how about a more realistic Ken? First off, call him Kenny or Cooter. Give him accessories like a big screen TV and a bass boat. How about a place for Ken to hang out with his buds - a strip joint where Skipper can shake her money maker. As far as clothes, Ken needs a pair of jeans, a wife-beater t-shirt, a truckers cap, faded, stinky sneakers and old BVDs with the elastic gone. Make Ken look more like an American male - gone is his "six-pack" and give him a six-pack and a beer belly.

LMFAO, I second what otterpop just said.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Showing my age here, but I can't imagine Barbie without Ken! Although GI Joe was always a good substitute.
My favorite was "Mod Hair Ken..." he came with stick-on sideburns, moustaches, beards, etc.
(OK, I was a 60's child!) :)

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
43 years without a proposal and uh.... Ken is missing something below. I'm surprised Barbie made it this long with breaking off the relationship. ;)
That is not the only thing he broke off. Have you ever pulled Ken's pants off? There is nothing there, no package, or so I am told. Barbie just got sick of not having access to the plumbing. Wonder if Ken is really confused with his/her indentity?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
Oh, now I see what ludes98 meant with the "worng message to the kids" statement.
Just look at the image above. It gives young girls a completly wrong image of the men they should later date when they're women! See, that's why women complain that all the guys they meet are gay! They've been misseducated by Barbie! :-D

Habanero

Cyburbian
Barbie and Ken were married, I remember it clearly- I got the family barbie set and they both had gold bands painted on.. .and baby barbies too! That little hussie!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
otterpop said:
I believe this would be known as "NASCAR Ken" or "Hooters Ken"???

el Guapo

Capitalist
nerudite said:

Dear, when you are getting the milk for free why would you buy the cow? ;)

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
this isn't a huge shock...the worst pop culture shock was learning that Mr. Brady was a gay man. not that there is anything wrong with that