• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Kill someone, get a light sentence

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
A woman talking on her cell phone while drunk, hits another vehicle and kills the driver. The pregnant passenger is in a coma and the baby is now raised by relatives. The woman gets 30 days in jail, house arrest, and has to carry around a picture of the victim in his casket.

In my opinion, she should have a much longer sentence and have her license taken away for life, at a minimum.

AP BUTLER, Pa. - A woman who was drunk when she killed a man in a head-on collision must carry a photograph of the teacher in his coffin as part of her five years of probation, a judge ruled.

Jennifer Langston pleaded guilty in September to vehiclular homicide, reckless endangerment and reckless driving.

Prosecutors said Langston was drunk and talking on a cell phone in June 2002 when she crossed the center line and hit a pickup truck carrying Glenn Clark and his pregnant wife, Annette. He died, his wife remains in a coma and their son, born by Caesarean section five months after the crash, is being raised by relatives.

A judge sentenced Langston to 30 days in jail, plus house arrest and probation, and ordered her to carry a picture of Glenn Clark.

But when Clark's mother provided the photo of Clark in a casket, Langston, 27, objected. Her attorney said the "spirit of the agreement" was that the photo be of Clark when he was alive.

"This makes no sense to me. Requiring Jennifer to carry a picture like that defeats the whole purpose if the purpose is to look and remember," said Langston's attorney, Michael Sherman. "Who in their right mind will look at such a picture?"

Butler County Judge George Hancher ruled Tuesday that Langston would have to carry the coffin photo.

Clark's mother, Rosellen Moller, has been unapologetic.

"That's where she put him — in a casket. That's what she did for him. I'd just shut my mouth if I was her," Moller said.

The Irish One

This crap makes me sick! There is no excuse for this and I'm sure it wasn't the first time she went driving intoxicated. If you got away with it once, consider yourself lucky and don't ever do it again because you shouldn't have done it in the first place and something tragic will eventually happen.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I agree that the sentence should have been tougher. But I also like the creative sentencing (the picture part). Of course, she doesn't have to look at it... but hopefully it will make her think of what she's done. Of course rotting in a cell for several years would have given her plenty of time to think about it as well...

plankton

Cyburbian
Who's got room in prison these days for such petty offenses as vehicular homicide when poor drug users are so much more deserved of the heavy sentences.

I do like the creative sentencing, but 30 days, c'mon.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
SlaveToTheGrind said:
A woman talking on her cell phone while drunk, hits another vehicle and kills the driver. The pregnant passenger is in a coma and the baby is now raised by relatives. The woman gets 30 days in jail, house arrest, and has to carry around a picture of the victim in his casket.

How much you wanna' bet if it was a man, he'd be thrown in jail and left to rot for a decade?

I absolutely cannot believe that you can be convicted of HOMICIDE and get 30 days. So unbelievably sad, and a sad reflection on our justice system.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I can sometimes see where an accident causing a fatality is tragic, but the person causing the accident may not deserve a harsh sentence. That should never apply when a person under the influence of drugs or alcohol causes an accident. Their decision to drink and then drive was deliberate, and the resulting death is a homicide. This woman got lucky, and the justice system failed the victems.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Solipsa said:
what force is keeping her from "accidentally" losing the picture?

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Until there are stricter laws concerning the use of cell-phones in cars - this kind of thing is going to occur with much greater frequency over the next few years.

Personally, I'd like to see at least a 20 year sentence handed down to anyone who causes a traffic accident that involves a fatility while using their cell phone.

And lets crack down on these cell-phone companies and their inane marketing programs that encourage irresponsible cell phone use. Nothing I'd like to see more than cell phone ads pulled from the airwaves like cigarette ads during the 1960s.

Maybe if these retards don't see, they won't buy.