• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

killing the Geography requirement in my town

The Irish One

It seems that the school district in my area is considering doing away with the Geography requirement for HS students. This sucks. That's all I have to say about that.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I hope they will replace it with something equally important, like ebonics, diversity training, or left-leaning liberal indoctrination.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
ya know i found out something intresting both at the AAG and via my best friend-the Military Acad. dont teach geography!?!

Hello if your the guy/girl in charge of leading those troops into battle dont you think its wise to know SOMETHING about the physical environs around you?

I went to college with a girl that did not know NC was not its own country, she thought the whole US was North Carolina. helloooooo earth to idiots come in idiots.

sheesh

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Many Americans have no idea where Cities, countries, etc are already. If anything we need more geography not less. Ask the average American adult to identify where Iraq is on a globe with no labels and I bet 1/2 can't do it.

didn't american high schoolers just totally blow the national geographic geograpny quiz? sigh. this totally sucks.

kms

Cyburbian
Someone might want to check the state academic standards. They are on-line for PA. Anyway, someone may be surprised to learn that geography is required by the state.

I check our standards frequently to make sure the kids' school is meeting or hopefully exceeding the requirements.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I don't know what to feel about this. Obviously its a shame, but these kids weren't learning real geography anyway.

Picking out a city on a map is not geography. Learning about the people who live in theat dot on the map, their cultures, climates, etc is geography.

The Irish One

Learning about the people who live in theat dot on the map, their cultures, climates, etc is geography.
Very true, I know all about the Geography teacher at the High School. He's quite the informed Cultural Geographer. This totally sucks!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Since the schools are so lame with it. I do it with my sons at home. Also... certain literature, history, and some science. Oregon is having huge budget troubles, so the first people they screw is the kids... by cutting the school year by 3 weeks.

Fine... I can teach them. And my new wife is even better at it.

prudence

Cyburbian
Mastiff -

There should be more parents like you out there. To most parents, school is subsidized day care and not a learning environment.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Why thank you...

And truthfully, my 10 year old would never have been able to read Lord of the Rings from the education he was getting.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
That is such a shame that they are going to drop Geography. Do the educators not realize that without Geography, how are the students ever going to understand the world news or the environment around them? Hello. What stupid people!

kms

Cyburbian
I agree with Mastiff. We keep maps posted on the wall near the kitchen, and the kids go to it anytime they have a question about a place, news story, etc. Before we find the place in question, they have to place one hand on our location on the map.

I think that teaching the kids at home and sending them to school should complement each other.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
You are lucky that Geography lasted this long.

Where I come from, Geography and History were eliminated years ago for "Social Studies".

Oh, and Sex Ed Classes.

Result: Little Johnny and Little Susie know all about birth control in the 6th grade but think Central American means Kansas

Bucky alum

Don't knock Sex Ed

My mother who is a teacher is possibly looking at being out of a job as the district she is teaching in is looking to cut out Home Economicsin Middle School and replace it with more science and math. Many of you may say "Yeah!!" I used to say that as well. Now the more I think about it, I really disagree.

Now here is my reasoning behind why her program should stay. Education of students, especially middle-school aged children should be quite broad, so that children can learn who and what they enjoy. School should not focus on the 50% of students who got to college and the 25% that graduate. They should be for all 100% students. To get through life, you need a few basic skills; cooking, financial responsibilty, education about birth control (unless you want to be a dad for 9 kids from 7 mothers) and GED level reading and math skills which will help you in almost every job.
My mother teaches home ec, which includes, cooking, sewing, family values, and sexual education. She is teaching these kids for approximately 1/3 of the year for each of the three years in middle school. The other 1/3 blocks are for Shop, and computer training (i believe). She takes these kids to the grocery store once to teach them how to shop based on what the recipe calls for, so you don't have waste, how to make a food budget. To me these are real world items that the majority of the kids need. Sex ed is needed and is proof that it works as kids while having sex at the highest levels in the last 50 years the rate of teen pregnancy is quite low, which has a correlation with earning power in the future.

So what am I saying. I wouldn't knock out the Home Ec's the shop classes of the world for more science and math but I'd get rid of the sensitivy classes and all the time spent on diversity.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Low level geography education is quite serious and quite global, we also have problems here with National History and Geography. It's a shame that many people don't realize the importance of History and Geography. It's not necesary that they know where Tuvalu is, but they at least have to know and recognize their country in a world map and know some basics of it.

Chile is quite small (compared to USA) but you can still find jerks that don't know basics of important places. Getting a little off topic, in Chile our edjukasinal system is so great that 80% of the population can read and write, but they can't understand what they're reading.

PS: I also heard that Harvard doesn't teach geography... (or very little) Many say: So what?, The problem is that a lot of policy makers and presidents come out of that very distinguished university... That can be big problem.

Oregon is having huge budget troubles, so the first people they screw is the kids... by cutting the school year by 3 weeks.
I hope those problems are VERY HUGE, cause sacrifying education would be the last thing that could come to my mind... It has quite a long term effect and quite harmfull.