• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Kiwis????

H

Cyburbian
Okay, JNL (or others) I have just one question…. Tonight I ate some kiwis and was not sure how the proper way to eat them was. Do you completely peal them with a knife? Or do you just cut them in fourths and take big bites out of them?

I tried to peal and it was a pain so I did the later. What is correct? How do you eat them?

JNL

Cyburbian
Kiwifruit eating etiquette, lesson 1

We call them kiwifruit here, to differentiate from the kiwi which is our endangered flightless national bird. So I hope you were eating a kiwfruit H not a kiwi :-D

General practice is to cut it in half and scoop the insides out with a teaspoon, eating as you go. Shoudl be ripe enough that you can easily scoop. However if you are using them in a fruit salad or as decoration, then you would likely peel them first, then slice.

Someone developed a special kiwifruit knife/spoon thingy that had a serrated edge so you could cut then scoop with one utensil! How about that eh! But I don't think it sold too well.

I don't usually eat the furry skin, but there are new varieties being developed that are much less hairy and better for eating skin-on. There is a gold flesh variety that is sweeter than normal and low-fuzz but I like the tangy flavour of the good old-fashioned green flesh kind.

That said, you can eat them how you want really!

SGB

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Someone developed a special kiwifruit knife/spoon thingy that had a serrated edge so you could cut then scoop with one utensil! How about that eh! But I don't think it sold too well.
A grapefruit spoon (found at most kitchen stores) may just do the trick! :-D

tsc

Cyburbian
JNL said:
also known as a grapefruit spoon....not to be confused with a KFC spork

nerudite

Cyburbian
JNL said:
General practice is to cut it in half and scoop the insides out with a teaspoon, eating as you go. Shoudl be ripe enough that you can easily scoop.
Glad to know that I have been using the accepted method. ;)

Budgie

Cyburbian
Here's what I know about kiwis:

Rex he was a Texan out of New Orleans and he traveled with the carnival shows
Ran bumper cars, sucked cheap cigars and he candied up his nose
He got wind of the big brown beaver, so he thought he'd take himself a peak
But the beaver was quick, grabbed him by the kiwis and he ain't pissed for a week.