• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Krispy Kreme celebrates 67 years

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
As seen in the Louisville Courier-Journal:
http://www.louisvillescene.com/2004/07/13/dining_krispykreme.html

Highlights from the article:

It was on July 13, 67 years ago, that the scrumptiously delicious, melt-in-your mouth confection called the Krispy Kreme doughnut came into being. Now it's an American food fetish that claims sports and entertainment figures among its most devoted fans, (not to mention a few Cyburbians)

who can pass the store ..... without checking for the "Hot Now" sign?

The stock (KKD on the New York Stock Exchange) went public in April 2000 at $5.25, and now trades around $18.65 a share.

Krispy Kreme's story begins in 1933, when Vernon Carver Rudolph, who would later found the company, bought a doughnut shop from a French baker in Paducah, Ky., acquiring a secret, yeast-raised doughnut recipe.

Today, the company has 380 stores in 44 states and Canada, Mexico, Australia and Britain.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Paducah, Ky? I always thought that the company was founded in Winston-Salem, NC. Oh well, you learn something new every day....No matter how trivial it is.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Q. How do you measure the starting point ?

from the article:
Winston-Salem, where the first doughnuts brand-named Krispy Kreme were made on July 13, 1937.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I wonder if I am still wanted in Paducah? I drove off with a tank of gas by mistake a couple of years ago. Funny thing was, there was a cop in the store flirting with the clerk at the time. Got a tank of gas and a bottle of water, went to pay and she said $1.29. I paid her without thinking and was up the road about 50 miles before I thought about it.

mgk920

Cyburbian
And we here in Northeast Wisconsin are about to experience it :) . Krispy Kreme is building a 'factory' outlet here in the Appleton area, at College Av (WI 125)/Bluemound Rd, just 'in' from US 41. It is expected to open in about a month and, ironically, is being built on the site of a former commercial bakery (a Rich's Products plant that was closed in the 1990s) that did make doughnuts.

The neon sign is already flickering in my mind. :cool:

Mike

mgk920 said:
Krispy Kreme is building a 'factory' outlet here in the Appleton area,
How exactly would a KK factory outlet be different from a regular restaurant? they only sell by the dozen?

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
What happens is that KK enters into distribution agreements with gas stations for example...so KK makes the donuts daily and delivers them for resale. Unfortunatally...the gas station does not have a Hot Light. :-\

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
We just lost another Krispy Kreme store. 10 years ago, we had probably at least a 1/2 dozen or so, and now there's one. Lost our Dunkies, too. Darn low-carb diets. |-) Grocery store donuts just aren't the same.

mgk920

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
How exactly would a KK factory outlet be different from a regular restaurant? they only sell by the dozen?
Their 'factory' (my term, BTW) stores are where they actually bake their doughnuts, to be distributed to everywhere else where their doughnuts are sold, in addition to on-site sales. The building is about the size of a normal fast-food joint. These are where the 'HOT DOUGHNUTS NOW' signs are found.

They use a large multi-stage machine where pre-measured dry and liquid ingredients are fed in at one end and the finished doughnuts are removed and sold (or boxed for sale elsewhere) at the other end. It is pretty interesting to watch. :)

Mike