• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Krispy Kreme Hysteria

I just heard a rumor that the DOT had temporarily shut down the 6 day old new Krispy Kreme restaurant in Latham, NY because the stacking lane was extending out the parking lot on to Route 7. Jesus people. They're only donuts! Granted, deliciously warm donuts, but, really, you're going to wait 30 minutes for a dozen damn donuts?

Floridays

Cyburbian
My family lives in Oklahoma City...and I heard that when the Krispy Kreme place first opened there a few years ago, people started camping out the night before opening day. I mean, they actually SPENT THE NIGHT in a parking lot and/or lined up in front of the door. Yeah, they're good...but not THAT good!

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Obviously, their marketing people are doing an incredible job of HYPE...

I don't get it either. Personally, I'd rather have chocolate chip cookies. :p

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Several opened here a number of years ago to a huge flurry of excitement. Only problem is, we also have several locals whose donuts are renowned. The locals are all still around, and a few of the Krispy Kremes have closed...

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Beats Me!

Same phenomena here in Colorado, except it manifested itself next to a freeway off-ramp!

Get real, they're just lard n' sugar....

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Floridays said:
(snip)..they actually SPENT THE NIGHT in a parking lot and/or lined up in front of the door. Yeah, they're good...but not THAT good!

hahahahahahahahahahahahah, what fools!

It's going to taste the same whether you get it on the first day or three weeks from now.

As for the stacking, don't these places have parking lots. I mean, geesh, park and go into the store!

A Krispy Kreme was dissauded from opening here because the location would have caused havoc with the adjacent traffic.

Cars are a pain-in-@ss!

Floridays said:
people started camping out the night before opening day. I mean, they actually SPENT THE NIGHT in a parking lot and/or lined up in front of the door.

We seriously had jack asses spend the WEEKEND! Friday night to Tuesday morning!!!! In SUB FREEZING upstate new york winter! The Krispy Kreme people have GOT to be eating this up.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Reminds me of the Coors/Strohs phenomenon of the 70's. Used to be you couldn't buy Strohs west of the Mississipi river and couldn't buy Coors east of it. Folks from both sides of the country would make these journeys to fill up the trunk of their car with cases of Strohs/Coors and charge exhorbitant prices on the other side to suckers (like me) who were willing to fork it over for the taste sensation of a lifetime. The moral of the story is - there is no product so desirable as the one you cannot readily get. Krispy Kreme glazed donuts are yummy but nowhere near as good as the hype surrounding them would have you believing. A few months after KK comes to town reality will dawn on everyone in town that, gosh, they're just glazed donuts.....

Jen

Cyburbian
Reminds me of the beanie baby and trading cardcraze, I don't get it, what is so special about KK? My kids would probably love it! :-\

H

Cyburbian
Maister said:
The moral of the story is - there is no product so desirable as the one you cannot readily get.

True. That is most likely why I stop at White Castle EVERY TIME I am in the midwest, and people there think of it as just another hamburger place. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...White Castle :p

Floridays

Cyburbian
H said:
True. That is most likely why I stop at White Castle EVERY TIME I am in the midwest, and people there think of it as just another hamburger place. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...White Castle :p

Ahhh...have been to White Castle in Chicago a few times. We'd always buy a bag o' burgers on our walk to Wrigley Field for the Cubbies game.
What's your stance on White Castle vs. Krystal?

BKM

Cyburbian
I drove on one of those Coors voyages once with some friends-just for the road trip, because I didn't even like beer back then (weird, I know. And, thanks to Sierra Nevada Christmas Ale, I have somewhat seen the light :)

Maister said:
Reminds me of the Coors/Strohs phenomenon of the 70's.
And that reminds me of all the Geneseo students from downstate NY that had to bring cases of Genesee Beer home to their dads.

H

Cyburbian
Floridays said:
Ahhh...have been to White Castle in Chicago a few times. We'd always buy a bag o' burgers on our walk to Wrigley Field for the Cubbies game.
What's your stance on White Castle vs. Krystal?

I have to go with the Northern arsenal WC. But, again, that is probably becuase I cant get WC. But back on topic, there are plenty of Kryspy Kremes in the South, but I dont even like donuts :-S

Cardinal

Cyburbian
While I love most things that come out of a bakery I will pass on Krispy Kremes. I just don't like them at all. Dunkin' Donuts is better. They don't hold a candle to Tim Horton's, which are still unfit to reside in the presence of the donuts from a little shop in Thermopolis, Wyoming.

donk

Cyburbian
This is a Tim hortons on a regular day.

9 spaces on site, then it queues down the street for 6-8 spaces, then it turns a corner onto an arterial road.

173tims1-med.jpg

173tim2-med.jpg

I'll post a pic shortly of a sign in Fredericton for a Tim's

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'll eat a donut once in a long while, except for glazed, they're too sweet. So Krispie Kreme has no hold over me. Give me a good bagel any time; yum..

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
That krispy kreme phenomena is actually common with openings in new locales. I dont like sweets, so I dont get it.

Downtown, sorry to say but the community prolly didnt do its homework, they should have know this would happen in the short term ans instead of closing them down, should have required an irrevocable cash bond to pay for traffic control police overtime.

[ot]My investment club did very well timing its Krispy Kreme purchase...[/ot]

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Krispy Kreme opened a mile down the road from me last year. The traffic and lines were crazy for about a month but then died down. People showed up from across the country like it was Woodstock. I was let down by the Krispy Kreme mystique, and I have a feeling the rest of the state has been too, although I haven't read anything about their sales levels. Dunkin Donuts is almost a cultural institution here and I don't see KK as a serious competitor.

ludes98

Cyburbian
I used to bring back a box of KK when I visited relatives in Alabama. KK has since opened here and the same hysteria occurred. I am a fan, but I only eat them one or two times a year. The hysteria is temporary. Once the bakery stores are in and things settle down, look for them at convenience stores and groceries, because now they sell them everywhere here.

Hceux

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Tim Hortons may be coming to southern New England as they buy out the bankrupt Bess Eaton chain.

Seabishop, what was the Bess Eaton chain?

And for everyone else, has it ever occurred to any of you that they seem to place a donut shop (Tim Hortons, KK, DD, etc) near centres of getting your driver license renewed? It seems to be a strategic thing to do that because people always drive a bit crazy around Tim Hortons (line-ups onto the street out of the parking lot, crossing three lanes to go from the parking lot to a left-turning lane, etc). I think it's a way to weed out the young ones from getting their driver license...

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Hceux said:
Seabishop, what was the Bess Eaton chain?

A coffee & donut chain in RI, MA & CT - they kind of suck and are best known for "controversially" printing Bible quotes on their take-out cups.

JNL

Cyburbian
Crazy!

Pretty much the only thing people queue for here is tickets to rugby games. Queueing overnight for a donut??? I don't get it.

donk

Cyburbian
As promised, here is the sign at a tim's in Fredericton. It is at one of the City's busiest intersections.

173timsignmin-med.jpg