• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Labron James

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Ok i dont normaly keep up with sports but this story has held my attention for some time now

Labron James

I have my own very decided ideas about him, whos to blame for the messes hes getting into, where his life will go etc.

But i want other folks ideas as well

"talk amoungst yourselves" *best jewish mother voice*

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
The courts today said the Ohio State Athletic Assn can only suspend him for 2 games.

Thought this was appropriate. I just think the whole thing is such a mess. This poor kid has no future outside of basketball. What was that movie about basketball, i think denzel was the kid's dad - his name was Jesus? Such a good movie.

Jeff

Cyburbian
You're just jealous cause he drives an H2 to high school....admit it.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
i feel bad for the kid

i fear 1) he will get hurt his first few years in the NBA or get mixed up with crime *why does it seem sports stars cant stay out of the way of the law?*
2) he will end up with no education and broke in a few years

Habanero

Cyburbian
I think it's because of free will and that just because people have money doesn't give them class. I don't feel too bad for people who waste good oppourtunities, if he ends up broke with no education he can apply for federal grants and loans and go to school like other people.

Small edit: his mother bought the H2 for him- doesn't look like they're hurting for money.

Habanero

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
I thought the big deal was that someone gave the H2 to his mom to give to him.
From what I read, the little Ohio commision did their research and she is the legal owner of the car. She showed the payment book and all the bank statements showing it's hers.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
she says she bought it-but she only makes 30 some thousand and dont they live in Gov low income housing? Seems i read that some where

The kid has a golden chance to do something with his life-and shockingly good grades 3.5? too bad hes said he wont go to college.

Repo Man

Cyburbian

Small edit: his mother bought the H2 for him- doesn't look like they're hurting for money. [/B]

His mother boght him the h2 on a loan based on his potential earnings, not with any family money. From what I have heard, they are pretty poor. That being said, the only reason people are looking so closely is because he is probably the most popular high school athlete ever. If it was some rich white kid in the suburbs, nobody would even pay attention. Hell, I went to high school with people who got lexuses for their 16th birthday.

Habanero

Cyburbian
That's simple economics: why go to school when you can start making millions of dollars? That actually makes sense-

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
TexasPlanner said:
That's simple economics: why go to school when you can start making millions of dollars? That actually makes sense-
Sure...in the short term. I think he's really huring himself by not going to college.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
hehe this is where im old fashion (hears Guap faint)
i grew up in a home where school always came first. Always need a fall back. But thats just the conservative roots showing (now she KNOWS Guap has fainted, someone call 911 please)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:

Sure...in the short term. I think he's really huring himself by not going to college.
I disagree. If you can go into the pros and make millions of dollars, why would you go to college and risk the chance of getting hurt? College will always be there, basketball may not be. He should take the money, play in the NBA and if his career ends, he has the money to go to college if he wants. From what I understand he is a pretty smart kid. What I make in a year, this kid will make in on game. How can you fault him for that?

It shows how pervasive the sports industry is. Young kids can aspire to make millions of dollars before they reach the ripe old age of 25 by relying on just their athleticism. Forget education or doing something more honorable with your life like being a city planner. ;)

Jeff

Cyburbian
You know what, I can't fault the kid. When we were growing up we were all told, study hard so you can get a good job and make lots of money.

Am I wrong??

This kid is not going to have to study hard, sit through stupid general education classes such as philosophy, worry about exams, etc.

He's got it made. He is going to make more money in a year than you and I will most likely make in a lifetime. And isn't that what it's all about...... the BLING BLING !! ;)

....and just think of all the chicks.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I think in the NBA you are judged by how many Play Station II's you cram into your SUV.

I wish I had that stuff when I was a kid on road trips. But No, I get stuck with crapy games like "license plate bingo" and "torment your little brother until he cries"

Jeff

Cyburbian
After reading an article in the paper about this kid last night, I realized that the real issue hear is:

Why are our tax dollars paying to put this kid and his femily up in govt housing when she can get approved for a $50K car loan. She can't get a mortgage?? I guess not now.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I understand the argument that if he has the talent now, why not let him play, and make his millions. But personally, I think this is bordering on exploitation - the pressure on this kid to go out and make money and perform is immense. And I do have a bit of problem in sending a boy out to play a man's game - no matter how talented he is.

I bet within 5 years, this kid is not playing in the NBA - or if he is, it'll be as a bit player.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Boy playing a man's game??

Try men playing a boy's game. I just watched 100+ of my closest friends be sent off to war Monday night, some of them maybe 6 months older than this guy. I don't want to hear about any exploitation. He is living every guys dream...to play a game and get paid to do it.

He knows exactly what he is doing, what he is getting himself into, etc.

If he goes #1 int he draft he is going to get $12 million for 1 year. How the hell could you pass that up? Don't tell me you wouldn't.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I worry your right Tran, the pressure has to be unspeakable-hes sooo young. What if he cracks? Seems hes never had the chance to be a teenager, nor will he be a "young man"

oh the temptation will be soooo strong

I was watching PTI last night (I love Tony Kornheiser!) and he and mike were talking about whether or not Lebron should be allowed to play. Both agreed that he should, but Tony's whole point was that all of the adults in this poor kid's life are using him as a cash cow, and none are really looking out for this kid's true best interest. His mom couldn't have waited 2 more months, until the end of the season to buy this car for him?

I'm sort of torn on this issue.....what makes Labron any different than a child actor or musician? But on the other hand, I also think its borderline exploitation. At any rate, it doesn't affect my daily life so I have to shrug my shoulders and say "oh well."

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I bet within 5 years, this kid is not playing in the NBA - or if he is, it'll be as a bit player. [/B]

I don't know about that. It seems like the really good High School players can make the transition. Look at Kobe Bryant. He skipped college and he is one of the best players in the NBA. Same with Kevin Garnett and Tracy McGrady. From what I have seen/heard this kid is really good.

Basically college is a joke for most NBA bound players anyhow. How many actually finish? If Labron went to college, he would be there for a year and enter the draft next year. Plus in college you have the university and tv stations making millions of players who don't get paid a dime, which is in my opinion is reason enough to skip college.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
KMateja said:
adults in this poor kid's life are using him as a cash cow, and none are really looking out for this kid's true best interest. His mom couldn't have waited 2 more months, until the end of the season to buy this car for him?
That's the exploitation I'm talking about. Okay - all sports are basically "boy's" games - but I still have a problem throwing this kid out there. But yeah, I guess it's his life, and it's better to be playing a game than in a potential war.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:

That's the exploitation I'm talking about. Okay - all sports are basically "boy's" games - but I still have a problem throwing this kid out there. But yeah, I guess it's his life, and it's better to be playing a game than in a potential war.
I agree that he is being exploited. Everyone wants a piece of this kid and nobody will ever tell him "no" including his mom, because they don't want to be cut off from the money train that he will soon have. Not one of these people is looking out for what is best for Labron, just what is best for them.

Tom R

Cyburbian
Lebron

I live in Akron. Everyone I talk to say's he'd be a fool not to go pro and get it while he can. I just hope he can heep his head together. The world doesn't need another Mike Tyson.

Re: Lebron

Tom R said:
I live in Akron. Everyone I talk to say's he'd be a fool not to go pro and get it while he can. I just hope he can heep his head together. The world doesn't need another Mike Tyson.
I think Labron's GPA excludes him from being another Mike Tyson.

prudence

Cyburbian
Let kids try their luck at pro sports. Who among us didn't dream of that life. I am sure some of us were close, but fate intervenes...injuries, whatever...

The rest of the world should not treat athletes different, though. When they are on the wrong side of the law, the judges should show them that. Athletes are notorious few getting legal "breaks" that you or I would never see. And is Winona Rider any different. Even Stacy Keatch and Tim Allen spent time behind bars for cocaine. Remember Nate Newton and his 600 lbs. of pot travelling down the highway? Why do NFL players get 3, 4, even 5 chances with drugs.

If you have a charmed life, fine. But if you end up like MC Hammer, that's fine too. I just don't want to hear about it.

Habanero

Cyburbian
prudence said:

If you have a charmed life, fine. But if you end up like MC Hammer, that's fine too. I just don't want to hear about it.
You mean no "Surreal *get a* Life"? Damn..

The problem I have is if they are in goverment housing taxes help pay for that and nonone is going to get a kickback from his millions. Otherwise, let him do what he wants- free will and freedom of choice. I don't think anyone can really judge him and this decision, and who's to say he can't fall back on going to college?

Tom R

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Lebron

Planderella said:

I think Labron's GPA excludes him from being another Mike Tyson.
I hope you're right. Lebron has another advantage, family. That is what concerns me about the Hummer his mother gave him. I hope he get the guidance he needs and is not just considered a money cow..