• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Lady Driven... is that a good thing?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Okay, so I'm looking through the classifieds for a used car as Elmo's kicked the bucket (again!) last week. So quite a few of these ads say "lady driven". I'm not sure why this would be a selling point. If anything, I think that the men I've known have maintained their vehicles better than women (usually the men have been more anal retentive about regular tune ups, oil changes, etc.). So what is the particular advantage to a 'lady driven' car? Am I missing something?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Most guys I know do tend to maintain their cars but they also drive agressively which can cause wear and tear.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Lady driven is bad news....

No oil changes, turned off with AC running, etc.

I'd never buy my wifes car from her.

SGB said:
Errr, that's a bad thing? (Serious question)

From what I was told, it puts stress on your engine, particularly when you start the vehicle.

BTW, I'm a chick who takes care of her vehicles. :)

Habanero

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Hey I take care of my car too!

Ditto that, although I drive a standard and I do drive my car very hard. But then again, I'd rather be referred to as a woman driver- I'm hardly a lady when I drive. :)

H

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:

I tend to agree. My wife hits curbs, forgets oil changes, and that thing would never get waxed if it wasn’t for me (have fun with that line ;)).

I am not advocating that all men take car of their cars, but just stating the “lady driven” doesn’t mean much.

tsc

Cyburbian
ditto... I take care of my cars...but also drive like a bat outta ...on 2 wheels...

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
The term "lady driven" would be better used in singles chat rooms. What woman wouldn't want a guy who has already been tamed and domesticated to a woman's standards?

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
It's either taken to mean "driven gently, slowly, to the grocery store and back, and the hairdresser and back", or is a euphemism for "driven as fast as possible, engine revved at all stoplights, coffee stains on carpet, clutch worn"....oh, wait, that was my old car....Depends on the kind of car. Is it a four-door boat, with the radio tuned to something soothing? Or is it a little manual hatch, with a Korn CD stuck in the dash?

Basically, in not so many words, it's almost meaningless.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:

Am I marrying your wife? ;)
My fiancee does the same things to her car. I don't even really like the thing, but it sometimes drives me nuts to see her treat it that way.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Based on my experience, and the cars of my male and female friends:

Male driven: regular preventative maintenance, often meticulous about interior and exterior cleanliness BUT often aggressively driven, more long road miles, and more likely repaired collision damage if the insurance industry is to be believed. Of course, work vehicles are the exception.

Female driven: gently driven BUT little preventative maintenance (problems are fixed when their symptoms show), might be superficially clean but seldom waxed or detailed.

If I had my choice, I'd buy a car from a male senior citizen. Thing is, I'd really never be in the market for a Buick or Ford Crown Victoria.