• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Lake shore properties & accessory structures

Has anyone come across or developed accessory structure standards for lake shore lots? Single Family detached.
We only allow one detached accessory structure; many lake properties want a boathouse/lift type structure near the water, and a separate garage for their car/lawnmower, etc. Most homes constructed in the early 20th century, long before accessory structure regulations, setbacks, lot coverage issues, etc. Therefore, many of the properties are non-conforming.

Anyone out there that can provide a link or text or example or insight into this will receive my warmest regards and a proclamation of appreciation.

Thanks

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Patrick

Stop by the introduction board and introduce yourself. Welcome and post often

donk

Cyburbian
Off the top of my head I'd look at the following places:

Municipality of Kawartha Lakes
Muskoka
Huron County
St. Clair Beach
Barrie

These are all in Ontario.

solarstar

Cyburbian
I'll be the first to admit that Florida is a whole different world than Minnesota, but we do have a lot of lakes and waterfront property. We require accessory structures to meet waterfront setbacks and ISR, without differentiating between garages, sheds, etc. and houses. The one exception is a boathouse and/or dock, which is permitted by Army Corp and/or DEP, and is only regulated by our comp plan. (Unfortunately, this strictness triggers a fair number of waterfront setback variance applications for the nonconforming lots.) We've had a recent problem of homeowners building decks on top of boathouses, and haven't figured out how to address that yet.

Rem

Cyburbian
Have a look here and select Download A to see how Lake Macquarie controls foreshore development. Foreshore development is seperately defined as:
foreshore development means a boatshed, jetty, slipway, boat ramp, in-ground swimming pool, inclinator, landscaping, barbeques or similar tructures.