• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Lancaster, California planner - an urban legend?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Found on the 'net.

The City of Lancaster in the Antelope Valley considered itself fortunate to have obtained such a talented, experienced, and successful City Planner. He was on the job for two years during one of the biggest job and population booms that the Antelope Valley had ever seen, but virtually all the programs he was working on never seemed to take shape. An Auto Mall, a Shopping Mall and an Industrial Center were lost to neighboring Palmdale. But still no one suspected that this talented planner was at fault, it was just bad luck. No one suspected a thing until a L.A. Sheriff’s Deputy, recently transferred from the County Jail to the Lancaster Sub Station, had a chance meeting with this man and recognized him as a former inmate. A background check revealed that the City Planner was really a convicted felon and con-artist who was systematically draining funds from the city treasury.
Urban legend or reality?

biscuit

Cyburbian
They're on to our scam. ;)

Really, how did this guy gain access to the town treasury. I can't even get a city car without signing over my first born.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I knew a guy that worked for Lancaster back in the late 80s/early 90s... one of the worst planners I have ever worked with. Hmmmm... now you are getting me to wonder if he has a record. :)