• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Software Land data management and project tracking

michaelskis

Cyburbian
What software do you use for data management and project tracking? I am thinking of something like a centralized database that be searchable with a pin number, address, case number, or a project name that can bring up files, details of the project, and possible GIS integration. Preferably something that have a good user interface and will create a record for each parcel and connect those within a particular subdivision or plat.

estromberg

Cyburbian
What do you have access to in the way of GIS now? This wouldn't be all that difficult to do.

estromberg

Cyburbian
I never got an answer to the original question. GIS integration requires some information about the GIS in place. This could be relatively easily done entirely in GIS using related tables and geodatabase attachments, however without knowing what the user has access to, I don't want to spend the time to type out a possibly impractical or wrongly scaled solution.

JLyon

Locally we use attachment linking to Cloud documents, in this case utilizing webmaps (if available), links to Plats, Ordinances, Site Review Documents.
Azure Cloud Storage is not pricey

notabigcitygirl

Cyburbian
Our jurisdiction uses Accela Civic Platform for tracking of building permits and entitlement cases. Time can be entered by all reviewing parties (including outside agencies), as well as documents and comments, approvals, etc.. Fees and payments are tracked as well. I believe it uses SQL to tie into our GIS for parcel data information, but is not fully integrated. It may be possible with Accela, but we do not have the capability. One can search by address, APN, permit number, entitlement number, business license number, business name, project name, etc.. I too would like to see a single comprehensive GIS-based permit tracking system, in order to have all data be address or GIS based, i.e. click on a parcel and see all permit, entitlement, and business license history. Check with San Clemente, California and Buena Park, California. I believe they may have a system that is integrated in the manner you are seeking.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
So our GIS dude just created a table of all the information I need and linked it to the locations and is migrating the data over from Excel (what we used to use) to it - don't buy software, have your GIS person do it!