• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Community development Land Grab - a documentary planners should watch

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Watched 'Land Grab' last weekend. Now that was interesting.
I watched it last night.

It's a very good thought exercise/case study of suspicion, legacy of failed promises and how that affects those that are genuinely trying to do better.

I spent alot of time on Detroit's East Side 20 years ago and still drive through the City regularly traveling to visit family.

It really hasn't gotten better for the vast majority of the City...actually its worse in many parts of the City.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I watched it last night.

It's a very good thought exercise/case study of suspicion, legacy of failed promises and how that affects those that are genuinely trying to do better.

I spent alot of time on Detroit's East Side 20 years ago and still drive through the City regularly traveling to visit family.

It really hasn't gotten better for the vast majority of the City...actually its worse in many parts of the City.

I watched Land Grab Saturday night too. Good God. Not exactly what I'd call a recruitment ad for Detroit. And some of those people. I'm convinced they don't give a damn about anything improving. They're not doing anything and they don't want anyone else to either. They'd rather be able to bitch about it. I will never understand the mentality of "he's taking OUR land". Uh no. No he's not. He's offering to BUY the land that no one else will. I'd have never been about to see it through like Hantz did. Even if it is scaled way back. This part of the thread could really be under the Community Development heading. God bless the people who actually try to get through to those folks.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Moderator note:

Good idea, MD.

This documentary is on Amazon Prime TV

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
their website http://www.landgrabfilm.com/

articles
Documentary explores Hantz Farms 'Land Grab' in Detroit
New film "Land Grab" examines Detroit's controversial Hantz Farms

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
My wife has Prime so I will watch it this week. I'm guessing this is not an evenly balanced documentary as most, if not all, are meant to portray one side and not the other. The other side is always the bad guy, right?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
My wife has Prime so I will watch it this week. I'm guessing this is not an evenly balanced documentary as most, if not all, are meant to portray one side and not the other. The other side is always the bad guy, right?
It certainly makes it clear that a certain population of rabble rousers exist to simply make noise for the sake of making noise without substantive solutions.

It does show that there is a legacy of "Big Solutions" to 'fix the problems' that ultimatly don't do anything and the automatic (maybe kneejerk) suspicion that generates.

As I see it, there were no good guys or bad guys, explicitly, but its a rumination on the old trope of 'if you make a stink, you should have a solution'.

I think it's a good documentary. It frustrated my wife though as she's not in the midst of our profession on a daily basis working.