• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Land Use Plan vs Future Land Use Plan

Streck

Cyburbian
What is the difference between a Land Use Plan and a Future Land Use Plan?

I think I remember that the Land Use Plan is merely an inventory of current land uses, but a Future Land Use Plan is a guide as to how the city foresees the potential uses of land to eventually be.

Is there a legal difference as to which one is part of the Comprehensive Plan?

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
I'm just a lowly intern, so you can take this with a grain of salt. I've seen both types of land use plans incorporated into the comprehensive plan under the land use/growth management chapter. Our city requires any new developments to comply with the Comprehensive Plan; so if you include a future land use plan in the comp plan, you should be able to require developers to conform with it. I think this varies a good bit from state to state though. Hope that helps!

Jeff

Cyburbian
The existing land use plan which you are referring to is more commonly known as a land use inventory or survey. Land Use Plan/Futue Land Use Plan = same thing. A plan for how the community wants to be developed.

You say tomato I say tomaaato type thing, you dig?