• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

landfills

jmf

Cyburbian
Does anyone have a landfill zone? If so, what is permitted in the zone? What requirements do you have in evaluating either new landfills or expansions to existing landfills?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
We have created a special zoning district named after the town next door... oh wait, no, we tell people to go to the town next door.

I can't recall ever seeing such a zoning classification. I did some research on the topic a number of years ago. From what I remember, siting is really first an issue of the underlying geology more so than land use.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
Sounds like a job for performance standards rather than a new zoning district. Be sure you understand what your state/province requires when writing the standards.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
The last city I worked for had 3 landfills. In wisconsin they are state regulated, and the state rules trump all local zoning authorities

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member