Landscaping for the city

Streck

Cyburbian
What are successful ways to improve landscaping in the city?

Do you have a Landscape ordinance?

Do you have a budget for city landscaping?

Do you fine owners that let their landscaping deteriorate?

How do you encourage/enforce landscaping improvements?

Is landscaping important to your city?

Other thoughts or experiences of other cities?

DVD

Cyburbian
Most places I've worked for or looked at have some kind of landscape design requirement for new construction. The hard part is keeping it up after construction. What are we going to do, go after the local McDonalds because they had five trees and now only have three?

One place I worked had new subdivisions do all kinds of landscaping along the streets then turned it over to the HOA to maintain. It actually worked fairly well. The neighborhoods just have to be big enough to bare the costs.

Streck

Cyburbian
Does your city identify places that could be enhanced with landscaping or places where utilities and minor or major eyesores could be screened with landscaping?

Are there programs in the planning field that encourage that sort of thing, including guidelines that have worked?

Does anyone's city have an active budget element to make improvements on or off city property?

Are donor programs to improve landscaping working?

DVD

Cyburbian
Does your city identify places that could be enhanced with landscaping or places where utilities and minor or major eyesores could be screened with landscaping?

Are there programs in the planning field that encourage that sort of thing, including guidelines that have worked?

Does anyone's city have an active budget element to make improvements on or off city property?

Are donor programs to improve landscaping working?
From what I see, the cities that are doing something about existing ugly conditions usually have some kind of landscaping master plan or corridor plans that address landscaping. The work is either limited to city property (ROW) or the plan requires any improvements in the property to include extra landscaping. Most of the time what I see is some window dressing at the "entrance" to the city and the residents, at least where I'm at, are not exactly happy about spending money to dress up an area they don't care about. It works better if you can make the new stuff useful like a small park with a dog run. The park would need a feature to draw people to it. If not you end up with what we have. A big grass area that the city maintains with a couple benches next to a major road and nowhere near a neighborhood so no one uses it.