• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Large-scale senior developments

tsc

Cyburbian
Does anyone have examples of large scale senior housing developments that includes some of the following:

Assisted Living/Nursing home
Independant Apartments
5+ story units
75-acre site
Part of existing campus, (school, hospital...)
Gated community
Community club houses
Suburban setting
Planned Village (has commercial component)
1000+ units

Dave F

Cyburbian
You might want to do an internet search for the Village at Penn State in State College, PA. It is a very large mixed-use senior community with multiple housing and care types. I reviewed some of its earlier plans. Despite the name, it is loosely connected with PSU.

H

Cyburbian
The Villages located just outside of The City of Ocala in Marion County in central Florida is a fairly recent ongoing successful example of large-scale senior development meeting most of your listed requirements.

I am sure the Marion County planning department as well as the Withlacoochee Regional Planning Council could tell you all about it.

Also Oxford Mississippi has a large retirement development that they push pretty hard to become a retirement community. I understand it is also successful and I believe it meets much of your criteria. It’s called Magnolia something…give Oxford a call.

Hope the leads are helpful.

Del Webb (now Pulte) has done a number of large scale senior developments in the southwest. Their Sun City Grand development seems to meet your requirements.

ludes98

Cyburbian
JSee said:
Del Webb (now Pulte) has done a number of large scale senior developments in the southwest. Their Sun City Grand development seems to meet your requirements.
If you are going there, don't forget Sun City and Sun City West!! They are still basically just suburb built subdivisions with amenities for seniors and CCR's for age restrictions.

As for a managed care type facility there is a fair sized one in Tempe that meets many of the criteria. You can find their website here. They also have a virtual tour of their planned expansion.

Your Criteria:
Assisted Living/Nursing home- Yes
Independant Apartments - Yes
5+ story units - No Current expansion project is 3 stories.
75-acre site - 43 acres approx.
Part of existing campus, (school, hospital...) Located within walking distance of regional hospital, community college, and 1 mile from regional mall.
Gated community - Yes
Community club houses - Yes
Suburban setting - Yes
Planned Village (has commercial component) - No, commercial within short travel and walking distance.
1000+ units - Not sure how many units they have.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Sun City in Georgetown, Texas. I don't know about the specifics of it, but I think it has a website and the City of Georgetown should have a lot of info about it.