• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

LASIK Eye Surgery - any advice?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I've got a consultation scheduled for next Tuesday in order to figure out how much to put into pre-tax flex spending.

Any of you have it done? Anything to watch out for? Help is appreciated. "LASIK For Dummies" isn't available on Amazon.com yet...

yay for you. i've only met people that have positive things to say about it, even though everyone knows a guy who knows a guy that something went wrong. i would go to someone who does this 8 million times a day and try to get recommendations from people. i would love to, but i'm a bad candidate because of my chronic dry eyes.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Wow, I wish we could put $$ into our flex account for that surgery! I'm not a canidate right now, but hopefully in a few years after more progress in the art, I will be able to participate. I do know a few people that have had the surgery, depending on how bad your eye sight is you have to sit there longer and hold very still. My Mom had the surgery done, she went from nearly blind as a bat (negative 14 if I remember correctly) to better than 20/20. 3 years later she's still 20/20 with no problems and she was one of the "I'm not sure you're a good canidate" canidates.

From what I hear it's a breeze, just make sure you don't rub your eyes after the surgery, and for the first day or two you may be a little blurry- but drink a few beers and you may counter act that side effect.

:)

Jeff

Cyburbian
Hey with my 20/15 vision there is no need for me to have it done, but several people at my work have had it done and can't believe that they can actually see :)

So I guess I would recommend it if you can afford it and can't see....

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
My correction is -8.25 and -7.75, so NO I CANT SEE!

In fact, if my glasses drop of the nightstand, I can't see where they went and end up doing my best "Velma" a-la-Scooby-Doo impersonation.

bturk said:

In fact, if my glasses drop of the nightstand, I can't see where they went and end up doing my best "Velma" a-la-Scooby-Doo impersonation.
hee! me too. -8.75 and -9.00.

Habanero

Cyburbian
KMateja said:

hee! me too. -8.75 and -9.00.
Kel, if you lose a contact in Denver find me and I can give you a spare (if you wear disposables)- that's my exact prescription!

JNL

Cyburbian
I think I fall into that 'probably not a candidate yet' category. My optometrist advised me to wait until the art is a little more developed (wise move I think TexasPlanner) and until we know more about the long-term effects. He also said to watch out for optometry practices that have shares in laser surgery practices - funny how they seem to make lots of referrals for surgery!

I have heard only good things from people who have had it done, although apparently sometimes they have to have it redone after a few years 'cos the improvement doesn't last. And apparently it feels like you've got sand in your eyes for a couple of days after the surgery.

I agree bturk, that's one of life's little challenges - how to find your glasses when you can't see to find them!

I just tried a search on google.com for 'eye laser surgery' and got lots of useful results.

Habanero

Cyburbian
JNL said:

I agree bturk, that's one of life's little challenges - how to find your glasses when you can't see to find them!
B]

ha ha- that's called getting your significant other to look for them!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
TexasPlanner said:

Yeah, gotta get me another one of those.

TexasPlanner said:

unless they're the one who has taken them because they find your blindness hysterical.

Habanero

Cyburbian
KMateja said:

unless they're the one who has taken them because they find your blindness hysterical.
ah yes, James frequently asks me to look at something because he doesn't understand not being able to see (blessed with 20/20).

There are actually two very cool things about being so blind though - i actually have a little bit of "microscopic" vision my eye dr. told me. that and when as a passenger driving down a brightly lit neon strip at night, it looks just like christmas lights with my glasses off!

BKM

Cyburbian
-2.25, -3.5 X100; 0.5, -2.00, -3.75 x77

I have a lot of astigmatism, so I don't think I'm a candidate yet.

One warning: I know a few people who have gone under the light but found their vision declining afterwards to the point they need glasses again. (I'm sure you know that, just something to keep in mind.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I'm glad I don't have to deal with this kind of stuff....I'm the lone member of my family that does not need any vision correction (both brothers, my sister, and both parents have glasses/contacts)...how I ended up the lone "visionary" I don't know (but it might explain why I'm a planner). :p

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Well I'm the last in my family (both sides) that does not have bi-focals, and all thatare over 40 have tri-focals, so I'd like to nip it in the bud if I can. I've done the internet research but wanted to hear what "real folks" have to say. Wait a sec... then why am I asking here!?
:)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
I never noticed the resemblance!

bturk said:

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
For those that can't read bitmap images...here's a jpg copy of mastiff's pic...(of course immediately after I post this, I notice Mastiff changed his attachment) :p

nevermind...

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Mastiff... wishes he had a copy of Photoshop at work, and does his best with Paint and Imaging...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mastiff said:
Mastiff... wishes he had a copy of Photoshop at work, and does his best with Paint and Imaging...
HEE! It makes an interesting avatar too!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Had the consult this morning. I'm a candidate but have 2 hold ups:

1. Can't get past the corneal cutting.

2. Was quoted $3,500. Even with pretax $ thats too much IMHO. I won;t go the the cheapest guy either - its my eyes for G*d sake!