• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Lawrence vs. Texas

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
There is no place for the government in the bedroom.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Well, it just confirms what my Drill Sergeant said: "Only two things come from Texas..."

Steak anyone? ;)

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
Age is relative. In some cultures, the girls are ready to marry as soon as they can menstruate. What about 17 with and 18 yr.old? Too close to call it statuatory rape isn't it? I think that law should be modified.

I mostly agree with giff57 on this one, government should stay out of the bedroom other than instances of rape; the government should be welcomed. Rights to do anything should have nothing at all to do with sexual preference or religion or race.

There are so many laws in place that are never enforced becasue they are severely outdated. I don't think police officers can just pick and choose when they want to enfoce a particular law..

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I have read the full text handed down yesterday (all 53 freaking pages) and the court DOES limit it, it has to be between consentinhg ADULTS who are able to consent and make such choices for themselves that takes care of the kids etc problem.

I think it is one of the land mark cases in modern US history and the precedent it sets for other cases is i HOPE just as strong

equal rights for everyone

Jeff

Cyburbian
Its a good thing its legal ... I know there were lots of people who refrained from doing this in public because it was illegal.

Just think, you don't have to hide in your bedroom anymore.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Well, here's my (no doubt controversial) opinion:

The Texas law was unbelievably stupid, out of date, and intolerant.

Nevertheless, the SCOTUS decision is a bad one.

I have to say, I'm with Justic Thomas on this one (his opinion, if your interested, is only one page long - the last of the slip opinion available through the link).

I don't think the SCOTUS should be striking down laws just because they're stupid, bad laws. I only think they should strike down the ones that are unconstitutional. I think that this one falls in the former category.

beninthejets

Jeff said:
Its a good thing its legal ... I know there were lots of people who refrained from doing this in public because it was illegal.

Just think, you don't have to hide in your bedroom anymore.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Good one.