• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

lax shave ethic and being a professional

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I have a real problem shaving on a regular basis. My beard grows relatively slowly and it takes at least a day or two before it is noticable. I never really think about it too often and I will go for a week and not shave.

What is everyone's experiences/thoughts on this? (mainly concerned about men's facial hair, but the women can definitely add to the discussion)

Is it unprofessional to not shave regularly? Or is it only a problem if someone has a 'talk' to you?

The Irish One

It's considered unprofessional in a lot of work places. I had to sign a work agreement (long time ago) saying I wouldn't grow a beard or mustache because it looks scruffy..

brandonmason

Cyburbian
Shaving is a big hassle for me, but awhile ago I turned to an electric shaver. It isn't as clean as a shave, but it is easier on the skin, faster, and less of a hassle -- it makes it so I actually shave everyday.

I'd say that going for a week without shaving is probably a bit much for a professional office. Being too scruffy is unprofessional, but it does depend on your working environment.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I despise shaving. I'd go for a beard or a Don Johnson if it were acceptable. But, I've sold out to the man! What's a tool to do?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Well groomed facial hair is acceptable regardless of length (just stop before you get to ZZ Top). Buy a beard trimmer and set it to a low setting, and hit it ever y 3-4 days, and you'll be fine with the Don Johnson IMHO.

Scruffy is not acceptable, as Irish One mentioned. (sorry Irish)

I think the same goes for hair length.

The Irish One

Scruffy is not acceptable, as Irish One mentioned. (sorry Irish)
I've got 2 weeks growth and my hair is getting bigger, I think it's my last chance before I too, become a tool. I'm going for the look in my avatar.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I do encounter the occasional bearded planner at conferences, and I wonder how they got that way. Is it okay to be scruffy while you're in the process of growing a beard?

My facial hair is scraggly, but it grows FAST; I have to shave twice a day when I have a date or Planning Commission meeting.

H

Cyburbian
I miss my winter beard (or suedo beard since it is red and not very thick). For the last several years while in Knoxville and Atlanta I grew a winter beard. Miami is just to hot to be scruffy, I don’t know how Don Johnson did it! ;)

donk

Cyburbian
I typically shave on mondays, wednesdays and fridays. The weekend, it depends. I'll also shave if I know I have an important meeting or presentation.

I'm lucky, my facial hair is relatively blonde and does not show too bad.

I do have mid length sideburns. When they get really bushy I know its time for a haircut.

I would never want a beard.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Nature is having her way with me, wherein she is raising my hairline (which I have no trouble with) while at the same time compensating with new hair in my eyebrows and ears (which I find a cruel joke). Since I have no desire to look like comrade Leonid Brezhnev, I spend much more time grooming then I care to. I do wear a salt-and-pepper goatee, regularly trimmed, because I have a baby face. Our personnel policy permits facial hair but it must be "neatly worn", whatever that means.

Each situation is different, but the more contact you have with people outside the office, the greater the need to present a professional appearance, including grooming, IMO.

boiker

Cyburbian
i normally shave every day.. although there is the occasionally stint where i miss a day.. with my hair growth rate.. it shows.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I shave every work day except Friday (casual day). I have fairly dark facial hair, so it does show if I don't shave. I don't feel comfortable being unshaven while wearing a shirt and tie. I rarely shave on the weekend unless I'm going out somewhere nice.

I usually attempt to grow a goatee once a year when I'm on vacation up at the cottage. I wear it for a few weeks afterwards until my wife forcibily tries to remove it. She likes the look, hates the feel.

SGB

Cyburbian
I shave about every other day. I sport a neatly trimmed mustache with long (down to the ear lobe) narrow trimmed sideburns.

Each fall, however, I usually try to grow a beard. After a couple of months, the novelty wears off for me and I remove it.

Regarding how much scruff is acceptable, I've found that if I keep it neatly trimmed (especially around the neckline), most people don't complain.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Dan said:
Is it okay to be scruffy while you're in the process of growing a beard?
No.

1) If you are too cheap to buy a trimmer with an adjustable blade guard, dont grow a beard.

2) Start by not shaving after Thursday morning, and only deal with one day of office scruff.

biscuit

Cyburbian
What is this "Beard" you speak of?

My facial hair is patchy and mostly blonde so I can go a day or two without shaving before it really starts to show. This Halloween i went as Indiana Jones and had to rub burnt cork on my face to create the illusion of stubble - even with three days of not shaving. It's kind of sad, 26 years old and I have to draw on facial hair. Although, even if I could grow a decent beard or even goatee, I'm not sure I would. I just don't like the feeling of not having a smooth face.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
If you trim around the neck line and shape around the cheeks during the first few scruffy days it looks groomed and folks can see what you are doing. I can pretty much do whatever the hell I want. A couple of Park and Rec Directors ago, the guy interviewed all clean cut, and after getting the job, shaved his head, grew a beard and started sporting the "Bling Bling". As long as I don't go that far, I'm ok.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
I've got the light skin and dark hair thing going so I need to shave everyday for work. The electric didn't do the trick. I hate shaving but I haven't seen any other guys not shave even for a day here - not even on casual day, which is weird because people dress pretty casual. On some days I've thought about skipping shaving but compensating by wearing dressier clothes. To think at 15 I couldn't wait to shave.

My grandfather used to tell a story about how in WWII he had an abusive sergeant who would yell at him for not shaving even though he did shave. He'd make him shave again until his face was raw. Eventually, he said he threatened the sergeant with a gun and then he left him alone. Keep in mind he was one for tall tales and I have no idea if this is true.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I get admittedly lazy at times when it comes to shaving.....but I keep it trimmed, and would be lost wothout my trimmer for my goatee. Trimmed and neat is the key to keeping a professional look IMHO.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
If you are growing a beard it usually is acceptable to look scruffy for a little while. The exception is when you may have an important meeting for which you should look professional. Your best bet may be to start it over a vacation. I would never come in for a normal day of work without shaving.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
biscuit said:
My facial hair is patchy and mostly blonde
Same here. I shave daily. I've made attempts at growing a mustache but it looks bad. I have no objections to facial hair on others provided it's neatly trimmed.

martini

Cyburbian
I HATE shaving. I've got the dark hair/light skin thing too. I usually shave every other day, since I can get away with that with out looking TOO bad. If I have a meeting on the 'off' day, I'll shave. In the summer, I usually shave my head too(queball). I'll grow it out in fall for two reasons: insulation and tired of shaving it. Around c-mas I'll shave it again for looks(I look MUCH better w/o hair), then let it grow again.

Speaking of which, better go shave....

otterpop

Cyburbian
Montana has a more casual attire attitude, so facial hair is not a problem.There are a lot of bearded planners in Montana, myself included. A beard is a pretty good indicator that the planner is "green", though that is by no means 100 percent reliable. Two of the planners in our office have beards. Another, who recently left, was alternatively clean-shaven and scruffy. He used to get a really good beard going after his week-long hunting trip.

I have had a beard since my 20s, though I shaved it for a couple jobs. I don't like to shave and I look better with a beard.

Fortunately my wife is Colombian and women in her country like men with facial and body hair because it is considered more masculine. Thank God there is a refuge for "monkey men."

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
I usually shave on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I usually don't do it more frequently because I don't own an electric and my skin is sensitive and gets totally ratched if I do it more often. My beard is dark and grows pretty fast, but it doesn't seem to be too bad on the "off" days to be an issue.

I think it really depends on the environment you're working in. If you work in a warehouse, just about anything goes. If you're in an office environment, things tend to be a little more conservative. I usually grow a beard in the winter, and I keep it trimmed and sculpted. It's a lot easier to maintain than clean shaven, but it's usually too hot in the summer to keep it. Too bad though, cause nerudite likes the facial hair thing when I have it going.

Personally, I do think there's a difference between the Don Johnson and "scruffy". Even Don had to trim to keep his look. Your trimming diligenge and hair growth rate are the real deciders.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
I shave if I feel like it. Up here in the boonies, beards and scruff are pretty normal. My hair is getting real long, too... I do need a haircut.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I shave daily, sometimes skipping casual Friday, too. My workplace does not have a policy against facial hair. I would not see a problem with beards as long as they are neat in appearance.

Usually in the fall I grow a goatee for the hunting season but just hate the days were it itches beyond belief. I usually shave in the shower becasuse it's easier on the face. I do have an electric but can only use it once before I have to go back to the blade.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I shave like once a week, although I could shave twice a week...
I just can't stand the facial hair... it just gets so itchy that I just have to shave...

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I shave twice a week, along with maintaining a groomed goatee. I don't think that a lax shaving ethic is unprofessional unless the beard is completely ungroomed.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
A few times during the year, usually in what passes for winter in NE Florida, a very large proportion of the men in our office grow goattees. It's the official facial hair of the department.

nerudite

Cyburbian
There aren't that many guys with beards around here. That being said, my boss has a goatee and one of my employees sports a soul patch. I don't really regard either as unprofessional... now the soul patch in combination with three earrings in one ear, including a hoop up in the cartiledge... it's pushing on unprofessional. But he's in an entry to low-journeyman type position, so I cut him a little slack.