• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.
  • On Thursday night (2/21), I did something I probably shouldn't have with the server. I lost about 90 posts and three new users in the process. If you registered on Thursday, please re-register. If you posted on Thursday, maybe post twice as much on Friday? Again, I apologize. :(

Lazy days of summer

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
HI ----the Board seems very quiet lately.

Maybe most of you are on a well-deserved vacation.

Chris and I are heading for England (my first time) on July 5 for three weeks. London and then coastal trails near Cornwall. And we intend to use trains and public transit --no cars.

Speaking of which ---a planning question---
will the current energy situation really prompt folks to return to energy efficient cars, or better yet, public transit, biking and even (gasp) walking? Or will the price of gasoline go down at some point, and then there will be a big surge in the purchase of SUV's and big, really big, Motor Homes, etc.

Enjoy the summer!!!! And the Cubs are in first place.....

Earl

Perry Norton

Cyburbian Emeritus
We will do what we can do to keep the Cubs in 1st Place! Have a good trip to England. We've been there several times and are ready to go again - except that this year we'll likely put it on hold. You'll have fun on the trains, using London as a point of departure.

Yes I think it is a long holiday. And the answer to your planning question is: the price of gasoline will go down - started to already - and people will begin to wonder if they need to trade in their SUV's. Nothing new on this side of the ocean.

Happy Traveling

Perry

BethN

Everytime I think I'm getting too old to get in and out of this dinky little Suzuki Swift I go to the gas pump and fill up and get myself a treat with the change I get from a ten dollar bill.

I'm surprised Perry still let's you keep the change? Just kidding, of course. You folks are beginning to make me feel guilty about my Jeep. Does it count that I'm forever building or planting and am constantly hauling stuff?
Cheers,

John

Perry Norton

Cyburbian Emeritus
Where do you take the stuff? I thought everything in your neck of the NYwoods was already stuffed.

Hi Perry!

I guess you're one house behind. After rebuilding the house in Mt Kisco. NY (which did involve a lot of hauling and stuffing) we got the call that Mom (mine)-then 85 years young- was giving up driving which I knew would mean she would soon be ready to give up the house and come and live with us. For all the room we added on in Mt. Kisco, we still needed a bigger house. So we had a new house built in New Fairfield Connecticut. I've got almost 3 acres and am down the road from a farm. So I've got plenty of room to build and plant. And a great need, given the normal devastation these builders perpetrate on the landscape. So I REALLY need my Jeep.

Actually they're pretty tough about additional structures. Even have to get a building permit for one of those free standing sheds and we're limited as to size. An interesting one size(literally) fits all planning philosophy. Apparently you get to build one 10 X 12 shed regardless of whether you're in the one acre or two acre zone or even if you have excess land. Seems a little inflexible to me. Planning by the numbers, I guess.

Cheers,

John

BethN

People who actually use their trucks for hauling and not *just* for show are granted amnesty from OVG. (Oversized Vehicle Guilt)

Earl,

Have a great time in England. I was there exactly 30 years this summer courtesy of Uncle Sam and the USAF. My theory is that no matter where our forebears actually came from, we're all a little British. Was it Churchill who said we're two people separated by a common language?

As to gasoline, I'm certainly hoeful that the price will go down. I confess I really like my Jeep. But all the stuff I'm reading lately also gives me hope for more energy efficient vehicles. Hybrids; fuel cells, etc.

I think you're prediction is right on target, Perry. It does seem frustrating if not downright conspiratorial that energy prices go up, then back down, but never down to what they were. So we simply get used to the higher prices. Remember when we thought a dollar a gallon was high?

Anyway I continue to hope for a technological solution which will make sense. As to walking or biking, I guess that gets back to one of our recent discussions about optimal community size (and design). Our layout and lifestyle here in the Northeast, I fear, are too far gone for anything but the auto and some public transport.

But meanwhile, enjoy your holiday. I never got to Cornwall but thought it sounded pretty neat on the old Masterpiece Theatre series Poldark.

Cheers,