• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Le Tour de France 2003 Centenary

The Irish One

Will Lance Armstrong and team Postal destroy Le Tour de France, crushing the world of bicycling with American force. The glory of Texas and the USA accelerate up the Pyrenese like an F-16 accelerates flying away from the earth (I think it does). Does Europe weep at the site of the Dear Leader (Lance)victoriously riding, engraving, carving "their" sport into the dirty cowboy, oil barren, steak and potato eating, Star Spangled American heart.
God, I hope so.

Yes, he will win. I only wonder if it is acceptable for the USA to ever let another European win Le Tour de France.

Next we gloriously take the World Cup from the world of soccer. MUUUUWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEN THE WHOLE WORLD WILL CRY THAT THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER HAS LEFT ITS MARK EVERYWHERE.

Rem

Cyburbian
Grace in victory (before the race is run no less). A lesson for us all.

Jeff

Cyburbian
If the team cracks he will not win. With Beloki out his chances at victory are now better but Alex Vinokourev is riding with a vengence trying to win for himself and his buddy Kivilev.

Alp Duez is where the USPS boys usually put minutes into the others, it didn't happen this year, so LA is going to have to dig deep in the TT to put some time into the others.

Tyler Hamilton sure would be the sentimental favorite though, you can't count him out yet, but the CSC squad really doesn't have much to offer.

This could go either way, I'm not sure about Vino's TT abilities but Tyler is fast as is Ullrich (whos been too quiet, something is coming from him). Anyway that's my $0.02

PLEASE.....don't discuss any of the current days stages without putting some kind of BOLD WARNING in the opening lines.

I go home and watch it ;)

donk

Cyburbian
Like hell you go home and watch it.

That is what www.eurosport.com is for. Live text feeds updated every 2 -3 minutes. If ytou have a sound card you can listen to the entire stage every day.

We'll see after the ITT what the standings are. it could be like last year when lance had the poker face on for the first week then opened it up.

If only Steve Bauer could have won a tour.

Gotta go the TT should be starting any minute.

Last edited:

The Irish One

The original post was clearly a joke, but nevertheless intended to spark a discussion about the race.

Beloki being out is a damn shame and it is less of a race for everyone.

As for Ullrich, I don't know how to read this guy. If he's holding back on some major attack I'd be shocked. To see him gain 2:10 on Lance, Shocked I tell you! Alexandre Vinokourov is clearly the man to watch and I'm sure Lance is probably feeling the competition, as he inches closer. We'll see after stage 13 and 14, if he's going to break away with a lead that should be the time to do it.

donk

Cyburbian
maybe if there was a dance bar with coke and e for teh winner of a stage we'd see ullrich ride better.

it is a shame that Jan has never lived up to his potential, or maybe it is a shame that lance has exceeded what was thought he'd be able to do.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
We should all call it Tour de Lance. Makes me feel good to know he has won 4 and posibly 5 in a row. He would then tie Miguel Indurain with 5 wins in a row.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I'm rooting for him, I hope he wins. Anyone read his book that came out a couple of years ago? As sports (and life stories) books go, it was one of the most interesting I've ever read.

donk

Cyburbian
As always the scenery is beautiful during the tour.

if I ever win the lottery or can save up the funds visiting france during the tour is on my list of things to do.[

el Guapo

Capitalist
Greenescapist said:
I'm rooting for him, I hope he wins. Anyone read his book that came out a couple of years ago? As sports (and life stories) books go, it was one of the most interesting I've ever read.
Yep, I read it. I really enjoyed it. This is my first time watching the tour. I like it because it seems to have the lowest mullet factor of any racing I have seen. Tyler Hamelton sure is an inspiration. I'm suprised how glued to the set I am.

Habanero

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
We should all call it Tour de Lance. Makes me feel good to know he has won 4 and posibly 5 in a row. He would then tie Miguel Indurain with 5 wins in a row.
While living in Austin a ton of people cheering him on from home had a Vive La Lance stickers on their car. I hope he does win, but like Mike said, don't ruin it for me- it's on cable when I get home- I like to see it for myself.

Rem

Cyburbian
EG said:
I like it because it seems to have the lowest mullet factor of any racing I have seen.
Don't be fooled by the helmets.
Irish One - I could see the joke. I would be bragging myself, about the Aussies in the sprints (Green Jersey, first and second), but that might expose my ignorance about the sport. Lance Armstrong is obviously incredible - you should celebrate.

Runner

Cyburbian
I sure am rooting for Lance!
I just wonder how much this past years domestic turmoil has been a factor in him appearing weaker than past years?

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
As always the scenery is beautiful during the tour.
Tomorrow they go through my favorite town in France: Carcassone. There is the new town and then there is the walled medieval city... just amazing. The scenery tomorrow should be nice too... love that Mediterranean! I hated Toulouse though... I wouldn't want to be stuck there again. I wish I could go back to follow the tour as well... it's definitely one of the more dramatic races to watch, even for a layperson such as me.

Jeff

Cyburbian
EG said:
Tyler Hamelton sure is an inspiration.
Word on the street is that he has the tiniest of fractures in his collarbones, or he may not have an injury at all. I think hes bluffing, so the USPS boys don't pay him much attention, but we'll see I guess.

If you guys like watching the Tour, watch the Tour of Spain in September, its so much better. Teams are actually in there because they're good, not because they're French.

donk

Cyburbian
To back mike up, and I wish I could find it again, there is a picture of his xray floating around on cyclingnews.com. It did not look too bad, but it could depend on his muscles and nerves.

We'll see after today's tt how things are going to play out.

Jeff

Cyburbian
COMMENT ON FRIDAY STAGE

COMMENT ON FRIDAY STAGE

Well my friends ruined it for me. Don't say I didn't say so. WTF???

donk

Cyburbian
Jan must have gone to the disco last night.

wait for the drug test results.

martini

Cyburbian
No doubt about that. I was waiting to see is Jan would pull something like this. Big Jonny at Drunk cyclist is gonna love this one. Any one 'read' his site? hehe. This isn't gonna be an easy one for Lance to recover from. He's gonn hafta fight the rest of the tour, that's for sure.

donk

Cyburbian
I love drunk cyclist, just don't link to it. Mike D, you should check it out especially for pictures of your favourite lady. (Just not from work)

martini

Cyburbian
donk said:
I love drunk cyclist, just don't link to it. Mike D, you should check it out especially for pictures of your favourite lady. (Just not from work)
yeah. It's not a site to visit during business hours to say the least.! It's about manly man stuff. Beer, bikes, babes, ballistics, boozin' and general rowdiness.

donk

Cyburbian
today's stage is shaping up really nicely.

I wish I had OLN or a sound card in my computer.

donk

Cyburbian
today is a rest day.

yesterday's stage read really well. I'm sure the wrap up sunday will highlight yesterdays race as one of the best since lance crushed jan's spirit two years ago in the rain. that was the best image ever, seeing the fear in jan's eyes and his heart being shattered. Similar to lance's heart in the TT this year.

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:
today is a rest day.

Yeah but apparently Jan is recreating the Nelly videos out at Le Hotel's pool. Everyone is sitting around sipping on Alize and eating E-Bombs

Jeff

Cyburbian
and he apparently just lit up the Eiffel Tower too, damn Germans. They're worse than the Canadians.

donk

Cyburbian
That is why canada, and the world is going to hell #1.

This item caused a boycott of our race last year, many of the girls are very upset still about this.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Hmmmmm....I would look good as a chick.

Thats BS, I ride with our UCI Team (women) like every weekend when I'm not racing and they suck. I could totally kick ass if I raced against chicks, well maybe not against the T-Mobile chicks because I think they are all genetic mutations of females anyway, but....

Jeff

Cyburbian
The Telekom and Euskatel boys are a disgrace. How do you let a banged up dude like Tyler Hamilton get away and then not be able to bring him back in 100K ?

donk

Cyburbian
We call it "pussy pedalling" around here.

i could not believe that no team thought it important enough to chase him down after 50km, he did not lose substantial time until the last 25 km, when it was too late.

Tyler definitely sets a new standard of toughness. The tour would have been even better if he was healthy.

Last edited: