• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Leafblowers

AG74683

Cyburbian
I cleaned the gutters on Sunday. I decided not to wear gloves because I can't get my hand into a lot of spots with them on. Now I have like a million little splinters and random junk stuck in my left hand. It's all super small and impossible to remove with regular tweezers too.

I also found out that my leaf blower is effectively worthless now. The batteries last for like 10 minutes or less and only one of my chargers is currently working. I guess it's time to upgrade. I'll probably get a Milwaukee one to match all my other higher end batteries, but I really need to get a gas one eventually, probably a Stihl backpack model.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I also found out that my leaf blower is effectively worthless now. The batteries last for like 10 minutes or less and only one of my chargers is currently working. I guess it's time to upgrade. I'll probably get a Milwaukee one to match all my other higher end batteries, but I really need to get a gas one eventually, probably a Stihl backpack model.
I've always used corded electric leaf blowers.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I'll be using this on the roof and really don't want to drag a cord with me. My yard is a decent size too, and there are areas I'll need to access that would require a fairly lengthy cord. Same reason why I struggle to use a corded trimmer. I've used it once and I couldn't reach a lot of where I needed to go.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I'll be using this on the roof and really don't want to drag a cord with me. My yard is a decent size too, and there are areas I'll need to access that would require a fairly lengthy cord. Same reason why I struggle to use a corded trimmer. I've used it once and I couldn't reach a lot of where I needed to go.
Ah, gotcha. Cordless makes sense for that.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I cleaned the gutters on Sunday. I decided not to wear gloves because I can't get my hand into a lot of spots with them on. Now I have like a million little splinters and random junk stuck in my left hand. It's all super small and impossible to remove with regular tweezers too.

I prefer corded leaf blowers over battery-powered but I hear you on the hassle of using them on your roof with a cord. I have a huge extension cord (100' maybe?) and if I plug it in at a certain outlet, I can reach every part of my roof but I'm constantly untangling the cord or getting it unstuck from under a shingle or around a chimney/exhaust. One of my nephews works on a landscaping crew and they do my fall cleanup every year and they have some awesomely powerful gas leaf blowers. I wish I could justify the cost for one of those but considering I only really use it to clean my gutters and occasionally my patio, that's not really a wise investment.

AG74683

Cyburbian
One of my nephews works on a landscaping crew and they do my fall cleanup every year and they have some awesomely powerful gas leaf blowers. I wish I could justify the cost for one of those but considering I only really use it to clean my gutters and occasionally my patio, that's not really a wise investment.
I really want a Stihl backpack one. I'll be looking at the BR200, but it will cost like $280. Probably way more than I need though. I do love Stihl products though. I spent about that much on a weed eater 2 years ago and it's easily the best investment I've made as far as yard equipment. They have to be used on a somewhat regular basis though. We have a lot of issues with our Stihl equipment on the fire trucks, but they don't have regular use. I'll probably pick it up once I pay off my credit card.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I wish I could justify the cost for one of those but considering I only really use it to clean my gutters and occasionally my patio, that's not really a wise investment.
I really just use mine a few times a year to clear the driveway, so, yeah, I don't need to invest in the higher-end gas models.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator note:

split from RTDNTOTO

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
So you guys are the ones making all that racket every weekend.

:smirk:

Here are representative photos of my leafblower:

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
I really just use mine a few times a year to clear the driveway, so, yeah, I don't need to invest in the higher-end gas models.
Me too. I know I don't NEED that Stihl. But I want it! I just don't want to deal with batteries as much as possible.

DVD

Cyburbian
I just have a cheap B&D corded leaf blower to gather up all the pine needles in my yard after every storm. It's the neighbor's pine trees. Who has F'ing pine trees in the Arizona desert? Old people from the midwest that for some reason think there is a need for yard work. If there were no pine trees there would be very little yard work around my house.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I just have a cheap B&D corded leaf blower to gather up all the pine needles in my yard after every storm. It's the neighbor's pine trees. Who has F'ing pine trees in the Arizona desert? Old people from the midwest that for some reason think there is a need for yard work. If there were no pine trees there would be very little yard work around my house.
I will never buy a house with pine trees anywhere close by. I have 6 massive pine trees within 30 feet of my house. They rain down pine cones on the roof constantly and the pine needles never stop falling.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I really want a Stihl backpack one. I'll be looking at the BR200, but it will cost like $280. Probably way more than I need though. I do love Stihl products though. I spent about that much on a weed eater 2 years ago and it's easily the best investment I've made as far as yard equipment. They have to be used on a somewhat regular basis though. We have a lot of issues with our Stihl equipment on the fire trucks, but they don't have regular use. I'll probably pick it up once I pay off my credit card.
Out of curiosity, does the fire department use premixed gas or do you guys mix your own for their Stilh equipment? Sometime back I started using Trufuel and I haven't had near the issues that I used to have.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Out of curiosity, does the fire department use premixed gas or do you guys mix your own for their Stilh equipment? Sometime back I started using Trufuel and I haven't had near the issues that I used to have.
We use premix IIRC. I think we use VP though.

Honestly I think it's that people don't really get how Stihl equipment works. You have to prime the bulb a little more than usual (like 6-7 times over the normal 5) and you only use the full choke for maybe one pull. After that you cut it to half and it should start up right away. It doesn't quite follow their own instruction manual for the starting process. I learned that with my weed eater.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I bought into the Milwaukee system for drills and smaller tools, and Ryobi for yard tools. Ryobi has a wider variety of tools in their ecosystem, and batteries are a LOT cheaper. Ryobi isn't pro quality, but it's okay for a homeowner use.

As for leaves, I mulch them into the lawn. We had hardpan clay soils, and what passes as a "nice" lawn here will get you sued by an HOA anywhere else in the country. The more topsoil I can create, the better. Gravel driveways are the norm around here, and any leaves that fall on my driveway (an uncommon #411/pea gravel surface, not the rocky #3 surfaces that predominate) will get chewed up under my tires. We pay for gutter cleaning.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I will never buy a house with pine trees anywhere close by. I have 6 massive pine trees within 30 feet of my house. They rain down pine cones on the roof constantly and the pine needles never stop falling.
I live in what amounts to the middle of a pine forest with some live oak and a few other trees mixed in. Pine straw can be annoying at times.

Bubba

Cyburbian
We pay for gutter cleaning.
^^^This. The back of my house is three stories (daylight basement). I am not getting that high on a ladder or attempting to maneuver on the roof.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
^^^This. The back of my house is three stories (daylight basement). I am not getting that high on a ladder or attempting to maneuver on the roof.
On the other end, I have a ranch and getting up there to clean the gutters by hand once the in spring and end of fall is easy-peasy.

Bubba

Cyburbian
On the other end, I have a ranch and getting up there to clean the gutters by hand once the in spring and end of fall is easy-peasy.
My childhood home was a ranch - no gutters, but I used to get up on the roof as a teenager to clear the pine straw (or to get our cat off the roof).

Planit

Cyburbian
Mrs. P went and bought a battery-powered leaf blower yesterday just like the one her brother has. I asked her why since I do all the required leaf blowing jobs. She said she never liked our corded one because of the cord and having to put all that back up. She said this one is easier to use and her brother raved about it. It's my job this weekend to mount the charger on the garage wall and someplace to hang it.

We'll see who ends up using it.

AG74683

Cyburbian
^^^

I bought a corded one for a temporary fill in until I can get something a little better and I really kind of hate it. The leafblower is great, the cords are not.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
So you guys are the ones making all that racket every weekend.

:smirk:

Here are representative photos of my leafblower:

Yep, us too - my landscape-architect-husband will have none of that leaf-blowing-BS lol

Fall cleanup is exhausting and spring cleanup is worse at our house ugh

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
No leaf blower here. As mendelman says, the sound is despicable.

My neighborhood has a very large number of mature Pin Oak trees, including a very large specimen in my neighbor's backyard. (I am not a fan of Pin Oaks one bit, and even had a forester friend come give the neighbor's tree a lookover as I dreaded it may take a tumble onto my house. According to my friend, I needn't worry. Nonetheless, it drops limbs and branches regularly; it's nuts sustain a massive squirrel family happily in my backyard; and waits to drop its leaves after all the other trees in the neighborhood have long since dropped theirs. Bastard!)

My mulching mower does fine with the bagger attachment for the lawn. But the Pin Oak leaves in the garden (such as it is at my house) are a royal pain in the butt. The leaves that blow into the shrubs are the worst, as the only way to get them out is by hand. I love its shade, but I hate that tree.:wow:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We don't have a blower yet for the beach house. The guy that comes to mow the yard regularly uses a mulching attachment in the fall and that seems to do the trick. There are around 10 black locust trees (nasty but they have tiny leaves) and there are one maple, one wild cherry, and one mulberry in the backyard. Intermediate plan is to eliminate all but the maple tree in the backyard and plant a sassafras tree in an appropriate location.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Junior got a "free" gas powered leaf blower at an estate sale this summer. He asked the auctioneer if it worked and when they tried to demonstrate its' operability they couldn't get it to start, so they gave it to him for free to take off their hands. Since that time, Junior has worked assiduously on getting that blower to run. So far he's purchased a new fuel line, carb cleaner, and replacement choke to the tune of $40 and it still doesn't run. He justifies the continued expenses by explaining 'well it's a $200 leaf blower, so I'm going to end up saving money in the end once it's running' Personally, I think he likes to tinker and doesn't mind flushing his money down the toilet so long as it's 'fun'

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Junior got a "free" gas powered leaf blower at an estate sale this summer. He asked the auctioneer if it worked and when they tried to demonstrate its' operability they couldn't get it to start, so they gave it to him for free to take off their hands. Since that time, Junior has worked assiduously on getting that blower to run. So far he's purchased a new fuel line, carb cleaner, and replacement choke to the tune of $40 and it still doesn't run. He justifies the continued expenses by explaining 'well it's a $200 leaf blower, so I'm going to end up saving money in the end once it's running' Personally, I think he likes to tinker and doesn't mind flushing his money down the toilet so long as it's 'fun'
That's not a bad thing though. Being able to fix anything for so many folks is a lost art. Having a mechanical mind that can figure stuff out will take him far. He'll learn far more from working on that leaf blower than a $100 toy.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
That's not a bad thing though. Being able to fix anything for so many folks is a lost art. Having a mechanical mind that can figure stuff out will take him far. He'll learn far more from working on that leaf blower than a $100 toy.
There's a silver lining for you. That, and it means he's not disassembling our television to see what's inside...and not being able to put it back together again.