• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Leech therapy

nerudite

Cyburbian
It looks like medieval medicine is making a comeback as the Germans find leech therapy a possible treatment for arthritis.

I think I would have to be suffering pretty bad to want one of those bloodsuckers on me!

kms

Cyburbian
A nurse just recently told me that leeches are still used for certain treatments. I saw a report on TV that showed how leeches are used to stimulate growth of new, small blood vessels after some surgeries. It would just stimulate me to throw up, and that's probably why they use a screen so people can't see the treatment.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
The treatment works very well for part re-attachments. Supposed to stimulate blood flow.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Does anyone know more about this? Do they reuse the same leeches? If so, what is the risk of contamination for blood-bourne diseases?

nerudite said:
Does anyone know more about this? Do they reuse the same leeches? If so, what is the risk of contamination for blood-bourne diseases?
Oh gosh. I can see the ramifications already. Patients contacting H.I.V. from contaminated leeches and such.

Tom R

Cyburbian
jwb

giff57 said:
The treatment works very well for part re-attachments. Supposed to stimulate blood flow.
Makes one wonder about John Wayne Bobbit.

tsc

Cyburbian
If they don't reuse the leeches... I wonder what they do with them.... does PETA get involved.... do they have a retirement pond?

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Makes me think there's hope for all those unemployed leeches out there (sorry brothers-in-law)